The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops

Old 08-27-2014, 11:00 AM

Default Received new Yunzhi -- ridiculous, stupid question:

Pardon the interruption. I got my Yunzhi today. It's very beautiful (I will try to post some pics) and came extremely well packed. Overpacked, if anything -- I think it could have survived a nuclear war and there are now styrofoam chips everywhere.

It's easily the lightest guitar I have ever held. Weighs nothing. Nice big neck that's verrry well sculpted, I have to admit. The nitro smells a little different than the American stuff, but pretty good. Workmanship looks solid but there are signs of slight hurriedness. For example, the finish isn't uniformly polished -- e.g., inside the cutaway isn't very polished at all. And some of the masking off of bindings, etc. looks like it was done a little hastily. Some of the stuff, like the polished ebony pickguard, is simply gorgeous though. And they did a great job on my custom headstock logo. Overall it looks to be a good job. Of course the only thing that matters is the sound, and I'll report back as soon as I've played it.

I am laughing at myself because I have been playing guitars forever and I realize that I have absolutely no idea how to set up a floating bridge. Yunzhi packs the bridge separately. Can anyone give me a basic primer on how to do it? Or do I have to take it to a shop to have it done accurately?

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Last edited by good_hillbilly; 08-27-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 08-27-2014, 11:28 AM

If it were me I would have a competant repairman do it.
Old 08-27-2014, 12:33 PM

There is a youtube video that explains this, or at least how to position it. I'll see if I can find it. Basically it needs to be position so the 12th fret is halfway between the nut and the bridge - positioned so the harmonic and the fretted 12th sound the same. Then, adjust for action as required.
EDIT: actually just do a search on youtube, there are a bunch of them.
Herrmann Weissenborn
Recording King RP-10
Recording King RG-35-SN Lapsteel
Maton 425 12-string
ESP 400 series telecaster
Eastman T485
Deering Americana Banjo
My Youtube
Old 08-27-2014, 12:44 PM

You'll want to make sure it's fitted well to the top.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 08-27-2014, 05:35 PM

Well basically, you put it on, check the intonation, then loosen the strings and move it and try again. As a starting point, you can measure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret, and use that distance from the 12th fret to the bridge.

It's really not hard, doesn't require a lutihier any more than changing strings. You should be able to get it roughly set up in less than an hour.

After you've played it for a while a luthier check up / set can help. As Mr. B said, the curve of the bridge base should match the top, but I suspect Yunzhi at least tried to get that right already. They ship the bridge detached to reduce the risk of shipping damage.

Circle 'Round the Sun
Old 08-28-2014, 12:37 PM

Any update on this?

Just curious.

Old 08-28-2014, 01:53 PM

sometimes you can tell where it was positioned before by looking for tiny dents, small marks, or discolouration in the top. otherwise it needs to be positioned to sound in tune up and down the neck.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:43 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_hillbilly View Post
Pardon the interruption. I got my Yunzhi today. It's very beautiful (I will try to post some pics) and came extremely well packed. Overpacked, if anything -- I think it could have survived a nuclear war and there are now styrofoam chips everywhere.

It's easily the lightest guitar I have ever held. Weighs nothing. Nice big neck that's verrry well sculpted, I have to admit. The nitro smells a little different than the American stuff, but pretty good. Workmanship looks solid but there are signs of slight hurriedness. For example, the finish isn't uniformly polished -- e.g., inside the cutaway isn't very polished at all. And some of the masking off of bindings, etc. looks like it was done a little hastily. Some of the stuff, like the polished ebony pickguard, is simply gorgeous though. And they did a great job on my custom headstock logo. Overall it looks to be a good job. Of course the only thing that matters is the sound, and I'll report back as soon as I've played it.

I am laughing at myself because I have been playing guitars forever and I realize that I have absolutely no idea how to set up a floating bridge. Yunzhi packs the bridge separately. Can anyone give me a basic primer on how to do it? Or do I have to take it to a shop to have it done accurately?
If there are already string notches in the bridge, it has been fitted to a certain extent.

With 'traditional' arch tops, the center line of the bridge often lines up with the 'notch' in the middle of the F hole.

You have absolutely nothing to fear by trying to do it yourself.

First put the bridge in line with those notches, and slowly tighten then E strings, but make sure you've got the strings placed evenly inside the line of the fingerboard.

As you get the strings near pitch, check the intonation at the 12th fret, and move the bridge, as needed, to get close.

As you tighten the strings, the top is going to depress slightly, the tailpiece will flex, etc, and you'll need to be readjusting the tuning, and the bridge height adjusters, etc.

If you were nearby, I'd tell you to come over and we'd get it done in about 20 minutes.....

HE
Old 08-31-2014, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by good_hillbilly View Post

Got it got it got it. I should remember to consult Youtube before asking anyone a quesion about anything! As they say, it's not rocket science ...

- Mountain Whippoorwill (Or, How Hillbilly Jim Won The Great Fiddler's Prize), Nitty Gritty Dirt Band

Last edited by good_hillbilly; 08-31-2014 at 07:21 PM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Archtops