The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-20-2017, 10:54 PM
Charter Member

Default A visit to Bruce Sexauers shop today

I paid a visit to Bruce Sexauers shop today to watch his neck building process. He has graciously mentored me on several aspects of guitar building. Aside from being able to learn from a master builder, just spending time getting to know Bruce better is worth the trip in itself. I'm constantly amazed at the generosity extended by this community. Bruce is a good guy and an articulate teacher. Next time you are in the Petaluma area give him a call. If he is not at some critical junction in the build, I'm sure you would be welcomed. He even played a couple of his wonderful instruments and sang some well written originals while we waited for glue to dry. What a great day. Heading back tomorrow for part 2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 02-21-2017, 06:10 AM

What a treat...and thanks for the photos. (they came out really clearly on my phone, but wont fit my PC...weird...)

(And everytime I see that Sexauer cutaway I think it is the best in the business...)

D
Old 02-21-2017, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

My first time posting photos here. The only app I could get to work was Taptalk. Sized medium. Sent from my iPad. They look right on my end. If I'm doing something wrong I'd appreciate some advice on how to fix it.

Old 02-21-2017, 09:48 AM
Charter Member

He makes it all look so easy, eh?

Nice to see the puppy is learning to be shop-trained as well!
Old 02-21-2017, 11:56 AM
Charter Member

He does have his process down to muscle memory, it seems.
"Shop trained puppy"....good one! Not quite trick photography, but a rare moment to be sure.

Old 02-21-2017, 08:18 PM
Charter Member

Sexauers shop visit part 2

Back to the neck build today. It's apparent that having me in the shop slows things way down. A multitude of steps, well explained and closely observed. I've watched several builders videos on neck building, but never had a real good grasp of the process. Especially the tapered compound curve neck shape I believe Bruce calls his helix shape. Watching the layout and sequence in person makes it all so much more understandable. I know my next neck will be much better . Thanks for your generosity Bruce.

Fretboard glued on.

Ready to cut sides on the band saw

[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/
20170222/9d5ce7e3371f2c9a92fad068ba4438f7.jpg[/IMG]
More layout.

The building inspector.

Profiling

Ready for final Dragon Rasp work. Great tool, I'm definitely getting a set.

I had to leave before it was finished. I'll have to check Bruce's build thread to see how it came out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 02-21-2017, 09:49 PM

I would visit myself but it kind of sucks living a half continent away. Makes for a long drive.
Old 02-21-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradHall View Post
Thanks for your generosity Bruce.
As a fellow amateur, I can't tell you how much I connect with this comment, small as it might seem compared to the rest of your post (love the pics!). It's really hard to describe the feeling after our guitar-making heroes take time out of their day to share with us. I'm really glad you had this experience with Bruce.
Old 02-24-2017, 04:39 PM
AGF Sponsor

Much as I enjoy the company, it does slow me down quite a bit to have company. I think of it as a day and half from picking up a likely chunk of mahogany to the first coat of sealer, and this one was nearly 4 days. But not only has Brad offered to take care of my new pup for up to 2 weeks should I care to travel, but he also gifted me a "Parrot" vice, something I have been too cheap to spring for though I can certainly see uses for it, which I did mention while he was here. Nice to know my words weren't mostly going out the other ear.

The first coat of Varnish went on a few minutes ago, and while there isn't enough light in my finish room for decent photography, these slightly arty shots of the neck Brad showed me shaping look kind of cool, so here:

The front and back head plates are matched, by the way, which is generally true on my premium work for the last ten years or so. Can't see them both at the same time w/o a mirror, so I though I'd mention it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop