The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-14-2023, 06:49 AM

Default Your All Time Favorite Recorded Lesson?

Is there a recorded lesson that you keep going back to year after year? Is there a lesson that you've watched countless times and still pick up new information and discover further subtleties?

For me it's the Homespun Lesson: "Thom Bresh: Like Father, Like Son."

Bresh really gets into his father's (Merle Travis) style and chords. I just watched it again today and found that my level of playing had improved enough over the years that I was able to make use of some more of the information that was just waiting to be mined.

What's yours?
Old 08-14-2023, 11:26 AM

For me, it's a book (it has recordings though): https://www.amazon.com/All-One-Guita.../dp/1495088790

I bought it when I was recording guitar improvisations over backing tracks on another guitar forum (RIP). At the time, the book was a bit too advanced for me so I only got thru a few pages (more like got stuck).

Over the past 2 years, as I gained more skills, I'd go back to the book and advance thru a bunch more pages. Finally, a few months back, I was able to "finish" the book (as in nothing in the book was too difficult for me to play).

I still find myself picking up/going back to book once in a while. Always find some new knowledge (or refresh something); or just to jam a little bit with its backing tracks. I think I got way more than my money's worth out of this book.
Old 08-14-2023, 07:41 PM
Charter Member

For me, it is two Robert Conti book/DVD, "Chord Melody Assembly Line" and "The Formula". I don't really need to go back to "Assembly Line" so much, but "The Formula" always has something new for me every time I go back to it.

https://www.robertconti.com/product/...assembly-line/

https://www.robertconti.com/product/the-formula/

There are plenty of other materials I continue to explore, but I always seem to come back to these when I feel the need to get grounded again.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-14-2023, 07:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
Is there a recorded lesson that you keep going back to year after year? Is there a lesson that you've watched countless times and still pick up new information and discover further subtleties?

For me it's the Homespun Lesson: "Thom Bresh: Like Father, Like Son."

Bresh really gets into his father's (Merle Travis) style and chords. I just watched it again today and found that my level of playing had improved enough over the years that I was able to make use of some more of the information that was just waiting to be mined.

What's yours?
Homespun (Happy Traum's site) and Guitar Workshop (Stefan Grossman's site) both have some real gems.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 08-15-2023, 05:25 AM

Old 08-15-2023, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hicks View Post
Thank you for suggesting this Dave. I've just downloaded it and am enjoying this lesson right now (these are the days of miracles and wonders!). It's always interesting to hear thoughts and instruction from folks who actually took lessons from the RGD.
Old 08-16-2023, 03:55 AM
Eric Skye

I have a bootleg mp3 of Irish Fiddler Martin Hayes workshop that I edited down to about an hour. I listen to this for inspiration probably three times a year. He talks beautifully and poignantly about things like playing music from the inside out, and phrasing.. This is stuff I use (and acknowledge where it came from) in my own teaching and guitar camps workshops..

I also comeback to books I had as a kid, like the Christopher Parkening method books, the Joe Pass book....
Old 08-16-2023, 07:16 AM
Charter Member

Steve Kaufman "Figuring Out The Fingerboard"

D
Old 08-16-2023, 12:31 PM

Its not acoustic, but my all time favorite is Justin's lesson on the intro to the Peter Green/Fleetwood Mac version of "Need your love so bad."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOKH6xZtw0o

What I love about it is it shows you how to play that intro very easily. But you become aware, when you try to make it sound right, that being able to play the notes is only the beginning. Almost anyone who has been playing a little while can sit down with that video and learn the notes quickly. But they won't sound like Peter Green.

Easy. And really hard.
Old 08-16-2023, 02:19 PM

Fiddle Hed. The whole channel. The clearest, most relaxed demonstrations and explanations of what to do, and just as importantly for a novice, why you do what you do and why you fail.
Old 08-17-2023, 11:18 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by srick View Post
…Is there a recorded lesson that you keep going back to year after year? Is there a lesson that you've watched countless times and still pick up new information and discover further subtleties?
…What's yours?
Hi srick
Homespun…
- The Guitar of David Wilcox: Secrets of Open Tunings & Song Accompaniment

I've owned it on VHS, DVD, and digital.

He delivers far more than is promised by the title and description.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-20-2023, 03:25 PM
Charter Member

I don’t do lesson books/courses. I usually scour YouTube looking for something that I like then work my way through it. Here’s one I recently “completed”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDO41hLYIWM

Last edited by srick; 08-20-2023 at 03:40 PM.
Old 08-21-2023, 12:53 AM

Just the other day I was thinking about how much I miss James James/Privattricker, and was wondering how I could manufacture a post just to share my appreciation for him and his video lessons. I love his videos because (as many affirmed in another post about practice plateaus,) one great way to improve is to learn the specific tricks and techniques of new songs. I always liked that his videos got right to the playing and he liked to point out connections between songs that define a player’s style and sound.
His low key “this is how I hear it” method really felt like hanging out with a talented friend and learning a new song together. He just had a great vibe and although I know it was sometimes a struggle for him I always appreciated how important it was to him to keep the space positive and focused on the joy in playing. There were never gear promotions or requests to “like”, and while I know those things help support some of my favorite youtube players, it kept the videos really focused and sincere.
As much as I miss seeing new videos from him, he has thousands to choose from and I am not sure what else I could possibly hope for. I often go to him to rewatch an old lesson or to try something new.
Larrivee Parlor Koa Special Edition
https://soundclick.com/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel
Old 08-21-2023, 12:59 AM

Here’s an easy one I love. His Rolling Stones, Who, and Beatles acoustic lessons are great.
Larrivee Parlor Koa Special Edition
https://soundclick.com/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel

Last edited by srick; 08-21-2023 at 04:36 AM. Reason: Fixed your YT link. Remember to strip off the YouTu.be portion- just leave the code
Old 08-22-2023, 10:38 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by K20C View Post
I don’t do lesson books/courses. I usually scour YouTube looking for something that I like then work my way through it. Here’s one I recently “completed”

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDO41hLYIWM
Wow, that was really nice! I can see why you were attracted to that! What a nice and relatively accessible arrangement!

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write