The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-02-2014, 08:11 AM

Default Guild F-130 ordered...

So, after some research I went to the shop today, gave them my Telecaster and ordered the Guild.
While I was there I played the electro/cutaway version which pretty much sealed it for me.
I also got to play a Faith mini-jumbo and I have to say I was mightily impressed, although it was not the guitar for me. The fit, finish and playability was right up there with the sort of immaculate crispness you'd expect in a Taylor costing 4x as much. I think I may well have gone for a Faith had they had what I wanted (mahogany/spruce/gloss/all-solid) in a concert size. The prices were certainly right for me.

Interestingly the shop manager said that he was finding it increasingly difficult to justify to inquisitive customers why otherwise near-identical guitars in all respects should have such wildly different pricing. Telling them 'you're paying for better quality' just isn't a convincing argument any longer in many cases.
Anyway my new Guild will be with me sometime next week. Looking forward to that
Old 01-02-2014, 10:24 AM

Congrat's Andrew! I just bought one off Ebay and it is supposed to arrive on Tuesday. I got a used Sunburst with Padauk back and sides, electronics and a cutaway. I am hoping to not be disappointed because I have some great guitars right now. I played a F130 at Kennelly Keys in WA and it was great! Let us know what you think after a few days.
Eastman AC412
Alvarez AP70
Yamaha LS16R A.R.E.

Gone:
Martin 000MMV
Martin MMV x2
Yamaha FG700S
Guild GAD30 Padauk
Want a bunch more...
Old 01-02-2014, 11:01 AM

I've liked all of the F130's that I've played. I'm sure you'll get a lot of enjoyment out of that one.

'13 Guild D55
'13 Guild Custom Shop F20
'08 Guild JF-48
'18 Guild Jumbo Jr.
'13 Recording King "Dirty Thirties" Single-O
'13 Epiphone DR-212
Sigma DMISTC

PRS Custom 24 Artist
Fender American Strat
Fender Modern Player P90 Telecaster
Epiphone LP Special P90
Epiphone LP Standard

Various others...
Old 01-02-2014, 02:13 PM

Congratulations Andrew, they're terrific guitars (you've seen mine online!)

I can understand exactly why the shop manager said what he did about the price/quality range. GADs and Faiths, amongst many others, really break the curve there: meaning it's a great time to be playing guitars.

Incidentally, this thread and the Fender thread running at the moment, reminded me of the story of my F-130. There was a slight finish issue with the one in-store (which I took home, not having noticed it at the time - d'oh!), but Fender replaced it, shipping a new one from Holland within 2 days. Accidents and mistakes do happen - what we should judge companies by is how they respond to them - and Fender/Guild and Holiday Music were all brilliant here.

Enjoy.
Old 01-03-2014, 04:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRhythm View Post
Congratulations Andrew, they're terrific guitars (you've seen mine online!)

I can understand exactly why the shop manager said what he did about the price/quality range. GADs and Faiths, amongst many others, really break the curve there: meaning it's a great time to be playing guitars.

Incidentally, this thread and the Fender thread running at the moment, reminded me of the story of my F-130. There was a slight finish issue with the one in-store (which I took home, not having noticed it at the time - d'oh!), but Fender replaced it, shipping a new one from Holland within 2 days. Accidents and mistakes do happen - what we should judge companies by is how they respond to them - and Fender/Guild and Holiday Music were all brilliant here.

Enjoy.
Thanks Doc. Incidentally the shop in question is Manson's here in Exeter. If you're ever around here drop in and have a look around. They have good stocks of acoustics and the best bit is the soundproof booths for a bit of privacy and quiet in-depth checking out of whatever you're considering.
Oh, and their tech staff are brilliant; Tim Stark who has done my setups for years also techs for Steve Howe when he's touring-and we all know how precious Howe is about who he lets anywhere near his instruments!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion