The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-07-2010, 11:41 AM

Default Solid Body Electric

I realize this is an acoustic guitar forum, but maybe someone can advise me.

Generally speaking, how tough is it remove the finish off the body of a solid body electric with a bolt on neck ($200 guitar)? Do you used chemicals and/or sanding? How do you apply new paint/finish?

Also, if I can't do it myself, how much should something like this cost me if I get someone else to do it?

I realize some of this may vary, so I am just looking for general info.

Thanks!
Old 12-07-2010, 12:26 PM

Personally, I feel that you will get the best results by spending a bit of cash on sandpaper and a sanding block, and a lot of time. Are you wanting to just change the colour of the guitar? If so, you won't need to take ALL the paint off.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:31 PM

Cheap guitars--very tough. Probably a thick coat of poly on there, covering up likely a 3 or more piece body...

I'd highly suggest browsing or joining up at the tdpri.com. There's a section there ("finely finished", or something) that has a bunch of threads by guys who's whole deal is finishing and refinishing solid body guitars. You might learn a bunch, and figure out if it will be worth the hassle.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 12-07-2010, 03:25 PM

Default You'll find this site very helpful...I did!

http://reranch.com/reranch/index

Check out the FAQ's, Jigs & Tools section and read the link you will find in the "Where and How do you start a refinish"

Most folks here use a chemical stripper or heat gun to remove thick poly finishes. If the guitar has binding around the body or headstock- then extreme care must be used when taking off the old finish (chemical strippers will dissolve plastic binding in a matter of seconds and we all (hopefully) know what too much direct heat does to plastics!)

Good luck and most of all- take your time!

BIG GAP in GAS
'87 Guild D25-12 w/ K&K PWM- acquired in '07
'12 Voyage Air VAMD-02
'16 Alvarez MFA70- new to the herd 1/4/17
Ultrasound AG50DS4

Now playing in honor of The Bandito of Bling, TBondo & Dickensdad

Last edited by sharkydude50; 12-07-2010 at 03:30 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:49 AM

pig of a job.

if you want a bare wood finish, then forget it.

if it is solid wood, then it'll be several pieces, quite possible with filler. of course it is most likely ply.

if you want a different colour, sand it enough to get a "key" so the new paint will stick properly.
I LOVE that guy!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2010, 10:24 AM

Yeah, this sounds like too much work for me. I'm not THAT interested.

I'm pretty sure it's not plywood. It's $200 used, not new.

Let me ask this. If I have seen another guitar of the same model but with a natural finish and it is one piece, can I assume that the painted one is also one piece? Or do the manufactures' do it both ways (single piece and multiple piece) and leave the single pieced ones natural and paint the multiple piece bodies?
Old 12-09-2010, 06:07 AM

very few cheap guitars are one piece bodies ... in fact, very few US made Fenders are one piece. Some seams are well matched, but there's really no way to tell until you strip that finish.

for some who just want to change the color, it's enough to sand the finish (without stipping), then use a bonding paint over.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair