The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-17-2017, 09:35 AM

Default Don Musser Guitars

Does anyone know the history of Don Musser builds? I've attempted to contact Mr. Musser however seems he doesn't wish to be contacted by the general public that is interested in his guitars. I currently own one of his OM models. What an outstanding example of an alternative to other high end acoustic instruments from Santa Cruz, Collins, Martin Custom Shop for example. I see there was a thread started on Musser guitars years back but not much in the way of participation. Anyone want to chime in on this discussion? Thanks!

Last edited by sellwoodsteve; 02-17-2017 at 10:15 AM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:19 AM

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for but if you go to website "desert exposure silver city luthiers 2006", there you will find some info about Don. Hope this helps.

Ed

Last edited by wannabeGP; 02-17-2017 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:21 AM

I've had several contacts with Don over the years and he seemed rather friendly and approachable. Beautiful guitars for sure.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 AM
AGF Sponsor

Don has posted several threads here over the past couple of years. If you search under his name, you will find the build threads he's done.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 02-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

I played a Musser at McCabe's years back. Very memorable guitar. He's definitely posted some threads here.
Old 02-17-2017, 11:50 AM

Had the wonderful opportunity of hanging out with Don in his Silver City, NM shop many times during the time I lived there. Wonderfully kind, gentle man. Incredible guitars! And you should see his wood stash! Last I heard he is in Colorado now.
Old 02-17-2017, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Have you tried his contact info tab on this forum?
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...er.php?u=92526

His last post was in June, I think, but he was participating.

Many of his guitars are being sold, possibly ordered (?), through Norman's Rare Guitars in the Los Angeles area:
http://www.normansrareguitars.com/

He still only builds about 10 guitars a year. Quite a lot seem to have gone to Japan.

Any specific info you want on his builds?
https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=572579
Old 02-17-2017, 07:42 PM

I live here in Silver City, NM and while I never had the opportunity to meet Don, I have seen a few gorgeous guitars that he built and donated to our annual Blues Festivals to be raffled off. This link shows one of his guitars (built in collaboration with another local luthier, Dan Swanson) being played. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwLZQXdzcPM

Ed

Last edited by wannabeGP; 02-17-2017 at 07:53 PM.
Old 02-18-2017, 04:15 AM
Music soothes the soul!

I liked this one at Norm's.

Old 02-18-2017, 08:01 AM

Default Thank you!

Thanks to all of you for your participation in this thread.

I was aware that Don was in the rare woods business. My understanding is he has in possession some billets that once their gone their gone. Global cutting bans you know? There was recently an article online @ Reverb.com that discussed the depletion of available tone woods. I knew it was coming. I've helped build some very amazing custom homes (mansions) that incorporated some of these woods into the libraries or offices of the homes. I remember signing some of the invoices when the billets were delivered. Man, very costly even back in the 80's. Can't imagine current costs.
My first Don Musser was an OM, Brazilian with a Kingwood back. Kingwood is so rare. God I miss that instrument. Had to give it up. Surgery. I made a promise to myself, after getting financially caught up, I'd buy another if I could find one. They are rare. I even entered the raffle that was mentioned earlier in this thread. No such luck winning. The person that did win the Musser currently has it for sale on Reverb.com.
A little delayed getting back to this thread. Called to work shortly after I started it. Thanks for all of the information!
Old 02-18-2017, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkrell View Post
Have you tried his contact info tab on this forum?
http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...er.php?u=92526

His last post was in June, I think, but he was participating.

Many of his guitars are being sold, possibly ordered (?), through Norman's Rare Guitars in the Los Angeles area:
http://www.normansrareguitars.com/

He still only builds about 10 guitars a year. Quite a lot seem to have gone to Japan.

Any specific info you want on his builds?
I was aware of Norman's Rare Guitars and I think another is 'Dream Guitars'. Thank you!
Old 02-18-2017, 10:03 AM

Sellwoodsteve, perhaps Dan Swanson could be of some assistance since he worked with Don for a few years.

Ed
Old 02-19-2017, 06:27 AM

Default Dan Swanson

Contacting Mr. Swanson is a good idea. - Having the background I do in helping to construct upper end custom homes that incorporated the use of rare woods from around the world, it would be so great to talk to someone who had/has the direct connect to them. Some of these woods were named accordingly. 'Kingwood' for example. Kingwood was used in the constructing the back of my 1st Don Musser OM and can also be found in some of the most costly furniture manufactured for the so called elite. Departs usage into the world of viewing only as an art form in my opinion. Gorgeous and EXPENSIVE!!! - Thanks for your participation in this thread.
Old 02-19-2017, 08:42 AM

Sellwoodsteve, I can appreciate your knowledge and interest in specialty woods. On that note, the phone # in the phone book for Dan Swanson is (575) 538-8129. In case you have difficulty reaching Dan, you can try contacting the Mimbres Regional Arts Council (MRAC). They may be able to provide some information on reaching either Dan or possibly Don Musser. The phone # for MRAC is: (575) 538-2505.

Ed
Old 02-19-2017, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

A friend of mine has one of Don Musser's Dreadnaughts, it's a wonderful guitar.

California Vintage Guitar and Amp in Sherman Oaks also often has one or two
Don Musser guitars in stock

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop