The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-23-2017, 08:35 PM

Default New addition to the Cordoba Master Series - CE Custom

Did anyone else notice that new guitar in the master series that Cordoba rolled out at NAMM? Fan braced cedar top with EIR back/sides. Cutaway. Electronics on board. 650 x 50mm but not sure if the board is radiused or not. Made in California.

I think it sounds absolutely terrific!

Haven't seen any pricing yet but I'd guess it will be like the rest of the master series, $3500ish.

I can feel the GAS now
Old 01-24-2017, 12:27 AM

The fretboard is not radiused. It has a 50mm nut and a Slim C shape. It's the same neck as the GK Pro, only cedar instead of mahogany.

The online price will be $3,999.

I was all set to get one, as I thought it was the exact Cordoba I want, and the one they've never offered: a solid rosewood body with a cedar top, in a cutaway. Beautiful rosette, too.

I learned, however, that I prefer the thicker U-shaped Espana series neck profile to the slimmer Luthier necks, which is what the CE Custom has...plus that $4K street price tag.

So, instead, I decided to go with a new custom-spec'd Pavan TP-30 cutaway for a bit less than $2K. Specs-wise, it's basically identical to the CE Custom, with three main differences: a traditional thicker neck; no onboard electronics (though they're available); ebony support rod rather than an adjustable truss rod.
Old 01-24-2017, 11:16 AM
Charter Member

Since I've owned nearly everything from the Espana and Luthier series, and vastly prefer the Luthier series... it sounds like this is exactly the high end Cordoba that I'd be looking for. I will be watching these and may end up with one of them down the road.
Old 01-24-2017, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Label View Post
Since I've owned nearly everything from the Espana and Luthier series, and vastly prefer the Luthier series... it sounds like this is exactly the high end Cordoba that I'd be looking for. I will be watching these and may end up with one of them down the road.
If it was priced like an Espana or Luthier model instead of $4K, yep, I'd order one up right now and live with the slimmer neck. $4K is just too much, especially when it can soon be had for $2500 on the used market.
Old 01-25-2017, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VLJ View Post
If it was priced like an Espana or Luthier model instead of $4K, yep, I'd order one up right now and live with the slimmer neck. $4K is just too much, especially when it can soon be had for $2500 on the used market.
Since it's American made in their custom shop, there's no way it can be priced at what the Spanish and Chinese factory made instruments are. And yes... I'll be waiting for a nice used or B-stock example to come along for the right price. For $4K I too would want a small shop (as in a single luthier) built instrument.
Old 03-30-2017, 09:07 AM

Has anyone had a chance to play one of these guitars? I haven't been able to locate one to check out in person. They seem to be very limited in availability.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 03-30-2017, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Since it's American made in their custom shop, there's no way it can be priced at what the Spanish and Chinese factory made instruments are. And yes... I'll be waiting for a nice used or B-stock example to come along for the right price. For $4K I too would want a small shop (as in a single luthier) built instrument.
Although not on topic, I live in Spain and not quite sure why you compare Spanish made models in the same way as the Chinese models.

Also the España series is made by hand.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 03-30-2017, 06:09 PM
Charter Member

I guess I'm just a crusty, grouchy old traditionalist, but I just don't see this fitting into the "Master Series." Which of the revered old masters would have built a cutaway? Much less with electronics? Probably a wonderful guitar, though.
-Bob
Old 03-31-2017, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
I guess I'm just a crusty, grouchy old traditionalist, but I just don't see this fitting into the "Master Series." Which of the revered old masters would have built a cutaway? Much less with electronics? Probably a wonderful guitar, though.
-Bob
When you put it that way, I had to go look. From the Cordoba website:

"Córdoba has chosen to honor five master luthiers whose work has shaped the history of the nylon string guitar over the past 150 years, inspiring generations of guitar builders. Each Master Series model is a replica of an iconic guitar representing significant moments in the careers of Antonio de Torres, Hermann Hauser I, Miguel Rodriguez, Manuel Reyes, and Domingo Esteso."

Nope I can't see it either.

If price is any indication it should be a good guitar though.

hunter
Old 03-31-2017, 07:50 AM

I'm not a traditional classical player and I play a wide variety of music, so the electronics' are plus for me.

My vision is that it could be a very nice almost handmade upgrade from the GK Pro with a Cedar top.

I'd love to get my hands on one to compare it to my GK Pro Negra.

NOTE: Just heard from CS at Cordoba, they expect to have them in stock at some of their major dealers by the end of April. It won't be directly available via the big box stores for a while. Chuck at www.AllStringsNylon.com told me he excited to have some by April 15th.
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop

Last edited by dkstott; 03-31-2017 at 07:56 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:05 PM

Location: New Zealand, South Island, way down toward the bottom!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
Although not on topic, I live in Spain and not quite sure why you compare Spanish made models in the same way as the Chinese models.

I read that as meaning costs are much lower for both Chinese and Spanish manufacture than US manufacture. It's just one of the peculiarities of the US guitar-making scene. I'd guess, though I can't guarantee, that nearly all Spanish "factory-made" guitars are produced in virtually the same manner as the Chinese "factory-made" guitars within a given label. But I'd also call it a workshop instead of a factory. And I think pretty much all of the guitars we're talking about are "handmade", the main difference between these workshop guitars and luthier made being that a single luthier or very select group of them make the high end instruments. The rest still have to be cut and shaped and assembled and set up by hand. The incorrect assumptions about Chinese manufacturing that make guitars produced in China much cheaper and (often) lower status are the same assumptions (appeal to tradition, historical craftsmanship, genetic predisposition to do certain kinds of work) that *should* make Spanish made guitars much more expensive than upstart-y US-made guitars. But for some reason (including and especially higher wages) US made instruments tend to be relatively expensive. VAT/IVA/sales tax/duties play their own part, depending on where you are, but ultimately the final price of a given instrument is hugely dependent on what they think we'll pay. And "we" will typically (apparently) pay more for a US made instrument, all other things being equal. I don't think it's "right" and I do think there are probably people working in the Chinese workshops who are as skilled and brilliant as those working anywhere else. But there are other things like quality control and especially production rate that can have their own specific impact on the manufacturing process and final product. Personally, I'll probably never be able to own a US-made guitar, and that doesn't bother me at all. My Korean and Japanese and Chinese and Spanish instruments are perfect for me.
Old 03-31-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dosland View Post
The incorrect assumptions about Chinese manufacturing that make guitars produced in China much cheaper and (often) lower status are the same assumptions (appeal to tradition, historical craftsmanship, genetic predisposition to do certain kinds of work) that *should* make Spanish made guitars much more expensive than upstart-y US-made guitars.
I've had the pleasure of owning some very nice, upper-tier, luthier-made classical guitars, e.g., Kenny Hill Master Series, Eric Sahlin. I'm astounded at the quality of the Chinese-made Cordoba guitars. I've owned a C9 and a C12 and they were both outstanding instruments. Construction, fit, and finish were on a par to the fancier guitars I owned in the pass.

I wouldn't hesitate one second to buy one of the Cordoba Master Series guitars - I'm serious considering either a Hauser or Torres in the near future.
Old 04-04-2017, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post

Though I haven't played a U.S. made Cordoba Master series guitar (YET), I have to assume that they are superior in fit&finish and construction to the Spanish Cordobas. Obviously, there are some amazing guitars built in Spain (Ramirez comes immediately to mind). But I've owned three Cordoba Espana series guitars (FCWE Reissue, 55FCE Ltd Ziricote, and 55FCE Maple) and SEVEN Chinese Luthier series Cordobas (2 - GK Pro blancas, 2 - GK Pro negras, C12 SP/IN, F12, and GK Studio blanca) and I can tell you that I've MUCH prefered the Chinese instruments to the Spanish ones. The Spanish Cordobas are long gone and not missed. Part of my dislike for them was the chunkier neck profile. But honestly, the Luthier instruments also seemed to have more life in them. I'll chalk part of that up to the fact that the Luthiers have deeper bodies. I was also able to get a lower action on all of the Luthier instruments than I was the Spanish ones. Seriously... after maxing out the truss rod adjustment, and shaving the saddles to their minimum hight, the Espana guitars still had far too high of an action and did not have the flamenco sound or response. Whereas, I was able to do so with all of my Luthiers. So though a guitar being produced in Spain is not a negative... it is for me when we're talking Cordobas. It is doubtful that I'l be purchasing any future Spanish-made Cordobas. Though a few still tempt me at times (45FP and 45 Ltd).

I have No problem espousing the virtues of Chinese made Cordobas because after owning 12-13 Cordobas... the Chinese ones are my favorite. Still... I seek an American one to try and the CE Custom could be it (though I wish it had a spruce top)
Old 04-04-2017, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Though I haven't played a U.S. made Cordoba Master series guitar (YET), I have to assume that they are superior in fit&finish and construction to the Spanish Cordobas. Obviously, there are some amazing guitars built in Spain (Ramirez comes immediately to mind). But I've owned three Cordoba Espana series guitars (FCWE Reissue, 55FCE Ltd Ziricote, and 55FCE Maple) and SEVEN Chinese Luthier series Cordobas (2 - GK Pro blancas, 2 - GK Pro negras, C12 SP/IN, F12, and GK Studio blanca) and I can tell you that I've MUCH prefered the Chinese instruments to the Spanish ones. The Spanish Cordobas are long gone and not missed. Part of my dislike for them was the chunkier neck profile. But honestly, the Luthier instruments also seemed to have more life in them. I'll chalk part of that up to the fact that the Luthiers have deeper bodies. I was also able to get a lower action on all of the Luthier instruments than I was the Spanish ones. Seriously... after maxing out the truss rod adjustment, and shaving the saddles to their minimum hight, the Espana guitars still had far too high of an action and did not have the flamenco sound or response. Whereas, I was able to do so with all of my Luthiers. So though a guitar being produced in Spain is not a negative... it is for me when we're talking Cordobas. It is doubtful that I'l be purchasing any future Spanish-made Cordobas. Though a few still tempt me at times (45FP and 45 Ltd).

I have No problem espousing the virtues of Chinese made Cordobas because after owning 12-13 Cordobas... the Chinese ones are my favorite. Still... I seek an American one to try and the CE Custom could be it (though I wish it had a spruce top)
I thought all Cordobas (except the Master Series) were made in China. How do you tell which ones were made in Spain?
-Bob
Old 04-05-2017, 05:06 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hesson11 View Post
I thought all Cordobas (except the Master Series) were made in China. How do you tell which ones were made in Spain?
-Bob
The FCWE, 55FCE, and 45 FP/FM/Ltd are all members of Cordoba's "Espana" series, which are all made in Spain.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical