The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-03-2017, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkair View Post
Louis,

Advice taken!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/136965.../shares/P2Z6N2

There is a learning curve here, but it does what I wanted. Running the Mini's D.I. mix back into the JamHub works great too.

Want to still try some other ideas too. Thank goodness for ebay. Shouldn't get hurt financially.

My only complaint is that the Taylor's pickup doesn't sound good in headphones from this mixer. But that may be the case for any mixer. I think there is a work around for that - something about a D.I. pedal. I will study up on it. OR I may just mic up my guitar and see how that sounds. I have 7 ports LOL!
Glad this is enabling you to do what you want!

As far as improving the sound of the Taylor's pickup is concerned, what you probably need is some EQ adjustment, and for that you can use something like an L. R. Baggs Venue or Para Acoustic DI (and there are lots of other units of this type--preamp/EQ units with DI outs). This would be instead of the simple DI box I suggested you use to split the guitar signal between the amp and the Jamhub. A little reverb from the JamHub's effects engine might help, too, so experiment with that.

Louis
Old 01-05-2017, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotofantom View Post
Okay, I appreciate the detailed responses to Sulkair's question, But I'm still puzzled as to why the DI output from the Mini won't work with a headphone amp. Is it an issue with the XLR cable? Would it work with a headphone amp with XLR input? So could you go from the Mini XLR out via XLR cable to headphone amp XLR in?
I posted this in another thread, but here's a response from Fishman:

"You can use the Mix DI Out to connect to a headphone amp and then turn down the master volume to mute the speakers. If you need further help, let me know."

When asked if there are any particular suggested connections to a headphone amp that has balanced 3 pin XLR inputs, such as a cable connection from the Mix DI Out to headphone amp using XLR Y cable (1 XLR female for Mix DI Out ->2 XLR male for headphone amp input), Fishman responded:

"The XLR input would be ideal in this case. That should work fine."

I have a good amount of experience with hifi headphone setups but don't have a lot of experience with guitar amps so won't know until it's tried (and Fishman rep may have the opposite experience), but this makes sense to me.

While there are likely general use/cost reasons why the Loudbox mini doesn't have a dedicated headphone out, it seems the XLR out is intended to be multipurpose and not restrict headphone use. There are much cheaper guitar amps with headphone/aux outs but they may not sound as good.

My guess is that bad sound (noticeable hum/hiss) using the Loudbox Mini -> headphone amp is from something wrong in the chain, such as: wrong cable; cheap headphone amp (you don't need a $1k+ headphone amp to get good sound, but possible a cheap headphone amp could cause problems); bad synergy with headphone amp and headphones ($1k+ headphones can sound awful with the wrong amp -- much worse than stock Apple earbuds out of an iPhone -- for reasons ranging from very sensitive IEMs to power hungry full sized headphones that aren't driven properly.

If sound coming out of the Loudbox Mini is great, adding a D.I. seems wasteful at best -- the XLR out takes sound out after all inputs (instruments, vocals, effects, aux in). It seems like its just a matter of connecting the XLR out to a mixer/headphone amp/other device that meets your needs taking into consideration what gear you already have.

Last edited by Warrenaines; 01-05-2017 at 12:42 AM.
Old 01-05-2017, 06:03 AM

Good info, thanks Warrenaines. I will experiment.
Epiphone Dot
Old 01-06-2017, 05:07 AM

Sulkair, I just ran across this and I thought of you: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...791571267&ap=y

You can run your mic and instrument separately through it and on to your amp. You can monitor both through headphones and control the volume of each one individually. You would need two of these if you each wanted to hear a different mix.
Epiphone Dot
Old 01-07-2017, 06:11 PM

I play solo gigs singing and playing.

Here's the setup I settled on, and maybe it will work for you.

I have a loudbox artist that I use tilted back so it points at me as a monitor, positioned 4-6 feet in front of my mic stand. From the Mixed DI out I run to a 150 watt powered speaker pointed at the audience and usually place this as far away from the the amp as possible. I turn the amp up so that I can hear it without being blown away by the volume.

I've also used this same setup to play inside and fill a room with the volume from the amp, and place the powered speaker outside where they have additional seating, so this type of setup offers quite a bit of flexibility when it comes to different venues.

I'm not sure that the artist will still send DI out if you use the headphone jack. That jacks made for practice and I don't think will do what you want it to do.
Gibson 1963 LG0
Gibson 2013 J45
Gibson 2013 LG2 American Eagle
Martin 1993 D1
And many more......

Tom
Palm Bay, FL

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification