The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-26-2016, 10:06 PM

Default Loudbox Mini with 2 or 3 sets of headphones???

I am a novice, and don't know much about this stuff. I went ahead and picked up a Loudbox Mini for my acoustic Taylor and a fairly dang nice mic for my daughter to sing into as I play. The Mini works great for this! But we are going deaf playing next to it when it is turned up sufficiently for the audience to enjoy.

Is there anyway to use the D.I. Output into some type of device that would allow a sort of 'in ear monitoring' for my daughter and I. I was imagining using a couple high quality headphones to start as opposed to in-ear ( I have a nice set made by Bose) and could get another set for my daughter.

I'd like to be able to control individual volume for each of us. And would it be possible to add a 3rd headset too? Incase we add another singer?

Is the mini not equipped to do this in anyway?

Thank you!!!
Old 12-27-2016, 09:14 AM

This might work with an adapter to convert the xlr to 1/4". The are many options with regards to headphone amps. Just depends on your budget.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Headphon...iers-Mixers.gc
Old 12-27-2016, 09:49 AM

Thank you! So a "headphone amp" is what I should be looking for. Got it - will head to Guitar Center.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:02 AM

I think you might consider a rethink on the way you're setting up for performance. If you get a small PA speaker like a Yamaha DBR 10 and put it up on a tripod speaker stand, you could put it in front of you or to the side pointing out at the audience away from you. Then you could turn it up as loud as you need. You would plug into the Mini and send the signal to the speaker from the DI out. Then you could simply place the Mini behind you on stage at a moderate volume for monitoring. A speaker like the DBR10 will also cover the audience better without having to be pushed anywhere near it's volume limit.

And you won't have to perform with headphones on, which can look strange, making you look isolated up there in your own world rather than interacting with an audience (small in-ear devices are better for stage presentation).

It's also worth noting that to use in-ear or headphone devices for monitoring, it's wise to use a device that will limit the volume spikes that can occur if, say a mic falls on the stage or someone plugs or unplugs something when they shouldn't. Without some kind of limiter in the device, you can injure your ears.

Louis
Old 12-27-2016, 01:09 PM

Wow - Louis thank you for this. So in short what I'm hearing from you is that if we must do in-ear, it's important to go with a bonafide in-ear system that has protections, and headsets will look odd in a live performance.

But that a simple PA speaker might be the best answer. I will research these alternatives.

Thank you so much.
Old 12-27-2016, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sulkair View Post
Wow - Louis thank you for this. So in short what I'm hearing from you is that if we must do in-ear, it's important to go with a bonafide in-ear system that has protections, and headsets will look odd in a live performance.

But that a simple PA speaker might be the best answer. I will research these alternatives.

Thank you so much.
Yes on both counts (and you're very welcome)!

I'll add that for small acoustic gigs, in-ear monitoring is probably overkill. Those systems were developed to solve the problems that come with a loud stage, and you're not going to be generating the sort of volume that will cause the problems that in-ears are designed to fix.

The PA speaker with acoustic amp as monitor set up is a variation on exactly how these components are designed to work (and work together). And if your ensemble grows and the gigs get bigger, you can just add a mixer and more of the same speaker to both cover more audience and provide more monitors on stage. I mentioned the DBR10 as a cost-effective, well-designed, and very portable option, but there are lots of good powered speakers out there that will do this job (with the usual trade-offs between feature sets, size, weight, and cost). Electro-Voice, RCF, QSC, etc. all make good ones appropriate for your uses. And there are also the Yamaha DXR speakers.

Louis
Old 12-27-2016, 01:28 PM

Quote:

Thank you so much.
I agree with the others. You could consider a system like the Fishman SA220 (used), or similar, that projects to the audience without too much volume close in. Typically, in venues where the small amps are appropriate, the volume is usually low. Are you perhaps blasting the audience as well?
Old 12-27-2016, 03:05 PM

Last edited by sulkair; 12-27-2016 at 04:57 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Are you perhaps blasting the audience as well?
Distinct possibility. Will keep this in mind for sure.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:25 PM

I suggest for now, position the amp farther away from you and not directly at you. It's a free and easy fix.
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 12-29-2016, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vancebo View Post
I suggest for now, position the amp farther away from you and not directly at you. It's a free and easy fix.
Tried this, and you're right, it is better, but still not what I'm looking for.

I want to hear the sound right in my ears at a comfortable level.

Update: Yesterday I picked up a headphone amp from Guitar Center - I over paid of course. Plugged it in to my D.I. output. Slapped a set of Bose QC 15 headphones on and it sounded TERRIBLE. Utterly terrible.

(That won't work)

Today I stopped by a sound shop and talked to the owner. He explained I need a mixer to send the signal to both my Loudbox Mini and to my headphone amp separately. He said this would be the poor-man's in-ear monitoring system. So I think I'll go that route and give it a shot. I will report back.

I'd at least like for us to be able to practice with some sort of set-up like this even if we don't use it for performances.
Old 12-29-2016, 07:49 PM

MartyC

Actually I have not tried this yet: What you initially recommended. I will also try this: http://www.guitarcenter.com/Rolls/PM...Amp.gc#reviews
Old 12-30-2016, 05:55 AM

I hate the LB mini doesn't have a headphone out. This would sound much better.

Maybe you could take your stuff to Guitar center and try several options there. Small mixers with headphones out, other headphone amps, .etc.

the di out is made to run to a mixer. Maybe try adding an inexpensive mixer after the loudbox and use the headphone out of the mixer. This way you have the sound you already said you liked from the loudbox and are able to eq a little more for the in ears to your taste. It might even be less expensive with a small Mackie or Yamaha. If you get one with at least one xlr and one 1/4" input, you would be able to try it before and after the loudbox to see which would work better.
Old 12-30-2016, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Update: Yesterday I picked up a headphone amp from Guitar Center - I over paid of course. Plugged it in to my D.I. output. Slapped a set of Bose QC 15 headphones on and it sounded TERRIBLE. Utterly terrible.
Could you be more specific? What adapter and what headphone amp did you try? What specifically was the problem with the audio?

I too am interested in using headphones with my Loudbox Mini, and I wonder if it is possible to do with the speaker volume turned down.
Epiphone Dot
Old 12-30-2016, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I hate the LB mini doesn't have a headphone out. This would sound much better.

Maybe you could take your stuff to Guitar center and try several options there. Small mixers with headphones out, other headphone amps, .etc.

the di out is made to run to a mixer. Maybe try adding an inexpensive mixer after the loudbox and use the headphone out of the mixer. This way you have the sound you already said you liked from the loudbox and are able to eq a little more for the in ears to your taste. It might even be less expensive with a small Mackie or Yamaha. If you get one with at least one xlr and one 1/4" input, you would be able to try it before and after the loudbox to see which would work better.
I know! I'm actually tempted to send my mini back and get the Artist, which has a headphone jack!

Good idea about trying the mixer on both ends - I will report back.

Good idea about taking my stuff over to Guitar Center and trying different options, or maybe even that independent sound shop.

Thanks MartyC!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification