The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 01-18-2017, 04:57 PM

Default Barre chords and soft fingers

Hi
I wonder if anyone can help. I've always suffered from what I call soft index finger syndrome in as much as when I play Barre chords, l can't get all of the strings to "ring" properly, however hard I press down on the fret.

It’s as if I need to harden up the length of my index finger, just like we callous up our finger tips. Don't laugh, but I've tried running my index finger up and down the fret board on its own along with liberal coatings of surgical spirit for hours in an effort to harden it up, but to no avail.

The problem is more pronounced nearer to the nut and my guitars are set up about as low as I can go.

I've even considered relieving the fretboard inbetween the frets Ritchie Blackmore style, but before I resort to such vandalism of my guitars, I thought I'd ask on the forum.

So, anyone got any ideas?

Best regards
Dawpooldad
Old 01-18-2017, 09:08 PM

Try rolling your finger slightly so that you're using the bony outside edge rather than the fleshy pads.

Playing Guitar - Books, Free Lessons & Practice Resources
Old 01-18-2017, 10:31 PM

The only advice I have is to play/pracice more. There's really no other answer. More play with proper technique. If you're not sure, ask a teacher for lessons for a period.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:38 PM

Steve is completely right. You have to spend days working on this, maybe even weeks before you find your personal sweet spot for bar chords. For me it was to slightly bow my index finger just behind the fret but the tip of my finger actually rolls over the top of the fret too. It's one of those completely personal things.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:53 PM
Charter Member

Low fret height and soft index finger makes barres difficult. Try a well set up guitar that has taller frets and see what you think.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 01-18-2017, 11:02 PM

When barre only requires the addition of two fingers cross the middle finger over the top of index for more pressure. Over time fingers get stronger and it gets easier.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 01-18-2017, 11:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tahitijack View Post
When barre only requires the addition of two fingers cross the middle finger over the top of index for more pressure. Over time fingers get stronger and it gets easier.
I do that frequently when the music fits.

Old 01-18-2017, 11:44 PM

Yes, although I never did this, I can see how it could be helpful with the middle finger over top of the index.
Old 01-19-2017, 03:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawpooldad View Post
The problem is more pronounced nearer to the nut
This can suggest a badly set up nut. Do you know how to check for that? A simple check is to put a capo on the first fret. If that makes barre chords easier your nut is set up too high.
Old 01-19-2017, 06:18 AM
Charter Member

I avoid barre chords as much as I can. Learn to do partial chords.

Follow The Yellow Brick Road
Old 01-19-2017, 07:31 AM

+1 for this recommendation

Quote:
Originally Posted by FwL View Post
Try rolling your finger slightly so that you're using the bony outside edge rather than the fleshy pads.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-19-2017, 07:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanron View Post
This can suggest a badly set up nut. Do you know how to check for that? A simple check is to put a capo on the first fret. If that makes barre chords easier your nut is set up too high.
Yea, this is most likely your problem, other than more practice.
2021 Emerald X7 Select
2020 Emerald X10 Woody Select 3-way
2016 Emerald X20 Artisan
2002 Gibson J185EC JJ Cale
2009 Gibson EC-20
1974 Alvarez Dreadnought
2013 Woody Tahitian hybrid Uke
2008 Zager 3/4 Size
Some camp fire guitars, classical's,
& electric's
Old 01-19-2017, 08:31 AM

I struggled learning the barre chord (E shape) for a long time, about 6 months? It was a year before I could do it with ease. I started barre chords almost as soon as I could play G C and D.

I struggled on the acoustic to make the chord, but it wasn't until I got an electric that I had a breakthrough. It is much easier on electric (less tension). Once I did it on electric, I had the confidence that I was using the right technique, which immediately transferred into success on the acoustic.

So I recommend trying some easier strings - either electric guitar, nylon, or maybe silk steels on the acoustic. Once you have the technique, you will be able to work on strength later. And my acoustic isn't set up easy either...

The other main tip I have - try positioning your index differently at different positions. The strings don't have a uniform separation up and down the neck. So position your finger differently based on that. Try to put a knuckle over the most problematic strings. For instance, with the E shape (or E minor), you will need more pressure around strings 2, 3, 4. When you do the C shape barre, you will want that bigger pressure around strings 1, 3, 6. Position the hardest part of your finger (knuckle) for maximum impact. You already recognized that the fleshy part isn't as useful.
Old 01-19-2017, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Jelly View Post
I avoid barre chords as much as I can. Learn to do partial chords.
This might sound a little flip, but that's good advice. The acoustic players I admire the most, in a variety of genres, do not play tons of barre chords. Folks who generally know how to play acoustic guitars to their best advantage, don't play tons of barre chords. It's not where the best tone lives. Getting all 6 (E-chord form) or 5 (A-chord form) strings to sustain cleanly for long durations will never get you to acoustic nirvana. The path lies elsewhere Grasshopper
Old 01-19-2017, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFD View Post
This might sound a little flip, but that's good advice. The acoustic players I admire the most, in a variety of genres, do not play tons of barre chords. Folks who generally know how to play acoustic guitars to their best advantage, don't play tons of barre chords. It's not where the best tone lives. Getting all 6 (E-chord form) or 5 (A-chord form) strings to sustain cleanly for long durations will never get you to acoustic nirvana. The path lies elsewhere Grasshopper
Outside of pure strumming having all six strings sounding, either at the same time or sequentially, is not the often the reason for using barres. Learning to use barre chords and non barre chords with equal facility is a good idea.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write