The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-25-2016, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Stylish View Post
Currently I have on Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze lights on my Rainsong HDR
They Have been on about a week. Tone is very nice. Somewhat punchy, like a Gibson J50.
Retro Lights have been on my Rainsong much more than any of these others. The tone is Vintage Gold in my opinion. So much so that it has influenced others who have played my CF that they had to have one of their own. Retros will be back on as soon as my frustration with the pitchy fickleness of these Aluminum strings has spent my last ounce of patience.

Here are a list of other strings I've tested.
Adamas Phosphor
GHS silk, Phosphor Bronze, 80/20s
D'Addario -Bluegrass, EJ-16
Elixier- Nanos Light, Poly Light
Ernie Ball- Earthwood 80/20, Phoshor Bronze
DR's
SIT's
Martin- Marquis, 80/20's, Bluegrass,

to my ear, feel and style
RETROs are the hands down winner. custom lights - TR mediums. Doesn't seem to matter
after 2-3 hours of hyperactive play, they settle in, stay in pitch, and last for a couple of months during the warm humid season here in VA, and 4-5 months during the winter season.
I love retros on carbon fiber as well, once they get past that "weird" stage- man they sound really good to my ears. It's magical.

I appreciate your list because i trust your judgement. I see a bunch on here that I was tempted to give a shot but won't now because you don't rate them up with your top picks. I think I'll be sticking with retros. There is still one pack I have that I'm very curious about and that is the D'addario Nickel Bronze. I'll post thoughts on those when I get them on the Shorty.
Old 10-25-2016, 07:41 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Nice photo, drplayer.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Thomastik-infield Plectrum on my rainsong......now on all my other guitars. worth every penny. sound and feel great.
E-guitars: Turner Model 1, Fender Strat
Banjo: Gretsch
ukes: TK1, Harmony Smeck, banjo-uke
Old 10-25-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
I love retros on carbon fiber as well, once they get past that "weird" stage- man they sound really good to my ears. It's magical.

I appreciate your list because i trust your judgement. I see a bunch on here that I was tempted to give a shot but won't now because you don't rate them up with your top picks. I think I'll be sticking with retros. There is still one pack I have that I'm very curious about and that is the D'addario Nickel Bronze. I'll post thoughts on those when I get them on the Shorty.
Thank you Sean. I like testing strings cause you just never know until you lace them up. I have not yet tried those D'addario Nickel Bronze either. I guess I'll have to before too long. (cause you just never know)
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 10-25-2016, 10:53 AM

Just put the nickel bronzes on my X20. Pretty nice, warm, lost a little sparkle pretty quickly though
Old 10-27-2016, 09:56 PM

I don't remember what I have on my L13. Must be time to change the strings. It's a great guitar. Have fun.

Cheers,
Tom
Old 10-28-2016, 11:34 PM

I've never played a CF guitar (though obviously, I'm a lurker!) but if you like Retros on the CEO-7, then I would try the new D'Addario Nickel Bronze strings (which I prefer more by only a little on the CEO-7). I, too, really like Retros. Wish I had more than one guitar (Martin 000-15) on which the Retros sound best to me. They sure last!
Old 10-29-2016, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Default ***UPDATE*** String selection

Thanks again to all for offering your suggestions--especially those who recommended Newtones. I was going to start with Retro's since I was familiar with them and loved them on my CEO-7. However, I decided to try the Newtone Master Class double-wound medium-lights first, figuring I could always put the Retro's on later.

WOW, what a huge difference! I'm hoping they give me decent life, because if they do, my search is over! I don't remember ever experiencing this dramatic of a change in tone from a simple string change before. Took an already great--albeit unique--sounding guitar, and really took it up a notch. Sounds much more "traditional" now (like a wood guitar), plus they feel great. So anyway, thanks again...love AGF.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber