The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-08-2017, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCharter View Post
It doesn't feel like a dread at all.

That being said everyone's physical limitations are different and I can't answer your question.

Short of trying an Olson SJ, you could probably locate a J-185 and give it a shot. The J-185 is actually slightly larger but the curves are similar.

Quite frankly I think you worry a lot for very little.
You could be right; I tend to sweat the details! If I were to decide to go for it, I'd be quite upset if it didn't work and I had to return it. I guess I'd know for sure then!

Thanks for everyone's advice and help; I will make my final decision on my own. If the vote is yes I will post my NGD.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18

Last edited by TJNies; 02-08-2017 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:46 PM

Default Olson

Fly first class or your kids will do it.

Get the point?

I bit the bullet 7 years or so ago and couldn't be happier. It is the third from the top on this page. It has the most beautiful BRW imaginable:

http://olsonguitars.com/the-art/recently-sold/5/
Old 02-13-2017, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drplayer View Post
Yep, about as helpful as any other post on AGF offering opinions...
My favorite post on the AGF in a long time!!!
Old 02-13-2017, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K III View Post

Get the point?

I bit the bullet 7 years or so ago and couldn't be happier. It is the third from the top on this page. It has the most beautiful BRW imaginable:

You have the Yin-yang? Gorgeous.

Of course Jim is "only" offering the James Taylor IRW or BRW variants, no customs. The latter is a $10k upcharge. Perhaps well worth the money.

No progeny here; whatever I don't spend is going to charity / siblings. I'm the youngest of 10, so maybe only a few left at that point!

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 02-15-2017, 11:19 AM

The Fretboard Journal has an interesting podcast featuring Olson. His descriptions of his approaches to building are fascinating. After all these years, he appears to have developed some really effective methods that allow him at least a few efficiencies in production which increase his yield with no compromise to the astonishing quality of his work. Just hearing him talk -- in plain, modest language -- gives you an inspiring feel for what happens when an individual of talent, skill, and commitment pursues challenging work, with thought and care, over a long period of time. Though I cannot afford an Olson, they do not strike me as expensive for what they are, nor do I think of them as luxuries. Over the life of such a guitar, the "cost per year" is moderate, and value is retained to a high degree anyway. If you love music and guitars, and if playing something so wonderful adds to the experience of your life, how skilled your playing is or isn't seems irrelevant to me. Looming forward to your guitar is as exciting as heck, and getting and playing it should be absolutely wonderful. Yay!
Old 02-16-2017, 06:38 AM

That's very old school brazilian rosewood that the Martin factory in 1930 would have probably thought was from the top of the pile.

Quote:
Originally Posted by K III View Post

Get the point?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop