The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-12-2017, 06:08 PM

Default Harbinger coming out with new array P.A.

Hi All,
I've been going back & forth about which array P.A. to get that's small, compact & light. I don't want to drop $1500+ in case it doesn't work out for my solo gigs. After all my research was done, I settled on the JBL Eon. I've got a 2016 Mustang hardtop, so room is at a premium. I measured my trunk & it 'should' fit. Then when I was shopping in the P.A. section of GC online, I saw Harbinger has a new array P.A. which GC will get on 02-03-17! Here's the link to the GC pre-order page:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Harbinge...estid=1735494#

And here's the 'rough' user's manual. If you click "See More Details For FCC ID" it will give you a LOT more pictures, components & such. It looks to be a 'Tonwel Audio' brand from China. And if you scroll below that there's a bunch more links to information that's downloadable.

https://fccid.io/document.php?id=3098326

I emailed Harbinger & they got back to me saying yes, GC will have it in Feb and he confirmed it's so new its not even on the Harbinger website! From the looks of the pictures GC has, the bottom woofer part looks a lot like a Bose L1 Compact. But... the mixer part has more to offer than the Bose. It has 2 channels XLR / 1/4" combo, mic/line switch & volume (no tone controls). Channel 3 has volume, 1/8" stereo in, 2x RCA in, Aux or Bluetooth switch. Right next to aux in is the Bluetooth pairing button. The far right strip of the mixer has a power/clip LED, a master treble (boost/cut @ 10k) & bass control (boost/cut @ 100hz) and a XLR out that says 'next'. The manual says it's a 'line out'. How thoughtful. Because of the 2 XLR ins you could easily run the outs of your mixer into these. I think that's why they opts for no tone controls. Good call there Harbinger. But that's not the best of it yet!

When I met my local Bose rep I asked him about the L1 Compact's amp. The specs say 130 watts but not how it's distributed. The rep told me it's 2x 60 watts. Ok. Sounds pretty darn good for 60 watts each, top & bottom. The Harbinger has a 2x 120 watts RMS for the sub & the array. Wow! I just hope it sounds as good as it looks. The bass speaker is an 8" just like the Bose. The array comes in 2 sections with the top having 6 speakers at 2.75" each. Bigger than the Bose (2"). Not sure if those speakers are angled like the Bose are. It's really hard to tell from the stock pictures. The array columns come with a travel bag. No bag for the sub though. A singe array section is 4.1"x 7.8" x 33.6". The sub measures 20.4" x 16.3 x 20.6". Weight is 11 lbs each for the array sections & 28.6 lbs for the sub. So it's 22 lbs heavier than the Bose' total.

Street price is... on the webpage. It's well within my budget & I'm seriously considering putting one on pre-order. I've researched just about all the array P.A.'s out there. Some well beyond my budget. Some so big they won't fit in my sportscar. But this Harbinger array will fit in my trunk. I think if this array sounds decent, it should do really well in sales considering its price point. 2 year warranty too. It will be interesting to see what appears for info on the Harbinger website.

Alvarez ABT60 Bari Nat/ABT60E Rust-burst
Cordoba Flamenco GK Studio Zircote
D'Angelico Lexington Dred
Ibanez AC240 OM hog
2x Martin DSR Dred rosewood
Martin DSM Dred hog
Martin full Ovangkol Dred
Martin D-35 (2019)
Yamaha A5M Jap Cust Shop Dred
Yamaha A3M Dred
Yamaha A4K full Koa Dred
Bose S1 Pro
JBL Eon 1 original (2 each)

Objects in the future are closer then they appear.

Last edited by TheShadowKnows; 01-12-2017 at 06:25 PM. Reason: added extra description for owner's manual link.
Old 01-12-2017, 08:24 PM

I have a Harbinger APS 12 which sounds OK and a Harbinger V2115 which sounds good. For the price, they out out pretty decent products that I (a non paid worship leader) can work with and get a good sound out of at smaller venues without having to cart around my much heavier Yamaha MSR400s.

If you get it, please keep us posted and go how it works for you.
Old 01-12-2017, 11:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YamahaGuy View Post
I have a Harbinger APS 12 which sounds OK and a Harbinger V2115 which sounds good. For the price, they out out pretty decent products that I (a non paid worship leader) can work with and get a good sound out of at smaller venues
I will buy this sight unseen based on my recent experience with Harbinger. Harbinger has truly changed my sound tremendously at a great price point. I am a (Paid) worship leader & solo musician who plays acoustic guitar & keyboards. I sequence songs on keyboard & play live acoustic guitars through this sound system.

Based on the Harbinger set-up I have put together over the last 2 months I will have no problem looking at this piece, & adding it to what I have already....It should fit in quite nicely. You would be amazed at the quality of these Harbinger products at a great price. I waited till all items were at a ridiculous price & pulled the trigger, & literally stole this system....

This is my set up for a medium sized Church.....

Harbinger L1402 FX 14 channel mixer $101 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...eview?pfm=ac-a

Harbinger M350 PA stand alone $246 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...with-subwoofer

Harbinger Var 2115 Speakers (set of 2) $298 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-a...ed-loudspeaker

Fishman Loudbox Performer $749 http://www.musiciansfriend.com/ampli...chTerm=fishman

I go right out from the Harbinger mixer to the Harbinger M350, which is a line array stand alone PA...I then go left out to 2 daisy chained Harbinger Vari 2115's.

I also I use my Fishman Loudbox Performer direct out into the system, so my Taylor & Breedlove acoustics sound outta this world with 4 speakers....Each is EQ'd separately on the Fishman as they are different beasts.....When I play the acoustics with this system I am simply blown away....

My Korg P4X keyboard sounds exceptional on this set up, & the sequenced drums and bass are rock bottom solid. The VOX are crisp & crystal clear..

So yeah, this is my own invention how I am using all this gear, but my oh my what coverage in the whole sanctuary.....

An absolute rockin' system...........unreal for what I paid

Breedlove American C25 SME--Neumann KMS 105---Fishman Loudbox Performer---KORG PA 4X--Tascam DP 24
God, My Guitar, & Me
Old 01-12-2017, 11:20 PM

Default Harbinger coming out with new array P.A.

I might give this a go depending on the built in mixer options. Looks interesting. I love how many Bose clones there are at affordable prices!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification