The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-10-2017, 12:27 PM

Default All of you with EXPENSIVE custom guitars :) do you insure?

I figured out i am paying $6 for every $1,000 in guitars and music gear I have covered in a special instrument policy with Heritage (on an annual basis). Anyone have experiences, opinions or thoughts on

1) Necessity of such insurance
2) Value of such insurance
3) Am I getting a good price?
Old 02-10-2017, 12:42 PM
Charter Member

Anyone have experiences, opinions or thoughts on

1) Necessity of such insurance

Absoulutely! Got it the day some drug couple broke into homes on our neighborhood. Wife got caught husband ran away. He came back to break into homes the day she was appearing in court!

2) Value of such insurance

Great peace of mind, priceless, plus they replaced a guitar that got damaged when someone tripped over a cheap guitar and broke the body and neck.

3) Am I getting a good price?

I think the price I pay for replacement (list price on some custom and high end guitars) from Heritage is totally worth it.

My guitars are always coming and going and being played so I never know what will happen, and I never worried about it too much until I saw the results of people on drugs doing whatever to get drugs, including breaking into homes that are occupied!
Old 02-10-2017, 12:51 PM
Charter Member

Insurance is insurance...worthless until you need it! I have Heritage as well, and like my car insurance, homeowners insurance, and life insurance, I'm comforted knowing I have it, so it's well worth it to me.

In addition, over the last couple years alone--by insuring guitars through them that I sold & shipped--I have likely saved close to the cost of my premium as compared to declaring a value through UPS...which is no insurance at all.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-10-2017, 12:54 PM

My guitars are insured through my home insurance because I have no choice.

Otherwise an insurance is only worth buying if you can't afford the loss.

Keep in mind insurance companies exist to make money so technically they always charge more than they pay.
Old 02-10-2017, 12:58 PM
Charter Member

I've got "new" replacement value through homeowners.
Old 02-10-2017, 02:02 PM
Charter Member

Insurance is, at its most basic, asset protection.

Do you have the money (asset) to replace (protection) the guitar? that is self-insurance.

Do you want to not have to touch your savings (asset) to replace the guitar? then buy a policy (protection).

Huss & Dalton CM
McKnight MacNaught
Breedlove Custom 000
Albert & Mueller S
Martin LXE
Voyage-Air VM04
Eastman AR605CE
Old 02-10-2017, 02:25 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Insurance is insurance...worthless until you need it! I have Heritage as well, and like my car insurance, homeowners insurance, and life insurance, I'm comforted knowing I have it, so it's well worth it to me.

In addition, over the last couple years alone--by insuring guitars through them that I sold & shipped--I have likely saved close to the cost of my premium as compared to declaring a value through UPS...which is no insurance at all.
+1. I have all my guitars insured for "agreed value" with Heritage. Homeowners insurance is not going to provide the full and broad based coverage that a dedicated music instrument policy does.

Drplayer - my understanding with Heritage is they do not automatically cover guitars when shipped. You need to add that individually each time you ship, at an additional premium cost. You may want to double check your coverage with Heritage.

There are two ways of spreading light: to be the candle or the mirror that reflects it.
- Edith Wharton, writer
Old 02-10-2017, 02:50 PM
Charter Member

I have guitars insured with a separate policy through State Farm, at about $30/year/guitar, so your price sounds reasonable.

I think it's totally worth the peace of mind.

Martin OM28 (European Spruce/EIR)
Collings OM3A (Adirondack/EIR)
Greven OOO (Lutz/Brazilian)
Greven OO (Lutz/Maple)
ARK Senorita S6-12 (Adirondack/Mahogany)
Circa OOO-12 (European Spruce/Mun Ebony)
Old 02-10-2017, 03:03 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastman View Post
+1. I have all my guitars insured for "agreed value" with Heritage. Homeowners insurance is not going to provide the full and broad based coverage that a dedicated music instrument policy does.

Drplayer - my understanding with Heritage is they do not automatically cover guitars when shipped. You need to add that individually each time you ship, at an additional premium cost. You may want to double check your coverage with Heritage.
You are correct...whenever I ship a guitar, I contact Heritage and let them know when it's shipping, as well as provide them the ship-from & ship-to address. They confirm it's covered (usually within 1/2 hour or so), and off it goes. They then bill me for whatever the cost was--which is FAR less expensive than UPS's "declared value" charges. So, I both save $ and have the comfort that the guitar is fully insured for full value.

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 02-10-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post
I've got "new" replacement value through homeowners.
Same here.
1999 CFox 'Frisco' concert w/ Trance Amulet MV
2016 Taylor GS Mini-e RW
2020 Goodall KCJ
Fishman Loudbox Mini
Old 02-10-2017, 04:28 PM

Can you afford to replace everything (in cash) without it hurting your financial condition? Can you afford to replace everything "important", even if not everything, in cash... etc? If so, insurance is money in the trash. If not, insure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 02-10-2017, 04:35 PM
Charter Member

I use Heritage and it gives me piece of mind. For an extra $30 they cover a guitar when shipped. Never have had a claim and hope I never do.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:14 PM

I treat insurance as a gamble. You are laying odds that you are likely to claim, they (the bookies) are laying odds that you won't. Usually they win. Insurance is a valuable tool and must not be ignored, unless you are very well off and can afford a substantial loss. That is not me. I've probably spent more on insurance over the years than I have claimed, but it has certainly got me out of a few jams over the years. I won't be without it.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Smile Insurance...

I have a heritage policy on all my gear. Seems cheap to me.
Especially as we live in a fire danger area in the mountains east of San Diego. Also, if you are a pro musician your home owner's insurance will usually NOT cover your musical equipment.
Go figure!

Cheers

Paul
Jumbo OLD Brazilian RW/WRC
Big Tunnel 14 RW/Bubinga Dread(ish)

R.T 2 12c sinker RW/Claro
96 422ce bought new!
96 LKSM 12
552ce 12x12

J. Stepick Bari Weissy WRC/Walnut

More
Old 02-10-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
My guitars are insured through my home insurance because I have no choice.

Otherwise an insurance is only worth buying if you can't afford the loss.

Keep in mind insurance companies exist to make money so technically they always charge more than they pay.
+1
Same here. Little known fact: Home Owner's Insurance also covers your guitars (ski equipment, laptops, etc.) if they were un-recovered from your stolen vehicle.

*Always keep photo records of your costly possessions with each corresponding serial number. If you are renting, Renter's Insurance covers everything in your secured rental area.

Last edited by Neonzapper; 02-10-2017 at 06:34 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop