The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-29-2017, 09:42 AM

Default My GAS Satisfied

In my re-discovery of the guitar after a 20 year absence, I bought two low-end instruments, a classical and a steel acoustic. 2 months ago, I started looking for replacement upgrades. A week ago I replaced the classical with a new La Patrie Concert from SF's Haight Ashbury Music Center. Neat place -- check it out if you are ever in San Fran.

Two days ago, I made the fatal error of going to a somewhat legendary SF used equipment dealer, Panhandle Guitars. It's a small hole-in-the-wall shop and the owner deals mostly in electrics and used gear, but also has a few acoustics hanging around. I had been all primed to buy a Seagull S6 for the wider neck, but Robert put this sweet Lakewood M-1 Grand Concert in my hands. Made me a deal (more than a new S6) and swiped my plastic -- 44mm (1.73") nut width not withstanding.

Did some after-the-fact research. Lakewood is a German firm started in 1985. The particular guitar I purchased was made in 2003. Spruce top, Mahogany sides, back and neck, satin finish. Ebony fretboard, rosewood headstock veneer with MOP "Lakewood". Simple "noble" wood (Lakewood's term) rosette and back seam with artificial tortoise shell binding. Ebony bridge with bone saddle and nut and ebony bridge pins. Robert had done a good set-up; the action is perfect for me. I'm not wild about the Martin strings he uses, but I'll fix that when the time comes. Don't have any idea what it sold for in 2003, but the roughly equivalent 2017 model M14 sells in the Euro 1800+ range (about $2000)

My acquisition appetite is pretty satisfied. I have been craving a 12 string for about 50 years now, but the thought of changing that set of strings always stops me ;-)
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 09-29-2017, 11:35 AM
Charter Member

Fond memories of my summer (1974) on Belvedere street and my Yamaki Folk guitar in addition to a piano in the basement.

Sounds like you are pleased, let your music sing!
Old 09-29-2017, 11:45 AM

GAS is never satisfied, only temporarily muted.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

GAS is incurable, but I had two Lakewoods in the late '90s. The first one was a 12 string and a wonderful one it was. I got a six to go with the 12 !
Old 09-29-2017, 01:22 PM

Well, Devil, I'm 70 and strictly a livingroom player. That plus living in a small San Francisco house, I just don't have room for any more! But, there might be a ukulele in my not too distant future -- just for fun, of course.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB
Old 09-29-2017, 01:25 PM

As an addendum, I live a couple of blocks from a middle school and donated the two inexpensive instruments to their music department. The school has a good rep for its music. The teacher was really excited to get the acoustic-electric; he said the kids would drool for it. So, the old axes live on in new young hands.
Blueridge BR-142
Recording King R0-T16
Alvarez AP66SHB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion