The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 09-17-2009, 04:37 AM

well, if you want absolute durability in a travel guitar, check the Brunner composite and ask for the full size model.

The Brunner concept is really nice BTW. Better that the hinge in the Voyage Air IMHO.
I use a full size custom model (redwood/walnut combo) which is not only practical but has become my main axe. And beautiful, too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 09-17-2009, 05:12 PM

I think a Composite Acoustic OX with a folding neck would actually be the perfect travel guitar for me. Maybe Voyage-Air will license their neck hinge to other companies someday.[/QUOTE]

i agree a om composite folding neck i think i will buy another travel guitar.

thank you to all who responded to the post
I ended up getting a cargo raw electronics.
Old 09-17-2009, 06:56 PM

for Cargo - love mine! It actually competes very well in sound with my regular guitars and has survived several motorcycle rides without a hitch! (Of course, I wasn't carrying it when I went down a few weeks ago - my Yamaha (Bike) was totaled! )

2010 Simon Fay German Spruce/ EIR OM
2010 Taylor NS24ce Nylon
2006 Cordoba 55R Nylon
2008 Takamine Nylon Crossover TC135SC
1978 Takamine Nylon C128
2006 Miranda Nylon (My Motorcycle Guitar)
1973 Guild G37 Sitka/Maple
Old 09-17-2009, 10:38 PM
Charter Member

I have a Cargo and I recently spent some time with a Voyage Air. The Cargo sounds and plays great but it's not the equivalent of a quality full sized wood guitar.

I believe the Cargo form factor is a little more airplane overhead friendly and it will be impervious to temperature and humidity changes. And it will probably better handle the abuse of the inevitable jerk who is determined to cram his suitcase into the overhead at all costs regardless of what else is already in there.

All things considered, if you travel a lot, I'd opt for the Cargo.
Old 09-22-2009, 12:28 PM

I finally got a chance to play a Cargo for some time today. I have to admit it sounds remarkable for its size and was much nicer than I thought it would be. I was planning on buying a Voyage Air, but would like to play one first. But, now the Cargo has given a serious case of GAS....

A great woman...
Two really nice guitars...
I am blessed.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:27 PM

I am resurecting this thread because I was in search of the perfect guitar and had posted here a time or 2 on the topic. I have had a CA Cargo, Baby Taylor, Martin LXM and almost bought a Voyage Air. Just couldn't find perfection. I couldn't spend $750 on an Aisan rim guitar... Just me I guess. Anyway, now that I have a job where I am in Europe 1 or 2 times a month I had to be creative. Well, not really.... I just went out an bought another a Cargo in RAW and I have found my perfect travel guitar. I had one of the original ones before with electronics. This one is more "robust" sounding and not as nasal. I leave for Germany tomorrow for my 9th trip over there since May. My first time with a guitar in tow.... and I don't even have to worry about it. Problem solved!
Old 11-06-2009, 09:47 PM

I have a Cargo RT and it is a great travel guitar.

Another one to consider is the Emerald X-5. They are in the same price range as the Cargo and they are a touch smaller but seem to have a comparable sound.
Old 11-07-2009, 01:50 AM

I have a cargo raw and just got back from a cross country trip with 6 flights total... put the cargo in a gator hard case and carried it on all but two puddle jumpers where I gate checked it. Worked out great. I highly recommend them.

now I just need to get th electronics straightened out...
that's me on guitar
Old 11-07-2009, 10:28 PM

I, too, had a Cargo RT w/electronics and recently traded it for a Cargo Raw.

Huge difference in tone, at least to me. Love the Raw!

JC

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber