The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-04-2024, 08:01 PM
Charter Member

Default Gig bag for Godin 5th Avenue

Any suggestions for a good snug fit gig bag for a Godin 5th Avenue? I have a very cheap jumbo gig bag for it at the moment. However, I'm gigging the guitar and I need something better suited for transportation and daily life.

Although it is a cheap second hand guitar, its value to me as an instrument is way beyond its financial value. So I'm happy to spend some money getting a gig bag that is a true "gig bag".

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-04-2024, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
Any suggestions for a good snug fit gig bag for a Godin 5th Avenue?...I'm gigging the guitar and I need something better suited for transportation and daily life...

Although it is a cheap second hand guitar, its value to me as an instrument is way beyond its financial value. So I'm happy to spend some money...
Spend the money for something a little better - and far more protective:

https://godinguitars.com/tric.htm

FYI I have the original version for my Godin CW II electric: as light as a gigbag, and the current versions have an outside pocket and provisions for shoulder straps - should you decide to go this route, the Multi-Fit is the one you want:

https://godinguitars.com/sizing_chart_14.pdf
Old 03-04-2024, 10:10 PM

I'm a big fan of the TRIC cases. As Steve says, light, highly protective, have straps like a bag, but are fully rigid Styrofoam type cases inside the nylon gig-bad like cover.

My worry is that I'm not sure they are still being made. Anyone bought one in the past year?

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-05-2024, 12:20 PM

Default Unfortunately, no

I just checked Godin and did a general google search. TRIC bags are only available used.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 03-05-2024, 01:27 PM

Those Tric bags were nice...

I can recommend the Gator Pro-Go bag. My kid uses it to schlep his 335 and Tele, depending which he's using. It's pretty sturdy with lots of pockets.
Old 03-05-2024, 02:12 PM
Charter Member

It's proving difficult to judge sizing when I look at gig bags on line. I wonder if I could get away with a classical size bag (15 1/2" internal) as a dread or jumbo will be too big. I like the look of the Gator pro. Perhaps I should go for the dread size?

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 03-05-2024, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin, Wales View Post
It's proving difficult to judge sizing when I look at gig bags on line. I wonder if I could get away with a classical size bag (15 1/2" internal) as a dread or jumbo will be too big. I like the look of the Gator pro. Perhaps I should go for the dread size?
I'd be glad to measure the kid's when he gets home. Or put the Eastman Ar805 in to see how it fits. Not sure of its measurements compared to the Godin's...
Old 03-05-2024, 04:24 PM
Charter Member

Take measurements and contact Mono.
Old 03-08-2024, 09:30 AM

I have a Levy's bag that fits my 000-15 and my Heritage 575, as well as the Godin (though for that I just always use the TRIC) Fits a classical as well. Only measurement to be certain of is total length, a bag made specifically for a classical MIGHT be too short.

The TRIC's are really something, though. The way they regulate temperature in particular is nuts.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 03-09-2024, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
I have a Levy's bag that fits my 000-15 and my Heritage 575, as well as the Godin (though for that I just always use the TRIC) Fits a classical as well. Only measurement to be certain of is total length, a bag made specifically for a classical MIGHT be too short.

The TRIC's are really something, though. The way they regulate temperature in particular is nuts.
I've generally gotten over the not ruling the world thing, -- but I'd still be disappointed if Godin has in fact discontinued the TRIC case line. They're just a great solution at an affordable price. As a Minnesotan I too admire the thermal insulation of these cases.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 03-09-2024, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

I may be able to find a TRIC case the right size. I'm in Norway this week but I will continue my search when I get home.

Old 03-11-2024, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

I like Taylor’s Big Baby gig bag. They’re usually easy to find online and cheap but pretty heavy duty.
Old 03-11-2024, 02:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollypolly View Post
I like Taylor’s Big Baby gig bag. They’re usually easy to find online and cheap but pretty heavy duty.
Does it fit a Godin 5th Avenue?

Old 03-12-2024, 01:47 PM

I looked up 5th Ave dimensions which seem to be slightly smaller in width and length than a dreadnought but bigger than an OM. Any dreadnought size bag should fit. Amazon has a wide choice. I bought some on sale, 10mm thick for $25 during Prime days.

Personally, I wouldn't use a gig bag for gigging. They may keep dust and scratches off but most do little to keep your neck from breaking or top /side cracking in the event of your guitar being dropped, or another piece of equipment falling on it in transport. I like a hard case. Most plywood $120 cases should do, short of flying in a cargo hold.
Old 03-17-2024, 07:01 PM

I’m glad you started this thread. I am wondering about a good bag for my L-50. I bought it with the original chipboard case from 1960, which has a chunk missing where the right side of the lower bout would be (it has some foam inserts there to cover the hole; don’t know if Mandolin Brothers did that or the previous owner). And the gig bag I have it in is itself 30-odd years old, in tatters, and good for little more than keeping the dust off.

I’m thinking that whatever works for a J-45 should work for an archtop, but I’m not sure yet. Maybe that will work for you too.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops