The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-07-2016, 05:49 AM

Default NGD - Again and again... RS H-DR1100N2

I only keep two or three guitars usually getting rid of the predecessor on eBay pretty quickly. When I retired I started gigging and did not want to take a Martin D45V into bars and restaurants. At the same time I experimented with travel guitars since I did not enjoy the tone of the LX I carried all over the world. I'll leave out all the pickups that came and went.

If I can remember correctly...

Main Guitars:
D-45V -> CA Legacy -> CA OX -> CA GX -> RS H-DR1100N2 -> RS S-OM1000N2 -> RS CO-DR1100N2 -> Fender Telecaster Acoustasonic -> Godin A6 Ultra -> Taylor T5z

Travel Guitars:
CA Cargo -> GS Mini -> Emerald X7 center sound hole -> Emerald X7 offset sound hole -> Peavey Cargo -> Traveler Escape MKII -> Taylor Baby -> GS MiniM

So my new Travel Guitar is............RS H-DR1100N2

It was in my memory the best sounding of all the acoustic instruments (well maybe not quite a D-45V). With the much despised a-la-carte air travel I can pay for early boarding and with all the success I've had carrying around the GS mini with no real problems, I think a graphite Dreadnought in a minimum gig bag should also fit. The GS mini was also my leave in the car when going to a party guitar and it missed out on a few hot day events last summer which I think the RS will handle with ease.

I actually like the airlines that take a-la-carte to the max and you pay for carry-ons and checked bags. The overheads never fill up, the plane boards and exits more quickly, and the luggage is delivered much more quickly. Nothing stops people from carrying all sorts of junk with them better than a cash fee!

I ordered the RS from MF because I returned a few items lately that I just decided I didn't want after trying them out (a restock Yamaha SLG200S, blow out priced discontinued Fender Deluxe Player Strat) and felt like I needed to even up a little (sorry Ted you are the best). Between the 15% sale and the 8% reward they are reasonably competitive these days. I should have it Monday. I could post any old picture since they all look the same. Maybe I can think of something off the wall that justifies a pic.
IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 10-08-2016 at 04:26 AM.
Old 10-10-2016, 03:54 PM

It came today along with a bottom of the line Gator gig bag that I also ordered. In that slight bag it is not much larger than the GS mini bag. The guitar is bright, LOUD, precisely set up (3/32" and 2/32" at the 12th fret, low and high E respectively), with perfect intonation. A Rainsong dreadnought has no braces or cutaway to support the fretboard extension and the top dives down slightly in front of the bridge which makes the fretboard extension roll away a little more than ideal, but not really anything beyond a visual issue. The neck angle is perfect. I am happy. I think uncoated PB strings will mellow the tone a little.

It also came with a fairly high end TKL wood case. I was expecting plastic. The case is heavy but less bulky. I don't really plan to use the case and it is already stored on a shelf in the basement.

I installed a clear plastic low tack adhesive pickguard I bought off of Ebay from Plektronica. I forced the camera to flash to that you can see it. It is normally pretty invisible.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields
Old 10-10-2016, 05:42 PM

My HDR 1000 is by far my favorite guitar.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 10-10-2016, 07:30 PM
Charter Member

They're great guitars...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber