The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-26-2017, 01:49 PM

Violent Femmes fall 83. Six of us were almost there (2 hrs) by the time this doofus realized he'd forgotten the tickets.

Yep, honestly I'm still a little bitter.

Also Gratefull Dead... for years and YEARS, I never checked out their music, let alone saw them live. Unbelievably I thought with that name they were going to be like Black Sabbath or something. (... which is SUPER ironic considering a band name like the Violent Femmes didn't really phase me...!)
Old 03-26-2017, 01:50 PM

Beastie Boys😥
Old 03-26-2017, 01:51 PM

Oh, and I did miss Lynyrd Skynyrd with the original three guitars, Ed King, Gary Rossington and Allen Collins as well as Ronnie Van Zandt. We had gone mushroom hunting and no one felt capable of driving from Corvallis to
Portland. Did see them before the crash with Steve Gaines.

TW
Old 03-26-2017, 03:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by semolinapilcher View Post

Also Gratefull Dead... for years and YEARS, I never checked out their music, let alone saw them live. Unbelievably I thought with that name they were going to be like Black Sabbath or something. (... which is SUPER ironic considering a band name like the Violent Femmes didn't really phase me...!)

The name ''Grateful Dead comes from the Francis Child Book of English Folksongs. Bob Weir was looking in the book for songs and he came to the chapter ''Greatful Dead Songs'' which were song by the departed. He found the name for the Band.

I was lucky enough to see them at Giants stadium right before the end. Bob Weir did all the singing but I thought Garcia looked great; not long after, he was dead. It was the best Dead show I' seen. My buddy was in the Dead extended family and we were in the 3rd row in the stadium. Dylan (Garcia's hero) opened the show with a Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid sounding band and a great voice. All the Dead fans were still outside doing what Dead fans do and the stadium was empty

Anyway, the Dead were the easiest band most diverse band of their time. Garcia was a folky banjo player before he was a psychedelic electric guitar player. Then he moved the band to country and finally the became the biggest dance band of their time.

They are still missed.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xray View Post
Pretty staggering to think that what, a full 2/3rd of the crowd had left or was leaving by the time Hendrix took to the stage. I bet alot of those folks have life long regrets about not toughing it out and staying.

Is missing from most Woodstock clips but I saw one uncut version and the angle of the camera on stage was of the side of Hendrix and in the background in the distance you can see streams and streams of people leaving. Cam would alternately focus on them, then Jimi.
Hendrix finished up the song he was playing and started his usual in between songs banter ,, He said something like Oh, I see alot of you cats are leaving.
This caused many in the departing crowd to stop and stand there looking at him.
I think old Jimi felt a little bad about putting them on the spot like that and said Don't worry, we're just sitting here jamming, you're not missing out on a whole lot [words to that effect].
Crowd resumed its march ,, I thought that was pretty classy of Jimi and a good example of his warm heart.

If anyone has a youtube link to this sequence I'd like to see it again, only saw it once and that was years ago.
By the time Hendrix came on around 7 am on Monday morning. Everyone was gone, not leaving. I had left on Saturday before the music started. We got there on Thursday and Thursday was the best day. The only music was by people playing around. We set up camp by the waterfall right on the way to the stage. By Friday when Haven's started the show, man it was crowded. We heard him start up, headed over and (it gets a little hazzy here) it seemed like it was dark before we go to the front of the stage a very short distance from our tents. Saturday morning we found out that we could drive past the stage, down a dirt road, right into town and have a good meal. I had steak dinner for breakfast. By Saturday afternoon my pregnant wife was whiped out. We packed up and went out the same road away from all incoming crowd. We circled around and got on Ft 17 north-west of Bethel, the concert sight. As we drove down, people were camping all over on the sides of the road. They were camping all the way back to Mahwah at the Jersey line. Remember ''the NY Thruway is closed man!''. So for years a lot of people were saying that they were at Woodstock, but they were really more than 50 miles away.

Fast forward 25 years to Woodstock 94. I was finishing up my house in Shandaken, the town next to Woodstock, but that's another story............
Old 03-26-2017, 04:25 PM

Am too young to have had the opportunity to see The Doors, Jimi, Janis etc. I know now I would have loved to see Harry Chapin, who's been mentioned quite a few times in this thread, but I heard him too late, as well as Frank Zappa, who I discovered during his final UK tour. Guy Clark and Michael Hedges are others I regret not hearing about till it was too late. I had tickets to see Widespread Panic in London, but they cancelled the tour. Next thing I hear is Mikey was diagnosed with cancer and they've not been here since.

I still live in (probably vain) hope that I get the chance to see Psychedelic Breakfast (or at least Tim Palmieri with Kung Fu or the Z3), Hot Tuna and above all, Phish.

However, the one I kick myself over is The Grateful Dead, and Jerry in particular. I heard about what was to be their last UK tour in plenty of time, but decided to pass as I'd just started a new job and couldn't face the late night drive back which would be necessary. "I'll catch them on the next tour." I thought. No such luck!
Old 03-26-2017, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
By the time Hendrix came on around 7 am on Monday morning. Everyone was gone, not leaving. I had left on Saturday before the music started. We got there on Thursday and Thursday was the best day. The only music was by people playing around. We set up camp by the waterfall right on the way to the stage. By Friday when Haven's started the show, man it was crowded. We heard him start up, headed over and (it gets a little hazzy here) it seemed like it was dark before we go to the front of the stage a very short distance from our tents. Saturday morning we found out that we could drive past the stage, down a dirt road, right into town and have a good meal. I had steak dinner for breakfast. By Saturday afternoon my pregnant wife was whiped out. We packed up and went out the same road away from all incoming crowd. We circled around and got on Ft 17 north-west of Bethel, the concert sight. As we drove down, people were camping all over on the sides of the road. They were camping all the way back to Mahwah at the Jersey line. Remember ''the NY Thruway is closed man!''. So for years a lot of people were saying that they were at Woodstock, but they were really more than 50 miles away.

Fast forward 25 years to Woodstock 94. I was finishing up my house in Shandaken, the town next to Woodstock, but that's another story............
I'd probably be lying through my teeth and claim being front row if I was of age to have been there. I think I would hate to have been so close and walked away, but with a pregnant wife, perhaps the right move.
A couple things about your account:

Hendrix started that early, 7 am ?
Maybe more than 2/3rd of the crowd was gone or was leaving by the Hendrix finale, but clearly there was 1,000's in attendance right in front of him, as seen on video footage.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:39 PM
Charter Member

7 am wasn't early Monday morning, it was late Sunday night. He was the last one to play in a show that started sometime Sunday afternoon.
Old 03-26-2017, 04:44 PM

Lot of Dead fans, I respect that.
I don't include them in my could have seen but didn't and regret because I never liked them, was into the hard rock/guitar gods like Nugent, Sabbath, Van Halen ect.

Till this very day I can only name 2 Dead songs, Truckin and um ,,hold on - I will survive ?
Don't get upset Dead guys, I have respect. Had a huge, long standing devoted following, you just don't get that being a gimmick.
I admit, I am musically myopic and maybe missing out, I still listen mostly to the things I listened to as a kid - To me, Red Hot Chili Peppers and GNR and "modern" bands, because they were about the last bands to come out that I really liked.

I have evolved slightly though, I remember my dad was a big Beach Boys fan and he played them on the record player constantly in the late 60's early 70's. I couldn't stand them and classified them as sissy girly music - Though I did have to admit to myself that they had great harmonies and catchy tunes.
Love em now, Surfer Girl, Sloop John B. and In My Room are some of my favorite campfire songs to strum in the summer sitting around with family and friends. I can now recognize the musical genius of the Wilsons, that totally blew over my head in my lust for hard guitar rock in my teens.

Quote:
7 am wasn't early Monday morning, it was late Sunday night. He was the last one to play in a show that started sometime Sunday afternoon.
Ok now I am confused.
Below, which was just one of the 1st links I came across in a quick search, it says Hendrix came on at 9am Mon morning, and there was an estimated 200,000 people still there, which is about what I have always heard and thought.

https://www.wpi.edu/news/woodstock
Old 03-26-2017, 04:46 PM
Musical minimalist

New Grass Revival......Flynn, Bush, Cowan, Fleck.

Old 03-26-2017, 05:29 PM
Charter Member

Regarding the Woodstock Festival, at the time the crowd was estimated to be over 300,000 and that included all those people camping 50 miles away. The legend has now grown to a half a million.

In the linked article, the Tinker Street Cinema didn't exist in 1969. It was a church. Hendrix might have rehearsed at the what's now known as the Bearsville Theater. It's a recording studio/concert hall that was owned by Alert Grossman in those days.

Lot's of things can get turned around in the almost 50 years since the festival, especially since everything was kind of hazey back then.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cabarone View Post
Which Riverfront Stadium are you referring to?
Cincinnati Ohio
Old 03-26-2017, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Regarding the Woodstock Festival, at the time the crowd was estimated to be over 300,000 and that included all those people camping 50 miles away. The legend has now grown to a half a million.

In the linked article, the Tinker Street Cinema didn't exist in 1969. It was a church. Hendrix might have rehearsed at the what's now known as the Bearsville Theater. It's a recording studio/concert hall that was owned by Alert Grossman in those days.

Lot's of things can get turned around in the almost 50 years since the festival, especially since everything was kind of hazey back then.
Granted, true.
I do think the start time was 9AM and the immediate area in front of stage was far from deserted though.
Old 03-26-2017, 06:33 PM
Charter Member

I gotta admit I'm with Xray concerning the Dead, I saw them in the late 60's, the New Riders of the Purple Sage (w/Garcia) opened for them. Garcia didn't leave the stage for about 5 hours. I enjoyed the NRPS, I slept through most of the Dead. Boring mediocre music to me. The most interesting thing I saw was the roadies come out with about 10 gallons of kool aid and started handing them to the front row, we were in the third row, as they were passed down the rows, I noticed most people would drop "things" into the kool aid then pass it on. No way in hello was I going to drink the kool aid !
Old 03-26-2017, 06:58 PM

Oh god, would have to have been a brave soul indeed to sipped Dead koolaid [I probably would have chugged it back in the day knowing me]

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion