The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-28-2023, 11:27 AM

Default Does using backing tracks generate more gigs?

Does using backing tracks generate more gigs?

I am personally not comfortable using backing tracks. Just curious about the responses.

Gibson Southern Jumbo (acoustic)
Gibson Songwriter (acoustic)
Gibson Les Paul 60s Standard
Fender Telecaster
Fender Jazz Bass
Hohner Special 20 harmonicas
Yamaha Arius YDP-181 Piano/Keyboard
Old 08-28-2023, 06:25 PM

I don’t gig, so can’t speak to that aspect, but my wife and I frequent venues (restaurants, breweries, bars) who offer live music. We don’t linger if someone is playing over backing tracks.
Old 08-28-2023, 07:29 PM

I'm sort of on the periphery of the, uh, "in crowd" of folk and Americana practitioners in SoCal. It's a little too clubby, but it is what it is, and you kinda have to go with it if you want to get yourself on a multi-artist bill at one of the local house concerts or backyard shows or the upcoming "Bonnie-Raitt-a-Thon." They're okay if you do covers, you can even dabble in electric instruments, but if you have backing tracks they'll have nothing to do with you.

Couch Standards
Old 08-28-2023, 10:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggibson189 View Post
Does using backing tracks generate more gigs?

I am personally not comfortable using backing tracks. Just curious about the responses.
Hi gg
If I'm in the audience and someone uses tracks for more than one song, I'm going to the coffee bar of the men's room. Nothing much more boring.

I go to open mics to hear people play, not tracks.

On the other hand, I love players who are skilled and great with a looper (who also sing).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-29-2023, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

George, on your sound cloud clips it sounds like you have a great baritone/bass voice. I bet that you could put together a great set of country/John Prine style songs of just you and acoustic guitar. Hell, I wouldn't even plug in but go purely acoustic (guitar just mic'd) keeping the sound completely pure. If you can get away without a pa at all - even better!

I love that type of intimate gig. You get much closer to the audience. Backing tracks can be a real turn off for me as an audience member.

I played/sang a solo spot at a concert in a big marquee on Sunday - no pa - and about 70 folks seated, some standing at the back, and kids and dogs sitting on the floor around the sides. I just walked forward into the audience, had a craic with them and sang and played. For me, that's the job the acoustic guitar is built to do. I sort of want as little between me and the audience as possible. Even a mic' stand can be a barrier. And as for a backing track... Well that's like building a wall.

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Last edited by Robin, Wales; 08-29-2023 at 12:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:32 AM

I agree with Larry. If the performer interacts with the backing in some way - or creates their own with a looper - that's fine. If they just use it literally as backing to play on top of - as a crutch - that's boring.

The problem is that it shows a real lack of imagination, and of musicianship. If you are a solo performer, and you want to play that song, then you need to work out a solo arrangement of it. People would much rather hear a solo performance with bits of the original missing, than someone trying to reproduce as much of the original recording as possible with a BT.

BTs show a fundamental misunderstanding of what "live performance" is for. It's not about reproducing a recording. That's what DJs are for. We can all do that any time we like by getting youtube on our phones! Live performance is about live performance - it's a special and unique event in real time. Before recorded music existed (only just over 100 years ago), ALL music was live!

IOW, before you think about using a BT (which can be OK sometimes!), think about that: the cultural tradition (going back to prehistory!) you are plugging into when you play in front of an audience. Of course, modern technology is OK to assist you in that, up to a point, but the performance is the thing.

I.e., one potential excuse for a BT is if it's your own song. You have written a song with a great bass line, or harmony or whatever, that is simply impossible to play on just one guitar. So you create your own BT to deliver it live. It's still not ideal (work out a simplified solo arrangement!), but it's an excuse you don't have when you use a BT to reproduce a cover.
Old 08-29-2023, 02:41 AM
Charter Member

There is one guy who frequents my club, who actually makes something of an income from old peoples' homes, and hospices etc.
I believe that he uses backing tracks.

I find the idea akin to karaoke.
Old 08-29-2023, 03:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post

I find the idea akin to karaoke.
Or hara-kiri.....

I've played and studied traditional noter/drone mountain dulcimer for many years. And I used to play dobro in a bluegrass band.

Old 08-29-2023, 04:39 AM

Backing tracks can work for instruments like violin or flute. Those instruments cannot accompany themselves. The point about guitar is that it can accompany itself, or a voice. Backing tracks might suggest to some people that you can't play very well.
Old 08-29-2023, 05:44 AM
Charter Member

I just took a weekend road trip with wife and daughter to see a favorite rock band.

The opening act was a 3 person band. There was a very prominent bass line playing and I looked around and saw there was no bass player. Then in another song, the guitar player switched to the bass and there was no guitar player but there was prominent guitar in the song. Then I noticed something was "off" with the drummer - their movements didn't match the sound. During a pause I noticed there was a prominent drum beat playing.

So this "band" did have three musicians on stage but they were playing along with backing tracks. I didn't come to watch karaoke. I don't care if they were good at the parts they did play - I dislike that. The audience didn't notice and seemed to think these folks were great.

I am in an active gigging band. There is another more established band in town that plays the same genre of music so I guess we are competitors for gigs. Everyone who sees us says we are a better band that sounds better. The other band is way more popular than us - they have 20 times the following and they sell out every show. They wear silly costumes and play to backing tracks. Make it make sense.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-29-2023, 07:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
Backing tracks can work for instruments like violin or flute. Those instruments cannot accompany themselves. The point about guitar is that it can accompany itself, or a voice. Backing tracks might suggest to some people that you can't play very well.
Hi stanron
To me it speaks of the insecurity or the inability of a solo performer lacking the playing skills to sing/play without a band.

It does require some arranging and playing skills to be an interesting solo performer.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-29-2023, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post

It does require some arranging and playing skills to be an interesting solo performer.

I agree. J S Bach wrote some amazing music for solo instruments. The accompaniment was written into the solo pieces. I see him as the exception rather than the rule.
Old 08-29-2023, 07:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi gg
If I'm in the audience and someone uses tracks for more than one song, I'm going to the coffee bar of the men's room. Nothing much more boring.

I go to open mics to hear people play, not tracks.

On the other hand, I love players who are skilled and great with a looper (who also sing).

I agree. I'm not big on performers playing with backing tracks, but some of the guys using loopers are amazing and quite original.
Old 08-29-2023, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
I am in an active gigging band. There is another more established band in town that plays the same genre of music so I guess we are competitors for gigs. Everyone who sees us says we are a better band that sounds better. The other band is way more popular than us - they have 20 times the following and they sell out every show. They wear silly costumes and play to backing tracks. Make it make sense.
For a lot of folks, the difference in sound isn't easily discernible...they're looking for a show...
Old 08-29-2023, 01:41 PM
Charter Member

I saw a guy doing this on a recent cruise. I did not envy him, especially when his iPad went goofy mid set and he had to mess with it on stage. Whereas, the piano bar guy just sat down at the keys and went. To me it all depends on your skill level.

After decades of doing this I can come up with interesting arrangements yet I retain the ability to make on the fly changes and/or keep the song going while listening to the patron who insists on talking in my ear mid song. I have no interest in tracks, drum buddies, or the sure to be invented AI hologram of yourself with whom you can sing duets live. Sort of.

If it ever comes to the point where I must employ tracks to gig, I’m out.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write