The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 11-21-2010, 05:44 AM

Default Martin custom shop

I am thinking of an Martin OM-42 without the bling. Is anyone familiar withe the Martin custom shop and knows what it is to choose for an OM-42? The Idea behind that is i like Guitars really plain and maybe its a bit cheaper.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:10 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Martin's "Custom Shop" models go through the same assembly line as their standard models.

The only real difference between a "Custom Shop" OM 42 without the fancy inlay/purfling/binding and a standard series "OM 21 Special" would be the grade of wood used.

http://martinguitar.com/guitars/choo...M-21%20Special

http://martinguitar.com/guitars/choo...=s&g=S&m=OM-42

Both are Indian Rosewood/sitka.
Both have standard "X Scalloped" 1/4" bracing.
Both have the low profile neck, 25/4" scale length, 1 3/4" nut 2 1/4" string spacing at the 12th fret.

Martin, like all large builders, grades their wood based not on how it sounds, but on how it look, with the "prettier" sets getting higher grades.
Martin uses high grade wood all around. Probably not a lot of differenece between how "pretty" a set of 42 grade wood is compared to a set of "21" grade wood.

As I understand it, there is a surcharge for ordering through the Martin Custom Shop.
A "Custom shop" OM 21 would cost you more than a non-custom ordered OM 21 with identical specs.

When it comes to re-sale, custom ordered Martin's generally do not hold their value as much as non-custom models.

All that being the case, I'd recommend going with an OM 21 special.
Same guitar as a "Custom Shop" OM42 without the bling, A good deal cheaper.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 11-21-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:18 AM

Hi Jeff,

thanx for the answer! What impressed me on the OM-42 was that it was so liquid and modern sounding. I havent played all Martin OMs but i think it is a special sound and the other tend to be more dry and traditional. What i am after is this liquid and modern sound. Good for fingerpicking and at least medium strumming. Do you think the OM-21 sp will fit the bill?
Old 11-21-2010, 06:30 AM

Location: Not where I thought I was going, but probably where I need to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maja View Post
Hi Jeff,

thanx for the answer! What impressed me on the OM-42 was that it was so liquid and modern sounding. I havent played all Martin OMs but i think it is a special sound and the other tend to be more dry and traditional. What i am after is this liquid and modern sound. Good for fingerpicking and at least medium strumming. Do you think the OM-21 sp will fit the bill?
Recent thread in which Martin's "Custom Shop" guitars are discussed, along with wood grading, top construction, etc;

http://69.41.173.82/forums/showthrea...ghlight=Martin

Bottom line in this case....
Same woods.
Same design.
Same builders.
Same construction methods.

Same sound.
Same playability.

"Use what talents you possess; the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best."
Henry Van Dyke

"It is in the world of slow time that truth and art are found as one"
Norman Maclean,

Last edited by Jeff M; 11-21-2010 at 07:03 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop