The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-25-2023, 08:53 AM

Default Open C chords

Is there a chord chart for it in low C, CGCEGC ? I am a fan of Open C tuning but can’t find a chart for this chord variation. Thanks.
Old 08-25-2023, 09:13 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by l.v.marucci View Post
Is there a chord chart for it in low C, CGCEGC ? I am a fan of Open C tuning but can’t find a chart for this chord variation. Thanks.
That’s what I’ve referred to as C’VESTAPOL for many years, and because I first wrote about it in all caps, it will automatically populate that way.

In any event….the reason I named it that is because it’s nothing more than open D tuning, which has been referred to as Vestapol tuning since the 1800’s.

So…..Get a book on open D tuning and follow the instructions, ignoring the chord names.

Simple.

Regards,
Howard Emerson
Old 08-25-2023, 09:39 AM

Other than matching up with one’s voice better, what would be the advantage of open C over open D. Seems like open C could get pretty buzzy even with a full scale guitar. Open D is such a pretty tuning.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 08-25-2023, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Is there a chord chart for it in low C, CGCEGC ? I am a fan of Open C tuning but canÂ’t find a chart for this chord variation. Thanks.

0 5 4 3 5 0

0 9 7 8 9 0

x x 0 3 5 4

x x 0 8 9 7

x x 0 12 12 12

These should be right. Let me know if there are any mistakes.
Old 08-25-2023, 10:22 AM

Default Thanks

Thanks to all.. Open C matches my voice
Old 08-25-2023, 10:23 AM

Default Thanks for your advice

Thanks to all.. Open C matches my voice
Old 08-25-2023, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Check out link for the chord shapes in open C tuning:

https://guitargearfinder.com/guides/open-c-tuning/

or more convenient pdf of chords here

https://guitargearfinder.com/wp-cont...ing-Chords.pdf

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-26-2023, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Sorry if i misinterpreted your question. I thought you were asking for C triads in Open C.

There are numerous Open D chord guides online. The shapes are the same as for Open C.
Old 08-26-2023, 10:56 AM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aK_bAsh7 View Post
Sorry if i misinterpreted your question. I thought you were asking for C triads in Open C.

There are numerous Open D chord guides online. The shapes are the same as for Open C.
Only for the open C tuning he asked about. I also play in open C as described by the link in Derek's post, which is C-G-C-G-C-E, or I-V-I-V-I-III, whereas open D is I-V-I-III-V-I

HE
Old 08-29-2023, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Only for the open C tuning he asked about. I also play in open C as described by the link in Derek's post, which is C-G-C-G-C-E, or I-V-I-V-I-III, whereas open D is I-V-I-III-V-I

HE
Of course. I didn't mean to suggest otherwise!

Nevertheless, the fact remains that this stuff is not difficult to figure out for one's self, unless one is trying to play Jazz chord melody in open tunings. I don't understand why so many guitar players are adverse to learning the small amount of theory that renders chord books unnecessary, but whatever. I was just trying to be helpful and blew it. So it goes...
Old 08-29-2023, 09:54 AM

L.V.,
I have played a lot in Open C, but I am guessing you mean CGCGCE, maybe? That's the more popular Open C tuning, although yours will obviously work, too. If you are doing CGCGCE, then I have three sources I have used:

1) I learned all the Open C I know from the David Wilcox song book, c1994 . He has a number of songs in Open C, and there is a big chord glossary at the start of each song. It's old, so it could be hard to find, and I don't have photo privelages so I can't send them to you. However, if you Google David Wilcox Show the Way, Rusty Old American Dream, Eye of the Hurricane, you'll get images for the first page of the sheet music and they'll have the chord charts that you can use to start creating your own "set".

2) One of the greatest unsung heroes of the internet is JGuitar, a totally free guitar tool that does everything you could ever want. Go into Settings, select Tuning-Open C. Then you can go back to Chord-Chord Search or Chord Calculator, and it will spit out fingerings for any chord you want, or name chord you invent (really useful, because I think the best part of open tunings is fiddling around to find the voicing you want). If it does not have the tuning you want (which would be weird because it has loads) then you can create your own. It is truly an amazing, if inauspicious, site.

3) If you really are just tuning open D down a step ( DADF#AD to CGCEGE) then the others are right - just follow charts for Open D and "subtract" one letter. One thing I do that really helps is just print off a Nashville system graphic (easy enough to Google) and sit it on my music stand so I can transpose on the fly. At this point, I really think of things in terms of Nashville system because it makes playing in open tunings so much easier.

Hope that helps.

Kip
Larrivee Parlor Koa Special Edition
https://soundclick.com/kiphendryandtheonestarhotel
Old 08-29-2023, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Change the tuning to the one you want, then pick a chord...

https://www.looknohands.com/chordhou.../index_rb.html

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write