The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-08-2018, 11:19 AM
Charter Member

Yes. Sounds very good with my Helix.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:11 PM

Have any of you used any backing tracks (drums, bass, etc.) or just played regular recorded music through it? Just curious how that sounds. I posted originally on here lookng for a small set-up for home karaoke parties I sometimes do--my primary choice would be the HK Lucas Nano 608i but I'm a ways off from affording that. But maybe 2 of the Bose S1 would be an idea--I could use them even camping and what not with the batteries and link them with a cable. But maybe they won't have enough oomph for something like that.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durnbock View Post
Have any of you used any backing tracks (drums, bass, etc.) or just played regular recorded music through it? Just curious how that sounds. I posted originally on here lookng for a small set-up for home karaoke parties I sometimes do--my primary choice would be the HK Lucas Nano 608i but I'm a ways off from affording that. But maybe 2 of the Bose S1 would be an idea--I could use them even camping and what not with the batteries and link them with a cable. But maybe they won't have enough oomph for something like that.

The Bose has no where near the same bass as the 608i. I have both in the same room. It’s not even close.
Old 02-08-2018, 07:48 PM

Quote:
You do realize that two S1’s will cost $1400+(tax, ship)? There are a ton of options far better suited for karaoke parties that won’t cost close to a set of S1’s and could handle screaming drunk singers with first, survival and second, better sound! Try a set of K8’s and a battery+inverter+charger set. Maybe $1100-1200 and an extreme difference in headroom and max volume.

JBL Eon10’s and a mixer would save you over $200 and again, far more power, more utility and better sound.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:37 PM

Yeah, I realize that the S1s will be pricey, just loved the portability of them and the battery ability.

Dave, I think you are still right on about the 608i. Probably the best choice for small stuff. Do you think there is any way the 608i could handle a decent -sized room, like a bar? My usual shows each month are at a place that is probably two 30' by 30' rooms. Likely 100 people max. Just wondering if it would be enough to function as a regular set-up as well as the small parties. That would be really awesome!

Either way, still need to save more gig money!
Old 02-08-2018, 08:42 PM

Plus I always get excited about the new toys! My wife is very close to having an intervention for my obsessive PA shopping...
Old 02-08-2018, 08:57 PM

Default Bose S1 II (following the previous thread)

Quote:
Yeah, I realize that the S1s will be pricey, just loved the portability of them and the battery ability.

Dave, I think you are still right on about the 608i. Probably the best choice for small stuff. Do you think there is any way the 608i could handle a decent -sized room, like a bar? My usual shows each month are at a place that is probably two 30' by 30' rooms. Likely 100 people max. Just wondering if it would be enough to function as a regular set-up as well as the small parties. That would be really awesome!

The 608i is a ~500 watt RMS system with a 10” woofer and 130 dB max SPL. I would consider it a serious medium sized system. It can handle a bar with no trouble. The Nano 300 systems have an 8” woofer with 230 watts and a lower max SPL. So, that might be a better fit for your application.

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-08-2018 at 09:46 PM.
Old 02-08-2018, 10:50 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:

I’ve done gigs in rooms that seat 200+ with my 608i with ho problem. That’s why it is so good - it is very portable and you will not find much it can’t handle.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:24 AM

Picked up mine last night at a local Bose store. Only had about 30 minutes to play around. First impression was great. Vocal is simple. Tone match, roll of the bass a little (when it’s on a stand) and add a touch of reverb. Vocals a very nice. Smooth to my ears. I have a baritone voice so I usually feel I need to roll of the bass and add something to the high end. With a mixer, I usually cut the mids quite a lot, but seems I don’t need to with the S1. The eq adjusts are great. Seems there is a lot of range and a little adjustment goes a long way.

Guitar seems a little more challenging. I have a Martin D16 with Baggs Anthem SL. Doesn’t sound right with the tone match. Actually sounds better with the vocal tone match. Maybe because of the mic in the guitar? Any experience from you guys on this? Trying to keep it simple and avoid putting anything into the signal chain (Like my Play Acoustic, Zoom A3 or Baggs Para DI). Hopefully I can get what I want with a little experimentation. May need to work a little on the mic/ UST balance. I had used a thin sounded powered speaker before so I probably had too much of the UST since I needed more bass. Love to experiment though.

It is much louder and more full than I thought. More to come....
Old 02-09-2018, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Picked up mine last night at a local Bose store. Only had about 30 minutes to play around. First impression was great. Vocal is simple. Tone match, roll of the bass a little (when it’s on a stand) and add a touch of reverb. Vocals a very nice. Smooth to my ears. I have a baritone voice so I usually feel I need to roll of the bass and add something to the high end. With a mixer, I usually cut the mids quite a lot, but seems I don’t need to with the S1. The eq adjusts are great. Seems there is a lot of range and a little adjustment goes a long way.

Guitar seems a little more challenging. I have a Martin D16 with Baggs Anthem SL. Doesn’t sound right with the tone match. Actually sounds better with the vocal tone match. Maybe because of the mic in the guitar? Any experience from you guys on this? Trying to keep it simple and avoid putting anything into the signal chain (Like my Play Acoustic, Zoom A3 or Baggs Para DI). Hopefully I can get what I want with a little experimentation. May need to work a little on the mic/ UST balance. I had used a thin sounded powered speaker before so I probably had too much of the UST since I needed more bass. Love to experiment though.

Lot of us don’t use the tone match with our newer pickups. The newer pickups were designed to produce a good signal into a flat mixer. So I just leave it off. I think their tone match might improve a plain under saddle piezo.

Last edited by martingitdave; 02-09-2018 at 11:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnDWilliams View Post
I’ve done gigs in rooms that seat 200+ with my 608i with ho problem. That’s why it is so good - it is very portable and you will not find much it can’t handle.

John, I did the firmware update on my 608i last night. It’s like a whole new unit with the presets and stable Bluetooth. My unit also stopped producing hiss after the update. The presets on the mixer sound great. I streamed some audio over Bluetooth and it was excellent. Thanks again!
Old 02-09-2018, 08:33 AM

Hey Congrats Marty on your new S1 Pro.

Look forward to more of your thoughts and reviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post

Old 02-09-2018, 09:15 AM
Charter Member

Does anyone know if the S1 is available at BOSE outlet stores or only music stores or both?

I know at one time the outlets carried even the L1 but that last time I stopped into an outlet store (around Christmas time) they said they now only carry the Compact and that the L1's, subs and Tonematch products were only sold online or in music stores that are authorized dealers.

My local store has some S1's on order but I got to thinking I have an outlet pretty near me that might have them. Of course I can just call but wondered where people were buying these at?
Iris OG Model Tuxedo Finish
Iris AB Model Big Leaf Maple B/S
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin
Old 02-09-2018, 09:20 AM

My local GC and Sam Ash both have them in stock.

I think Marty C mentioned getting at Bose Store.

Why not give your Bose store a shout?

Quote:
Originally Posted by benderman57 View Post
Does anyone know if the S1 is available at BOSE outlet stores or only music stores or both?

I know at one time the outlets carried even the L1 but that last time I stopped into an outlet store (around Christmas time) they said they now only carry the Compact and that the L1's, subs and Tonematch products were only sold online or in music stores that are authorized dealers.

My local store has some S1's on order but I got to thinking I have an outlet pretty near me that might have them. Of course I can just call but wondered where people were buying these at?
Old 02-09-2018, 09:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeStone View Post
My local GC and Sam Ash both have them in stock.

I think Marty C mentioned getting at Bose Store.

Why not give your Bose store a shout?
I will, actually the Bose outlet is much closer to me than the nearest GC. I called my local music store that does carry Bose and they said they were on order but I've heard this so many times from them. Seems like they are always about the last around to get anything new? By the time they get theirs in they might already have a new version out!
Iris OG Model Tuxedo Finish
Iris AB Model Big Leaf Maple B/S
Many Takamine Pro series
Godin A8 Mandolin

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification