The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-14-2009, 02:53 PM

Default CA Cargo RAW - pretty impressive

Just picked this one up today. I was able to try out the High Gloss and Road Tough Finish Cargos. The High Gloss sounded the best - by far the nicest one, but was priced over $1200. The Cargo RAW sounded more responsive than the the RT and for almost $150 less. Anyways, really loving it - I've owned more than a dozen CA guitars - this Cargo is definitely great sounding.
I still want to experiment with strings - not sure if going to Mediums would make the guitar sound unbalanced.

Oh and I highly recommend buying a CA from Ted at www.laguitarsales.com

Best prices - just give him a call or email. He has a ton in stock.
Old 09-14-2009, 03:44 PM

Default Composite Acoustics Cargo

Hi Samuelich,

Good luck with your new Cargo. I played a raw recently and loved it. Let me know what strings you decide on. Also, how is your action? The action on the one I played was a bit high but nice for finger style.
m.s.
Old 09-14-2009, 04:54 PM

I have the raw OX and like it alot .. both my Cargos are RT finish but that raw is nicer.
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 09-19-2009, 01:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael s View Post
Hi Samuelich,

Good luck with your new Cargo. I played a raw recently and loved it. Let me know what strings you decide on. Also, how is your action? The action on the one I played was a bit high but nice for finger style.
m.s.
Hey Michael,

So I ended up returning the RAW due to a finish issue on the neck (the paint began coming off on my hand). Ted over at LA Guitar Sales worked out a deal for me and I ended up going home with a RT finish Cargo.
I came home and put on some new D'addario PB Mediums - so far so good.
The Mediums really give the guitar extra volume and richness to the tone.

In terms of the action, I would say mine is on the higher end, but that's what I prefer...

Pretty bummed that the Cargo RAW didn't work out, but I am enjoying this Cargo RT.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:16 AM

Default Cargo

Hey Samuelch,

I didn't know CA Cargo in the raw had any paint on the neck. Can you tell me more details about what was coming off onto your hand?

My Cargo in the raw arrived yesterday from LA Guitars. I love it. The neck near the nutt feels a tiny bit tacky to my thumb and I notice a little bit of gray color on my thumb that is very faint. I don't think it's paint though. Is it possible that the gray in carbon fiber wears off? thus leaves a kinda dirty gray on your hand?

lemme know what your experience was with this.

thanks.
michael s.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:20 AM

Congrats on your new guitar. I'm sure it's very nice. ON a sidenote, I recently picked up a CA Legacy off the forum here. It's due to arrive next Tuesday and I have no idea what to expect tonally speaking. I hope it rings like a bell and has overtones like crazy but I've never had the chance to pick one up and play it so I hope I'm not disappointed in the sound of it.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 09-19-2009, 09:56 AM

I own an OX RAW and there is NO PAINT on the guitar anywhere hence the RAW name which is exactly what it is an environmentally friendly guitar. The factory does however apply a black Turtle wax to the guitar of which the excess can be wiped off with a soft cloth and it vanishes over time. Mine must have been wiped down well because there was hardly any when I received it but my previous one had much more. I just wanted to clear that up for anyone interested.
'09 CA Guitars X
'09 CA Guitars Custom OX
Old 09-19-2009, 02:21 PM

Default CA guitars

Hi Acoustic Rick,

I am very, very pleased with the sound of mine, and believe me I am particular when it comes to buying a guitar that I really like. Hope yours sounds just as good. michael s.
Old 09-19-2009, 02:24 PM

Default CA guitars

Hi Geetarman,

Thanks for the info.. I'm sure that the black wax is what is coming off of my new CA Cargo. I took an old soft cloth and rubbed it down gently and a bit more came off. Love the sound of this guitar and the fact that I can play it in the sun. michael s.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber