The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-18-2018, 02:22 AM

Default The way writing a song happens for me

First thing I do is to dream up a piece of music I can get into.
Then the melody begins to fall out. This video shows the process that occurs from the first step, to developing a melody. Rough in places and some stops along the way because I can't remember where I am, LOL, while getting caught up in the melody at times, but you get the idea. Sometimes the changes are different again due to a melody change or thinking too much about the turn from verse to chorus. Oh and then there's a bridge possibly to come later. It may not wind up sounding exactly like this in the end but it will be close enough to tell it's the same tune, Hopefully! Figuring out where the 1 chord is first then where the 4 and 5 chords happen, then the 6th and even the 7th chord.
I hope to show the full progression of this as it happens, all the way to the end result.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:12 AM

Interesting -- there's a good documentary on David Gilmour where both he and his wife (who writes some of his lyrics) talk about a similar process. So you're in good company, not counting the Trappings of Success.

Couch Standards
Old 01-18-2018, 10:51 AM
Charter Member

Very nice, Perry! Sounds like your song could be really pretty! It's got some really good potential there!

- Glenn
Old 01-18-2018, 01:14 PM

Thank you Brent and Glenn. Here's to hoping I can finish it, respectfully.
Old 01-18-2018, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

Sounds good so far Perry. This should be interesting to see develop.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-18-2018, 10:28 PM

Thanks Barry! Yes it should, inspiration is a funny thing and I am so very picky about lyrics. They can be great or just blah. There is a fine, fine line between the two, frankly. Pressure is on me now.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:46 AM
Charter Member

I keep thinking this tune needs an harmonica playing the melody in the intro somehow....

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 01-20-2018, 11:30 PM

Ooh, I'll have to think about that later, Barry. Too much on my plate right now.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
First thing I do is to dream up a piece of music I can get into.
Then the melody begins to fall out. This video shows the process that occurs from the first step, to developing a melody. Rough in places and some stops along the way because I can't remember where I am, LOL, while getting caught up in the melody at times, but you get the idea. Sometimes the changes are different again due to a melody change or thinking too much about the turn from verse to chorus. Oh and then there's a bridge possibly to come later. It may not wind up sounding exactly like this in the end but it will be close enough to tell it's the same tune, Hopefully! Figuring out where the 1 chord is first then where the 4 and 5 chords happen, then the 6th and even the 7th chord.
I hope to show the full progression of this as it happens, all the way to the end result.
this is a really good video that does show the process that many, many song writers use.

there are many approaches, from writing lyrics first and then the music, or in the your case the music first, which I think is most common. the humming over the top is super important for coming up with the vocal hooks and choruses and do help give one an idea of what syllable/kind of words may go over any particular part.

I think you should post this in the "play" section too. Many beginners might benefit from watching the process, it's frankly a process that generally happens under cover and most people do not post a song until it is done,so I think it's an important video in that way and to a certain extent takes courage to post "things in progress"
Old 01-21-2018, 01:10 AM

Thank you Jessupe! I may just do that.
Old 01-21-2018, 12:01 PM

Thanks for sharing, Looburst. It is quite lovely, and I'm looking forward to hearing/seeing more as your song develops.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:22 PM

Thank you Duke! Now comes the harder part for me, what to say and how to say it.
Old 01-21-2018, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Thank you Duke! Now comes the harder part for me, what to say and how to say it.
she ran away like the cats in the rain?
Old 01-21-2018, 04:09 PM

LOL, Yep Jessupe, that's one way to do it.
Well here's some words, not sure if these will stay. It's just never simple!

You're trying to paint a picture thinking in singular brush strokes.
Each following line needs to reflect what the line before it just said and still carry it forward. There's more liberty you can take with lighter songs but "story" songs and "truth" songs, make you stay honest. Any old words are pretty easy, but the right words are a whole other thing.
This part always frustrates the crap out of me because I have such high hopes for my music and melodies.
Old 01-21-2018, 06:53 PM

Quote:
LOL, Yep Jessupe, that's one way to do it.
Well here's some words, not sure if these will stay. It's just never simple!

You're trying to paint a picture thinking in singular brush strokes.
Each following line needs to reflect what the line before it just said and still carry it forward. There's more liberty you can take with lighter songs but "story" songs and "truth" songs, make you stay honest. Any old words are pretty easy, but the right words are a whole other thing.
This part always frustrates the crap out of me because I have such high hopes for my music and melodies.
dude, THAT is the chorus

"she did't like the kind of man I am, she ran away like cats in the rain"

see it's got something for everyone, if you like cats, well, theres cats in there, if you don't like cats you get to think how great it is a cats getting wet

so ya, when it goes triple plat' you just remember where you got it, lol

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell