The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 02-06-2024, 09:50 AM

Default Very Impressed with Emerald X30

I just wanted to say that I'm super impressed with the X30. I had the fortune of visiting Todd S (emerald ambassador) last weekend and got to play an X30, X20, and X10. While they are all excellent guitars, I was really smitten with the X30. I found them all to be very loud and resonant and also brought along my Rainsong Concert OM (note that I only play fingerstyle). The X30 really stood out as far as resonance and volume. Insane sustain too.

I've got an email out to Emerald for additional custom options that I'd want and hope to hear back soon and place that order!
Old 02-06-2024, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emile640 View Post
I just wanted to say that I'm super impressed with the X30. I had the fortune of visiting Todd S (emerald ambassador) last weekend and got to play an X30, X20, and X10. While they are all excellent guitars, I was really smitten with the X30. I found them all to be very loud and resonant and also brought along my Rainsong Concert OM (note that I only play fingerstyle). The X30 really stood out as far as resonance and volume. Insane sustain too.

I've got an email out to Emerald for additional custom options that I'd want and hope to hear back soon and place that order!
Thanks for the writeup! If I didn't have major purchases lined up, I would have ordered an Emerald this year.

What did you think about the size of the X30? Do you use any type of guitar support or do you play with the waist on your leg?

Also curious about your thoughts on how the X20 compared to the Rainsong OM.
Old 02-06-2024, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFidele View Post
Thanks for the writeup! If I didn't have major purchases lined up, I would have ordered an Emerald this year.

What did you think about the size of the X30? Do you use any type of guitar support or do you play with the waist on your leg?

Actually the size of it is one of the things that drew me to it. It sits great on my right leg with no supports needed. I am 6' tall if that matters though and my right shoulder didn't raise up at all. For the X20 and smaller, I'd need to secure it with a strap for a comfortable playing position for myself.

As far as comparison from the X20 to the Rainsong OM, definitely some similarities in volume & response. I'd say that the X20 sounded a little brighter than my Rainsong, but I do have Monels on the Rainsong.
Old 02-06-2024, 05:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Actually the size of it is one of the things that drew me to it. It sits great on my right leg with no supports needed. I am 6' tall if that matters though and my right shoulder didn't raise up at all. For the X20 and smaller, I'd need to secure it with a strap for a comfortable playing position for myself.

As far as comparison from the X20 to the Rainsong OM, definitely some similarities in volume & response. I'd say that the X20 sounded a little brighter than my Rainsong, but I do have Monels on the Rainsong.
Thank you. Your response was very helpful and definitely makes me want to try both
Old 02-06-2024, 05:47 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnTheFidele View Post

I had a RainSong Shorty (which is an OM) and the X20 at the same time for a while (prior to selling the Shorty) - both guitars have nice tone, but the X20 is warmer, while the RS OM is what I describe as "piano-like." My preference for tone and comfort is the X20. Both are fine guitars.
Old 02-06-2024, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Emeralds are surprising guitars. When I purchased my Kestrel during the 25% off stock sale, I figured it would be my "beater" guitar since it should withstand humidity situations unfavorable to a high end wood instrument.

Though the Kestrel does that, it also became my favorite guitar!

Having never played an X30 (hint to any owners in the Twin Cities area...), if it is as comfortable as my X20 instruments, I would probably entertain the idea of watching for another Emerald sale.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 02-06-2024, 10:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I had a RainSong Shorty (which is an OM) and the X20 at the same time for a while (prior to selling the Shorty) - both guitars have nice tone, but the X20 is warmer, while the RS OM is what I describe as "piano-like." My preference for tone and comfort is the X20. Both are fine guitars.
Thanks for the input. I found my OM surprisingly warm, so you're making me more curious about the X20. I have to admit that, in recordings, I've tended to prefer Rainsongs and McPhersons, but I know that recordings are different from hearing in-person. I find I'm drawn most to the many innovations of the X20 that I'd really love to feel/hear in the flesh.

I'm curious if my understanding of "piano-like" aligns with yours or anyone else's here. I found that I really liked the "note separation" that's so distinct about Rainsongs. The separation is more piano-like than any other guitars I've heard/played. It's like the notes ring separately, though they meld together very well. It's the reason I wanted to get a Rainsong in the first place and I very much enjoy it.
Old 02-07-2024, 12:25 PM

Well, I placed the order with the help of Kev for my X30 today. It will be a redwood burl top, standard red back/sides, 1 13/16th" nut, and will have the vines & celtic knot inlay. I'm also going to be having a tapered curve from the 18th fret of the 6th going up to the 22nd to provide a little more clearance for my fingerpicking to have extra tonal variety options. I'm sending them an Anthem pickup to install as well.
Old 02-07-2024, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well, I placed the order with the help of Kev for my X30 today. It will be a redwood burl top, standard red back/sides, 1 13/16th" nut, and will have the vines & celtic knot inlay. I'm also going to be having a tapered curve from the 18th fret of the 6th going up to the 22nd to provide a little more clearance for my fingerpicking to have extra tonal variety options. I'm sending them an Anthem pickup to install as well.
Awesome! Hope it turns out well!
Old 02-08-2024, 10:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
That's cool. I didn't realize they'd do that level of customization to the neck.
Old 02-09-2024, 01:14 PM

Here is a screenshot of my build:

https://flic.kr/p/2pxkAcq
Old 02-09-2024, 06:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I’ve been having great difficulty trying to figure out what you meant by the ‘tapered curve’, but when you just posted the picture of your guitar, I realized immediately what you meant. You’re going for shaping similar to that already in use on the X20, right?

I’m surprised that Emerald hasn’t updated the X30 to include this as standard already. Maybe this will be their excuse to do just that
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-10-2024, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I’ve been having great difficulty trying to figure out what you meant by the ‘tapered curve’, but when you just posted the picture of your guitar, I realized immediately what you meant. You’re going for shaping similar to that already in use on the X20, right?

I’m surprised that Emerald hasn’t updated the X30 to include this as standard already. Maybe this will be their excuse to do just that
That's correct. They don't include it on the 30 as it is 22 fret instead of 24, but they were able to accommodate this request for me on the 30.
Old 02-10-2024, 10:42 AM

Quote:
That's correct. They don't include it on the 30 as it is 22 fret instead of 24, but they were able to accommodate this request for me on the 30.
I'm afraid I still don't get it. I thought you meant compound radius but since that is available both for the X20 and the X30 this "tapered curve" must be something else.
Rainsong Smokey SMH
Outdoor Guitalele
Taylor 522e 12-fret ✝
Gitane DG-560 nylon ✝
Alhambra 3C CW
Eastman AR910CE
Recording King RM-991 tricone resonator
Recording King RK-G25 6-string banjo
Thomann Irish Bouzouki M1089
Old 02-10-2024, 10:45 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainmaster View Post
I'm afraid I still don't get it. I thought you meant compound radius but since that is available both for the X20 and the X30 this "tapered curve" must be something else.
It’s the ‘grand piano’-like curve at the end of the fretboard, like this:

IMG_1707583553.700804.jpg
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

Last edited by David Eastwood; 02-10-2024 at 10:53 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber