The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 12-30-2009, 06:04 AM
Charter Member

Default Laminate vs Carbon Fiber

If you were to purchase a guitar that you knew would be subject to some extremes of heat, cold, humidity, which would you choose and why, a carbon fiber or a wood laminate? How would the tone compare in each to my traditional Martin?
Thanks,
Charlie
Old 12-30-2009, 06:24 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I really like the Cargo. But the F335 Yamaha's are T A N K S with tone. You can buy many of them for the price of the Cargo.
I have a buddy that does Emergency work in Colorado. He has started playing guitar and is dragging a F335 around in his Jeep. He'll hop on a Helecopter and the guitar will freeze for days. I am just educating him on how Humidity in the teens is bad, get a fish tank at home. We'll see how it survives the year. I did suggest for his situation a C/A would be perfect.
I have played a bunch. They sound very good. I would say between the F335 and a CA, the CA will sound good, not 5X's as good though and no where near the Bass of your Martin
Old 12-30-2009, 06:48 AM

Carbon without a doubt. And I somewhat disagree on the base. If you get a deep body CA I don't think you will disappointed with the bass at all. I just took my CA on a winter road trip to see my son for Christmas. Sometimes in the 20's just left the guitar in the car. Pulled it out cold and play.
Steve
2001 Michael Keller Koa Baby
2014 Godin Inuk
2012 Deering B6 Openback Banjo
2012 Emerald Acoustic Doubleneck
2012 Rainsong JM1000 Black Ice
2009 Wechter Pathmaker 9600 LTD
1982 Yairi D-87 Doubleneck
1987 Ovation Collectors
1993 Ovation Collectors
1967 J-45 Gibson
1974 20th Annivers. Les Paul Custom
Old 12-30-2009, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreedloveRDMH View Post
If you were to purchase a guitar that you knew would be subject to some extremes of heat, cold, humidity, which would you choose and why, a carbon fiber or a wood laminate? How would the tone compare in each to my traditional Martin?
Thanks,
Charlie
Carbon Fiber for sure. When it comes to temperature and humidity extremes there is nothing more reslilient than carbon fiber. As for the sound, no carbon fiber guitar is going to sound like your Martin but I can personally suggest the CA GXi as a guitar that tonally satisfies this Martin lover, especially on the bass end.

AKA 'Screamin' Tooth Parker'

You can listen to Walt's award winning songs with his acoustic band The Porch Pickers @ the Dixie Moon album or rock out electrically with Rock 'n' Roll Reliquary

Bourgeois AT Mahogany D
Gibson Hummingbird
Martin J-15
Voyage Air VAD-04
Martin 000X1AE
Squier Classic Vibe 50s Stratocaster
Squier Classic Vibe Custom Telecaster
PRS SE Standard 24
Old 12-30-2009, 07:07 AM

This is why I went with a carbon fiber guitar. Most laminate guitars have a solid top, bridge, neck, etc. All of those are adversly affected by weather.

And in the worst case, laminates can come apart in humid or wet conditions.

And some laminates, like the Martin's HPL absolutely can come apart--I've heard from a few Martin dealers that they don't like carrying them but are forced to.

So carbon fiber is the way to go for extreme weather. The CA cargo is a jangly sounding guitar if the one I played is representative of the breed. Sounded great actually.

The caguitars.com clips of the GX and GXi are impressive. Good balanced sound with plenty of bass. I purchased the Legacy Raw and found the bass a bit lacking, with a strong mid-range, and actually, a balanced sound as contradictory as that may sound.

JackL
Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 AM

I will take my Rainsongs anywhere, under any condition. They have their own distinct and wonderful tone. I tend to baby wooden guitars - even the "cheap" ones. Don't need to baby the Rainsong, just take care of them.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:08 AM
Guest316

If cost is a consideration, laminate - but i don't know anything laminated that would sound like a cf . . .
Old 12-30-2009, 03:22 PM
Charter Member

I own both a Martin 0001(solid top and back, lam sides) and Rainsong Advanced series. The Martin has a nice warm sound and the Rainsong has a bright piano-like sound. The Rainsong is strong guitar that handles all weather extremes, from humidity to frigid temps. Hope that helps.

BTW, Last time I looked the Rainsongs were selling for like $750 on Amazon.
Old 12-30-2009, 03:34 PM

If I were to choose a guitar where extreme temps and humidity were an issue I'd go with Carbon Fiber without question. Laminate guitars are better at handling humidity and temp issues than a solid wood guitar but still, carbon fiber can't be beat for weather concerns and temperature concerns.
So far as comparing the tone to a Martin or any other quality solid wood guitar goes there is no comparison. Carbon Fiber sounds like, well carbon fiber. It has its own sound and wood has it's own sound. Definately different tone than solid or laminate wood guitars. Not bad mind you just different.

Steel and Wood, "Listen closely and she'll tell you her secrets" RG
Old 12-31-2009, 07:28 AM
Charter Member

Default Great responses

Thanks folks, for the advice, I'll be checking out those CA's
Charlie
Old 12-31-2009, 09:22 AM

Carbon fiber with definately hold up more to temperature/humidity swings over any wood guitar, whether solid or laminate. That said, CF guitars cost a lot of $. Try some out to see if you like them.
Old 12-31-2009, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreedloveRDMH View Post
Thanks,
Charlie
Carbon Fiber! No contest! They sound great and are durable with no humidity issues and stay in tune! The Age Of Carbon Guitars Is Now! I love my two RainSongs AND I'm a Martin Man too!

You can buy a new carbon fiber guitar for $750 to $3000 depending on make, model and finish.

Regards,

SpruceTop
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 12-31-2009, 10:30 AM

There is no comparison. Carbon sounds better and is a hundred times as tough. I've been thinking about my first dread lately but the CA GXi is really calling out to me.

http://www.acousticguitarforum.com/f...d.php?t=172472
Old 12-31-2009, 11:33 AM

I would take the GXi over a laminate any day. The carbon fibers sound more alive than laminates, they are more responsive, and will have almost no neck issues and such. however, if this was meant to be a "beater" guitar, I suppose I could force myself to purchase an all laminate because I cannot see spending a crapload of money on a guitar I would not play very often.
2009 Lanikai LU21
Dunlop shaker egg
Alesis DM10 Pro

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber