The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 06-10-2012, 06:56 PM

Default New Uke Day

Finally, after 5 years I got my first McKnight! Well...sorta!

At the annual McKnight Guitars Jam (or McJam for short) Tim and Mary (and attendees and some sponsors) provide door prizes which are in turn raffled off. The grand prize was offered as a special raffle to original McJammers who randomly drew envelopes containing puzzles of a McKnight guitar headstock. On the back of the puzzle was a secret message which revealed a different prize for each. Somehow fate smiled on me and I received the Second McKnight () Ukelele in existence. Ain't it cute?

That, BTW, is my younger son Joseph (Joey, though my other son is the jumpy one!) who likes to be involved. I've been trying to finish my own uke build for over a year now but the neck joint is a bit tricky!

I snuck a peek inside Tim's build though so I could see how he kept the neck so firmly attached, though Tim told me not to look too closely!

Seriously, though, I've been blessed to have known Tim and Mary McKnight for 5 years now. While I'm technically not a customer (the lottery tickets aren't paying off, I'm afraid, and the waiting list now has a waiting list) I'm glad to call them friends and honorary family members. I look forward to the McJam every year, not only to admire his guitars but to catch up on things with the wonderful people who flock to the quiet little village in the middle of corn country in central Ohio. This little momento is going to be cherished for years to come - and kept out of the kiddies' reach!

...now to learn how to play the thing!
Old 06-10-2012, 06:59 PM

Great writeup, Kwak! It was an honor to get to know you a bit and share the fun of the 'lottery'....you are on the agenda for an awesome uke solo next year!

Acorn House Custom by Chris Kenney:Tinman "Heart Guitar" SJ
McKnight Mini-Mac V; Madagascar RW, Italian/Carpathian top; exquisite!
John Helton Custom OM; Honduran Mahogany Burl "the Growler"
Rainsong H-DR1100N2
Journey travel guitar in Nashville high tuning

"The music lives in the musician; not the instrument."
Old 06-11-2012, 01:50 AM
AGF Owner & Founder

Very cool!! Congrats! That's a lovely Uke! Tim and Mary are two of the best people I've met. I'm extremely thankful to know them and count them among my friends.

JR
Old 06-11-2012, 11:30 AM

Nice! Enjoy!
Old 06-11-2012, 03:18 PM

That's a great story, and one happy camper in the pic! The McJam sounded like a great week-end for all.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:23 PM
AGF Sponsor

Neil, he is too cute. I want you to get a good quality picture even if only from your own camera that we can post in the McLoft. Make sure the peg head is clearly visible so we can forever remember the 5th anniversary McUke.

(And, Guys, thank you for all the kind words. You win our hearts.)

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

I'll continue "Doin' Life ... As a Luthier's Wife"
McJam = Guitar private event June 21-22, 2024
[email protected]
Pre-sign is required and begins now.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:42 PM
*mahoganut*

Neil, that's a great picture and a great memory! Well done, friend, and if you are even partially successful at playing Uke as you are playing guitar we are in for a treat!

Best,

Phil
Old 06-12-2012, 04:53 AM
AGF Sponsor

Neil needs to get crackin' on the uke so we can have a "different" sound at McJam 2013.

Feel free to bring your wig and entertain us with a touch of "Tip toe through the Tulips."

AGF MCKNIGHT GUITAR SNIPPETS https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=663228

[email protected]
Old 06-13-2012, 01:50 PM

More pics:

Yup, it came with its own hardshell case. The top is solid redwood with some sort of X bracing. The body is bound with tortoiseshell trim. The tuners are Grovers. The body is finished in high gloss and the neck is matte. The headstock face plate also has custom inlay.
Old 06-13-2012, 05:12 PM

I love the headstock! McJam 5.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:17 AM
AGF Sponsor

Thanks, Dru. Another McJammer made the comment that Neil definitely deserved to be the one to become the owner of the McUke. I feel the door prizes are a highlight of the McJams.

[email protected]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments