The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-01-2014, 01:38 PM

Default Help choosing strings, please!

I'm three years back into playing guitar (after a 30 year hiatus) and most of my recent time has been spent on steel string acoustic. However, I just had my 1967 Hofner classical into the shop for a new bone saddle and want to find some strings to match my expectation of tone and feel.

Since I haven't really bought classical/nylon strings in decades, not sure where to start. The only brands I recall from back then which I see online today, are Savarez (fairly good memories) and Martin classical (meh!). I THINK D'Addario had just replaced D'Merle back when I put the Hofner in mothballs (but don't recall if that was in the steel string world or the classical realm). Other than those dim recollections, I'm totally at sea here.

I do like firm strings generally. I especially like clarity in my G string, and whatever I have on now is a solid nylon, not terrible but with a bit of a dullish tone. Many y-e-a-r-s ago I recall getting sets of strings with a wrapped G (nylon wrapped on a nylon core) but can't recall the name of the brand; obviously, don't know if such animals are still available...or whether they're considered a gimmick.

Could I please get some recommendations? I see that nowadays there are normal, hard and extra-hard tensions available in various brands (I hopped onto Strings and Beyond since they're having a sale today). Should I start in the middle...with "hard"...to see if that gives me the firmness (I think) I want? Or should I start "normal" and work up? Also, pretty sure my Hofner is laminate b/s...not sure about the top...but the neck has no apparent adjustment available, so I'm not sure if an "extra-hard" set of strings would cause trauma in the old instrument. Any advice at this point would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Dirk
Old 04-01-2014, 01:47 PM

D'addario is a good set to start ...no much difference from normal and hard set .....buy and a Savarez Corum set and come back to talk some more after you play these
Old 04-01-2014, 03:17 PM

I'd start normal tension myself, unless you have a good idea of what the relief is like and any neck bow on an older guitar like that- a real possibility it may be on the high side,
and harder tenson would only make any high action harder to play, and cause more of it sooner-

d'aadario Pro Arte are not terribly expensive, EXP will last longer at more cost there- Savarez are nice too- don't have much experience beyond these myself
Old 04-01-2014, 03:52 PM

I like D'addario Pro-Arte Composites...EJ45C. The optional composite G string
is less fluffy than most regular nylon G's I've played.
Old 04-01-2014, 04:59 PM

good question... i'm primarily a steel string player also. i tried many different strings on my 68 Guild Mark 1V that sounded dull. The only strings i like (love) are John Pearse folk strings made by Thomastik. They cost just shy of $20/ set but are well worth it. i recommend Juststrings.com.

let me know how you like them

Rob
Old 04-01-2014, 07:29 PM

Thanks, everyone. I'm making my list...and already put in an initial order (small, since I'm going slow and don't really run throughout strings THAT often). Good input and I'll check back in when I make the first change.

Oh...and other opinions are still welcome.

Cheers,

Dirk
Old 04-02-2014, 03:42 AM

I use La Bella 850 strings. These come in a choice of medium to hard tension sets: all sets have bronze-wound basses, trebles come in either black or gold. There is also a set with a wound G string.

Excellent sounding strings, long-lasting and reasonably priced.

BTW, La Bella also do a 900 series which are similar composition to the 850 but with basses that are ground and polished to a smooth surface - these are great if you want to eliminate string squeak.
Old 04-02-2014, 06:17 AM

I think of D'Addarios as everyman strings. I use both the Pro Artes and the Pro Arte Composites. The composites stabilize pretty quickly, last a long time and sound decent. The straight Pro Artes aren't as snappy but work as well. I tried the composite 3rd but did not love it. I liked the sustain and the clarity but did not like the attack. If you play softly, it probably is a great option. I use hard tension on these. Pro Artes will get the job done.

For acoustic only, and lately on my gig AE nylon, I use Savarez HT Classics normal tension. The trebles are a little smaller dia which may or may not appeal. The normal tensions feel about the same as D'Addario hard tension. I like em. Great clarity, minimal chatter on hard attack and the basses really ring out. I play with finger tips and not nails so that could make a huge difference. They might be bright with nails. I like the Cristal Corums but like the HT Classics better.

One thing to consider, the Savarez are about twice the cost of the D'Addarios. Something I am thinking about since I started using em on the gig guitar and I like the way they are working. In my experience the Savarez basses don't hold up as well as the D'Addarios.

Even though I haven't done it enough, it is a good idea to test a bunch of strings. Seems to me that nylon string options make a more noticeable difference that steel. The right set of nylons will definitely raise your guitar a level or two.

Oh and check stringsbymail. No affiliation, just like their prices and huge selection on nylon strings and service has been solid.

hunter
Old 04-02-2014, 08:26 AM

I'm working on a review of a few different string sets choosen for my "crossover", but should be applicable to what you're looking for.

http://www.bluestemstrings.com/pageGuitarCrossover.html

Ditto on the Stringsbymail suggestion; I found them to have great selection, low price (when you factor in shipping) and quick, friendly service.
Old 04-03-2014, 12:03 AM

Cool Help choosing classical strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
I do like firm strings generally. I especially like clarity in my G string, and whatever I have on now is a solid nylon, not terrible but with a bit of a dullish tone. Many y-e-a-r-s ago I recall getting sets of strings with a wrapped G (nylon wrapped on a nylon core) but can't recall the name of the brand; obviously, don't know if such animals are still available...or whether they're considered a gimmick. Thanks. Dirk
If you want to try a reasonably priced set of Nylon Classical strings with a wound G, look for a set of La Bella 900W Golden Elites. $9.00/set. I've been switching several of my high-end classicals to those. They won't squeak and they sound fabulous!!! I've tried many other brands of classical strings and La Bellas have the best tone.

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”
Old 04-03-2014, 06:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottishrogue View Post
If you want to try a reasonably priced set of Nylon Classical strings with a wound G, look for a set of La Bella 900W Golden Elites. $9.00/set. I've been switching several of my high-end classicals to those. They won't squeak and they sound fabulous!!! I've tried many other brands of classical strings and La Bellas have the best tone.

Glen
Stringsbymail.com has "LaBella Elite 900W Golden Superiors" at $7 / set. I take it these are the same?
Old 04-03-2014, 09:01 AM

Great suggestions, folks. I ordered a set of D'Addarios (hard) the other day and a set of Savarez (mixed, with composite trebles) to start myself out. Sounds like the La Bellas need to be in the next wave.

Really appreciate the input.

Dirk
Old 04-04-2014, 02:57 PM

Cool Help choosing classical strings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Stringsbymail.com has "LaBella Elite 900W Golden Superiors" at $7 / set. I take it these are the same?
Yes, those IMO are far superior to other brands. They were recommended to me by another AGF member. The people that hang out around here a really, really smart!!!

Glen
Gibson LP Deluxe/ES-347 TD/Chet Atkins CE
Fender MIA Deluxe Strat
Art & Lutherie 12-string
Bellucci Concert
Sigma CR-7
Recording King ROS-06 FE3/RPH-05
D'Angelico "New Yorker"
New Masters "Esperance SP"
Hermosa AH-20
“I never met a guitar I didn't like.”

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical