The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-20-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkPieGuy View Post
If you are any good, people won't remember if you used a music stand or not.
I really like this, and I think it's true.

Went to a street dance over the weekend. It's a city-promoted event with a popular local band with some regional acclaim. The front man used a music stand and binder. The crowd was so busy dancing that nobody gave a second thought to the stand and the binder.

Cheers
Old 09-02-2012, 01:56 PM

I've always had a book filled with covers and originals. It currently holds 400+ tunes. I used to have the contents completely memorized. Now when people ask about the book, I say it used to be full of songs that I'd memorized now it's full of songs I've forgotten. Given my current age and lifestyle (day job, kids) I will forgive myself for needing a memory prompt. I always bring a high stool to sit on and keep the stand to the side and fairly low. I'm usually booked as many shows as I can handle and I like to deliver a focused and energetic show. Most of the time the page is there "just-in-case" but I don't feel bad about having it there. It can be done professionally, without becoming a barrier between you and the audience. When I used to play in a band we never used any stands, but the setlist was more set and strength in numbers always makes it easier. For a solo act with a variable setlist I think it's more likely to be needed (and forgiven).

Mike
Old 09-08-2012, 01:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hansentj View Post
As for the flipping through a binder thing....I do that, pretty much every gig. I have somewhere around 3 gigs a week lasting at least 3 hours. I'm not putting together an organized set list for gigs of that length every time I have one. I tailor what I play according to feel of each gig. If people are listening and paying attention, I play certain songs. If I'm acoustic wallpaper, I play certain songs. If it's quiet I play certain songs. If it's loud I play certain songs. A setlist wouldn't help at all.

I have a songlist hovering around 500 songs and I just can't keep that many changes and lyrics in my head. I admire those who can, but I'm not among their ranks. And frankly, I hope my skill demonstrates my professionalism, not the presence, or lack thereof, of a music stand.
While my song list doesn't have 500 songs, it does have around 250, and I can't remember all of the words, so I have a book that is usually off to my right on a stool or chair, very unobtrusive, in case I do need the first line of a given verse on certain songs.

I personally don't find anything wrong with using a stand, I just don't want to carry one

Last edited by jricc; 09-08-2012 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:55 PM

Last time I saw the Dukes of September they had stands for the horn section and fagan and McDonald had stands. Now using a stand if you wrote the song means what? I use em and really don't care what anybody thinks.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
I used to think music stands were unprofessional and cheating, but there is a guy around here, who I run into at open mics and the like on a regular basis, that always uses one. He is so into his music (both covers and originals), well rehearsed and entertaining that he is usually the biggest hit of the night. It made me realize that whether you use a stand or not doesn't matter to the audiance. If you are entertaining that's all that counts.
Yep, that about nails it for me, the rest is all musicians critique-ing from a slightly over-analytical perpective. I don't think the audience notices the stand if the performer is relaxed, engaging and SOUNDS GOOD
Old 09-10-2012, 10:25 PM

My wife is sort of my gauge for these things, since she knows nothing about playing music, but she loves seeing live music.
Anyway, we saw someone the other day playing guitar and singing with a music stand, and she remarked (unprompted) how unprofessional it looks.

Not sure I would say "unprofessional," but I do agree with her that it creates less of an impression.

And as for the ubiquitous comparisons to classical musicians and the like who use music stands, it's just a silly argument to make. That type of performance, which needs to be precise and which has so many moving parts, is nothing like one guy strumming chords.

That said, if you need the music stand, or if you just feel more comfortable, go for it. But keep in mind that certain laymen, like my wife, may be taking note.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 AM

At a Neil Diamond concert I took my wife to I was sitting about three rows back from the stage right in front of his bassist. I noticed (since I played bass as well) that he was reading sheet music on every song and really seemed to be the anchor for the band. He stopped playing a split second every time he turned a page. The guy has been with Neil for decades and has to know every note by heart surely. I found something highly professional in his approach that made me a firm believer in having the music in front of you.
Old 09-26-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
as usual on the AGF, if you wish to use a music stand, use it. if you don't, don't! no one will think badly if you do or don't.
Well, that's the rub. It would be nice if it were true but some of the "no music stands" folks on this thread have made it clear they actually look down on people who use a stand. Whether that's right or not is a different issue. Someone earlier in the thread related a story of a musician who uses a stand but is so good no one cares. That's what it comes down to IMO.

Personally, I used to use a stand with a binder of music. Now I have my iPad attached to my mic stand. It's less obtrusive but serves the exact same function. If someone wants to judge my music based upon the presence of chord charts and lyrics and not the performance, I see it as their issue...not mine. I don't judge anyone by the type of equipment they have and I would hope for the same treatment from others. Unfortunately, based upon what I've read in this thread, that's not always the case.

http://www.facebook.com/tylerhansenmusic

http://www.youtube.com/user/hansentj
Old 09-30-2012, 01:11 AM

I think that ppl who have an issue with a muso peforming with a music stand, have their own issues.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slewis View Post
I sure don't mean to pick on people who actually need to use them (and if my choice were to use one and gig, or not use one and not be able to gig, well, that's a no-brainer). I think my "issue" here is musicians who use them for nothing more than a stand for a setlist, especially (I've seen it!) leafing through a binder of lyrics after finishing a song while they talk amongst themselves on what song to play next. In my mind, your professionalism factor goes up by about ten if you can avoid using them. I suppose it's more often seen in people who are starting out, and again I have no problem with that when they have to be used. I've just seen too many people use them who seem like they really don't have to, as described above, and if they could avoid it, it sure looks a ton better, IMO, from the audience's perspective! Or maybe it's just me... Thoughts?
I don't like it at all. Extremely bush league. I THINK those people **think** that their 'catalogue' will impress people. And it may well impress the majority.
But other musicians see you as a rookie of the highest order.

For 1: If you need it to remember lyrics/chords then could it be you haven't
practiced enough? In which case, why would you dream of playing it
in public.

For 2: If you don't need it but use it anyway. Which in my opinion is dumber
than #1.
Old 06-24-2016, 12:07 PM

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticologist View Post
i do both cover gigs and original gigs.

for my original shows where i might pepper a couple of covers in, there wont be a stand.

for my cover work, i get booked 2-3 times per week, and have wildly different audiences to cater to. some like the old stuff. some like the new stuff. some like the favourites.

so for these gigs i like to have a stand with a book. theyre normally 3 hours long. i'm usually so busy teaching, gigging or recording - i don't always have time to practice the song enough to remember all the lyrics...

i used to feel bad.... then i saw this..

http://youtu.be/Z7b37l_B4vI

If he can use one - and sell a million records, and the audience doesn't care - well shmeh.. i'll do what i gotta do

I saw it was Brian Adams...and now I would feel even WORSE about using one
Old 06-24-2016, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike o View Post
Wow. This topic always gets folk worked up. Classical musicians almost always play with music stands.
Well you're talking two different animals here.

Classical musician are following notes, hundreds maybe thousands of them a night. They would need either help remembering or a visual place to sync to if they got lost.

I'm objecting to guitar players using a music stand for things like "Come Monday".
Old 06-24-2016, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Grayum View Post
I am a gigging musician, coffee shops, restaurants etc. After reading this thread through a few times it made me curious so I polled about 8 of my friends and family about the subject. When I asked them what they thought about performers using music stands when they were on stage all of them but one said they never even noticed or thought about it. They couldn't tell me one way or another if they had ever seen a performer using one. But guess what, the one person I asked that said he had seen them on stage on several occasions is a guitar player and a gigging musician like me. It just goes to show that most of the general public doesn't notice and doesn't care if the performer they are watching or listening to uses on or not. We musicians are usually a lot more critical of other musicians wether we want to admit it or not.
I can understand 'outsiders' not noticing or minding.
They haven't put the work into practicing to the point where stands aren't required.
If they had, they might come to find that they mind them quite a lot.

Like a bowler who says...I'm going to walk down to 15 feet in front of the pins before I roll, if you don't mind.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockerDuck View Post
I'm 57, sometimes I use a stand and sometimes not. Occasion prevails. I agree with another post that as you get older the memory is not as good. If I'm sitting down, more than likely I'll have a very low stand. When playing in a band, my monitor is my stand. However, technology has found me and my lyrics will be on my Kindle in a special hidden place. That won't look like a stand. Now, let me tell you, I've played over 40 years and in my younger days, in the 70's, the old guys I played with all had stands. So it is common to use stands as a crutch when you get older. It isn't a new thing at all. It is easy to be distracted when older than the bullet focus I had when younger. Heck, its hard to complete a conversation with someone my age that doesn't change subjects a dozen times.
Totally understand and agree - good for you with the Kindle, so some part of you knows the stand is wrong

But I think the age issue is all the MORE reason to fight by not having a stand.
Old 06-24-2016, 01:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdrake View Post
Use a stand, go to jail.

It's the law, people.
YES!! And I will make a citizen's arrest if need be.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write