The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 03-03-2015, 09:20 PM

Default Mid-level acoustic/electric Archtop?

Are they any reasonably priced electric archtops that sound good acoustically and plugged in? Been learning some jazz chord melodies with my instructor, Nothing real fancy…yet…but could really see myself wanting to get one eventually.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:40 PM

Whats you budget?
Old 03-03-2015, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesfreek View Post
Whats you budget?
Good question…it's so early in this search I'm not even sure what "reasonable" would be. Let's say $1,500 for now.
Old 03-03-2015, 09:59 PM

Default Eastman AR503CE

I have an Eastman Archtop electric-acoustic jazz guitar that has a vintage tone with superior midrange and volume. It's in excellent condition and was bought new 6 months ago. I'm asking $1,050.

I live in Montreal, Que., Canada.

You'll love the sound and feel of this guitar. I'm selling it because the steel strings are too hard on my arthritic fingers. I'm now playing a Godin classical one and find it easier for me.

Last edited by Krakoo; 03-03-2015 at 10:06 PM.
Old 03-03-2015, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
Good question…it's so early in this search I'm not even sure what "reasonable" would be. Let's say $1,500 for now.
Lots to choose from in that range. I would suggest something with a floating pickup so you'd keep the acoustic properties of the guitar.
Old 03-04-2015, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Lots to choose from in that range. I would suggest something with a floating pickup so you'd keep the acoustic properties of the guitar.
Thanks for the tip. What other types od pickups are there, and how do they differ?
Old 03-05-2015, 12:56 AM

Some hollow body guitars have floating pickups that are attached either to the pickguard or the fingerboard where it meets the body.

This one looks like it's attached to the pickguard.

Here's another angle of a floating pickup. You can see it's not mounted to the top.

Some archtops have pickups that are mounted right to the top. Usually humbuckers or P90's.

Like this:

Old 03-05-2015, 02:02 AM

There are the K&K Definity, Schertler Dyn G, Richard Barbera Soloist pickups.
Old 03-05-2015, 07:08 AM

I think that an Eastman archtop would be a good choice; one with a floating PU is a decent acoustic guitar, and also has a very good amplified sound. Plus, they're readily available and you can't beat the price.
Old 03-08-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercosound View Post
I think that an Eastman archtop would be a good choice; one with a floating PU is a decent acoustic guitar, and also has a very good amplified sound. Plus, they're readily available and you can't beat the price.
Besides the wood used, mahogany/maple, lam/solid, it looks like a big difference between different Eastmans is type of pickup. So, I get the difference between floating and mounted in terms of how it's attached…but what's the difference in terms of plugged-in tone? And, if you did play one with mounted pickup, unplugged, would it sound any good at all….or would it be like playing a Strat unplugged?
Old 03-08-2015, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBJones View Post
Besides the wood used, mahogany/maple, lam/solid, it looks like a big difference between different Eastmans is type of pickup. So, I get the difference between floating and mounted in terms of how it's attached…but what's the difference in terms of plugged-in tone? And, if you did play one with mounted pickup, unplugged, would it sound any good at all….or would it be like playing a Strat unplugged?
A lam guitar with top mounted pickups will not be a good acoustic guitar. You're on the right track when you compare it to a Strat.

A solid / carved guitar with a floating pickup is truly an acoustic guitar. It will hang with flattops in terms of volume, richness, etc.

Between those two extremes is a continuous spectrum of sounds. You will hear much debate on the details, but just to start the argument, I'll show the trend as this:

Carved top - floating PU - most acoustic
Carved top, single mounted PU
Lam top, no PU
Lam top, single mounted PU
Lam top, two mounted PUs - least acosutic

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 03-09-2015, 04:24 AM

Unless the OP wants a more electric tone when plugged in, another option is to find a solid carved top acoustic archtop without a pickup and get one of these...
http://www.kksound.com/products/definity.php
Old 08-10-2015, 06:30 PM

Default Buscarino archtop with Barbera pickup in bridge

The amazing Rory Hoffman.
https://youtu.be/qcVcGr9nPKg

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops