The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 12-21-2010, 03:11 PM

Default Question about Bridge Pin Slots

Hi All - I recently purchased some ebony bridge pins for my Blueridge BR-160 dread. I noticed that the slot in the bridge pin itself ends at the collar of the bridge pin. As such, on the wound strings, the bridge pins sit noticeably higher. The plastic bridge pins I replaced have a slot that passes through the collar of the bridge pin, which allows them to sit flush with the bridge.

Can I do anything with these ebony pins (e.g., file the slot in the pins a little higher)? Or are they a lost cause? Below is a link to a picture of pins that look like the ones I purchased. You can see the slot in the bridge pin stops at the collar.

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-21-2010, 04:40 PM

I've seen on guitars where there is a "ramping" groove from the pin slot toward the bridge. Not sure if it is put there in such a way as to give relief for the wound strings or not. Also, I'm not sure that it sould be done as a matter of course on the guitar you have. Hopefully others will come in on this.
Bob
Old 12-21-2010, 04:54 PM

do the new pins still move when pressed in or are they rocking back and forth on the string at the shoulders of the pins themselves?

if you put the pins in without strings do they seat properly without wiggling? and at an even height with the others?
Old 12-23-2010, 02:32 PM

Sorry I didn't get back to you guys sooner. I have a very sick little boy.

Yes, the pins appear to fit minus the string. It's the collar of the bridge pin that seems to be the problem. Had the slot on the bridge pin been extended a little further past the collar, the fit would be perfect. I posted a link to photos of the pins below if anyone wants to give them a look. The white pin is the plastic that came with the guitar. I put it up for comparison with the ebony pin.

Thanks everyone. - Phil

http://s1117.photobucket.com/albums/...Bridge%20Pins/

Last edited by docsuds; 12-23-2010 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Clarification
Old 12-26-2010, 11:37 AM

You need to forget about the slot in the bridge pins, and create ramped slots in the bridge.

I hope your little boy is getting better btw. I know how worrying that is ...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair