The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-10-2016, 10:53 AM

Default The problems with living in Spain (probably applicable to anywhere)

If I pick hard on the second fret of my D string i get a short buzz. It irritates me but my wife says she doesn't notice.

I have measured everything but cannot find a logical reason for it. I even put some 12-54s on to see if that would change it, but not really.

To see if I was missing something I went on my bike to the old town of Barcelona to a luthier that was recommended to me. He looked at it quickly and told me that all the measurements were fine and he doesn't see a logical reason behind it. At least I knew that I wasn't wrong.

But then he told me that the problem is that my guitar is carbon fibre...

Carbon fibre isn't very flexible and doesn't produce a good sound...

I told him he was wrong and that he should try my guitar, but he wouldn't.

He then started trying to tell me the history of ovation guitars and how their CF guitars were a failure and that it hadn't caught on.

Again I told him he was wrong and that there were many good companies that produce carbon fibre guitars, but when I offered that he play it again, he refused so I just said, of course you already have your ideas...

The only decent thing he said out of all of it is that all guitars have little problems here and there and you just have to learn to live with them. At least he could acknowledge that wooden guitars aren't perfect after all.

I've spent the last couple of days going through all the things I could have said to him. Oh well. Here people just think I have an inferior guitar. But a self claimed luthier should be ashamed of his ignorance and his unwillingness to put his prejudices to trial. I basically got told that my guitar had an illogical buzz that he couldn't solve, but it's because my guitar is rubbish, in general, but wooden guitars have illogical problems too, but just so you know, carbon fibre is rubbish.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 09-10-2016, 11:47 AM
Charter Member

He's a very conservative person and stuck in his ways. Also, let's face it, he makes his living making and working on wooden guitars so he may view carbon-fiber guitars as a threat to his livelihood.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-10-2016, 12:01 PM

This is not a bash on Ovation at all as I used to own one myself. Ovation guitars are not in the same league as today's CF offerings. My guess is that he will come around to at least trying one someday. On top of all that, CF guitars will continue to amaze in both design and tone- a benefit to us already in the know and to those who eventually try one, albeit dragging their heels.
Old 09-10-2016, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

I've owned two Adamas Ovations that I'd put in the same league as other brands of carbon guitars. My 1982 Adamas II turned me on to the tone of carbon fiber with its crystalline shimmer.
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 09-10-2016, 01:41 PM

Is he an older man ? He may just not be open too new things in the realm of guitars. It's a shame because he will miss out on some spectacular tones and innovations, but, to each his own.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
I've owned two Adamas Ovations that I'd put in the same league as other brands of carbon guitars. My 1982 Adamas II turned me on to the tone of carbon fiber with its crystalline shimmer.
Fair enough. my Ovation was a cheapo CC057. I guess I never played any of the really nice ones.
Old 09-10-2016, 03:04 PM
Guest 928

Sir;

You have a maddening problem. I've had similar problems. One time I found that the buzz was coming from much higher on the fret board, the problem being that I lowered the D string a bit too much at the saddle. I found the problem by slipping a very thin piece of plastic under the string, at the saddle, and the buzz stopped. You might also have a higher fret that is just a hair too tall. In any event, I'm glad this is your problem and not mine--this is the sort of thing that can drive you crazy. At least you are in nice place in the universe.; Barcelona is a lovely city.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:22 PM

Found a guy near me that did not mind working on my Rainsong. Young guys are more open. Just needed the action lowered.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 09-10-2016, 07:36 PM

My mind is made up -- don't try to confuse me with the facts......

Just be glad you don't have to rely on this guy for repair work. Sheesh.
Old 09-10-2016, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

A bit off topic, but someone did mention Ovation. I played one of the new ones the other day, no where close to my Rainsong, but at $600. it wasn't too bad at all. Still likes to slip off my lap though.

It amazes me that the OP's guy wouldn't even try it. Could be he was afraid he would like it?? I think the "threat to his business" comment may be spot on.
Old 09-10-2016, 11:24 PM

If there is a buzz that only occurs when you pluck the string strongly or with a pick then the most likely problem is the nut. End of the nut slot is probably rounded off instead of a nice sharp break.

Had this issue on one of the D strings on my WS3000.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 09-11-2016, 01:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Sir;

You have a maddening problem. I've had similar problems. One time I found that the buzz was coming from much higher on the fret board, the problem being that I lowered the D string a bit too much at the saddle. I found the problem by slipping a very thin piece of plastic under the string, at the saddle, and the buzz stopped. You might also have a higher fret that is just a hair too tall. In any event, I'm glad this is your problem and not mine--this is the sort of thing that can drive you crazy. At least you are in nice place in the universe.; Barcelona is a lovely city.
Evan, Barcelona is indeed a great city to live in. Full of Spanish guitars, you would love it.

With regards to the buzz, it is irritating, but I've spent too long recently taking measurements, trying to find a high fret, reading websites, Swapping strings, swapping saddles, trying to make small changes, that in the end, I've played the bloody guitar much less than normal.

For now I'd rather learn to live with it and get back to learning songs. The only way I have found to get rid of the buzz is to set the action much higher, but I'd rather have a normal action 1.75mm - 2.4mm and live with a buzz on that E note.

One last attempt will be to try some hexcore strings with the idea that they will vibrate with less arc, so I have some John Pearse pure nickels 12-54 on the way.

But honestly, I really like this guitar when I am playing it, not when I'm investigating it. so I'll get back to playing
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 09-11-2016, 05:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
He's a very conservative person and stuck in his ways. Also, let's face it, he makes his living making and working on wooden guitars so he may view carbon-fiber guitars as a threat to his livelihood.
I bet when nobody is watching he crossdresses, straps on his carbon fiber guitar, and prances through his shop playing classic rock
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 09-11-2016, 07:30 AM
Charter Member

LOL.... @ Mbroady
Old 09-11-2016, 09:36 AM
Guest 928

AZ: Good call.

Mb: Hilarious! Sort of made my morning, thank you.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber