The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell

Old 01-17-2018, 10:19 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I really enjoyed that, Glenn. A guitar teacher gave me an arrangement of that song about 15 years ago. I remember that I found it a bit daunting as I was just learning how to fingerpick. Your lovely rendition makes me want to dig it out and rediscover that nice melody. Nice playing and nice Santa Cruz. [emoji846]

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-17-2018, 10:43 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaymarsch View Post
I really enjoyed that, Glenn. A guitar teacher gave me an arrangement of that song about 15 years ago. I remember that I found it a bit daunting as I was just learning how to fingerpick. Your lovely rendition makes me want to dig it out and rediscover that nice melody. Nice playing and nice Santa Cruz. [emoji846]

Best,
Jayne
Hi Jayne!

Very nice to hear from you! That Santa Cruz OM/PW does sound good, doesn't it!

If you haven't tried this song for a while, you might give it a shot again now that some time has passed. I think most of us don't realize how much we improve over time if we keep working at this. For a woman, you might want to put the capo up about capo 5, which would make this song sound even sweeter!

I think this chord arrangement is pretty close to what I do: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab..._chords_803554

Thanks for your comments Jayne!

- Glenn
Old 01-17-2018, 10:49 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
Hi Jayne!

Very nice to hear from you! That Santa Cruz OM/PW does sound good, doesn't it!

If you haven't tried this song for a while, you might give it a shot again now that some time has passed. I think most of us don't realize how much we improve over time if we keep working at this. For a woman, you might want to put the capo up about capo 5, which would make this song sound even sweeter!

I think this chord arrangement is pretty close to what I do: https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab..._chords_803554

Thanks for your comments Jayne!

- Glenn

Thanks, Glenn! I’ll give it a try and report back.

Best,
Jayne
Old 01-17-2018, 12:40 PM

Love, love this tune and you did a great job with it!
Old 01-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamasMusic View Post
Love, love this tune and you did a great job with it!
Thanks so very much, Mark! I'm glad you like this, and very much appreciate your comment here!

- Glenn
Old 01-17-2018, 12:55 PM

Wonderful singing and playing!
Old 01-17-2018, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken.han View Post
Wonderful singing and playing!
Thank you Ken!

How nice of you to take the time to listen and comment here! I'm very gratified that you feel that this came out okay!

- Glenn
Old 01-17-2018, 01:42 PM

Another great one, Glenn! As usual, brings back the memories of times past.....that's a nice thing!
Of course way back when, Paul Simon was just......"Paul" and less well known, but still seen by many as the great one he turned out to be. I vividly recall a young woman I knew in college who casually updated me one day that she was heading to NYC to see her friend "Paul". Paul....Paul "who" I asked? Oh, Paul Simon, she replied......she had no idea......at that time he was just a friend of hers. Gotta love it! I was jealous!! Would have been great to meet him back then!
Thanks for sharing this Glenn!!
2014 Doerr Legacy
2013 Bamburg FSC-
2002 Flammang 000 12 fret
2000 McCollum Grand Auditorium

Old 01-17-2018, 01:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandguitar View Post
Another great one, Glenn! As usual, brings back the memories of times past.....that's a nice thing!
Of course way back when, Paul Simon was just......"Paul" and less well known, but still seen by many as the great one he turned out to be. I vividly recall a young woman I knew in college who casually updated me one day that she was heading to NYC to see her friend "Paul". Paul....Paul "who" I asked? Oh, Paul Simon, she replied......she had no idea......at that time he was just a friend of hers. Gotta love it! I was jealous!! Would have been great to meet him back then!
Thanks for sharing this Glenn!!
Thanks for your comments Fred!

Wow, imagine knowing Paul Simon as a friend way back in 1965!

Yes, a song like this does bring back memories -- of the time, of learning the song, of being young once upon a time... and the song itself is fairly poetic, too, which is a plus!

Thanks for listening Fred!! It's always great to get your take on a song like this!

- Glenn
Old 01-17-2018, 09:14 PM
Charter Member

Nice Glenn!

Youtube!

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 01-17-2018, 09:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
Nice Glenn!
Thanks Barry! Glad you are listening!

- Glenn
Old 01-21-2018, 07:02 PM

Great performance Glenn...

Loved the emphatic thumb action!

You keep us in the moment throughout the song.

I didn't know this song so I've no idea what the original sounded like but you really made it come alive.

I was wondering had Simon been reading his TS Eliot...because April, though in spring, is - according to Eliot - "the cruellest" month.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen David View Post
Great performance Glenn...

Loved the emphatic thumb action!

You keep us in the moment throughout the song.

I didn't know this song so I've no idea what the original sounded like but you really made it come alive.

I was wondering had Simon been reading his TS Eliot...because April, though in spring, is - according to Eliot - "the cruellest" month.
Hi Owen,

I wouldn't be at all surprised if Paul Simon was into TS Eliot! Paul Simon in his early years was quite the poet.

This is Paul Simon from his "Songbook" album singing the song as he recorded it when he was in England in his early years before Simon & Garfunkel took off:

This is Art Garfunkel singing April Come She Will very similar to the recording on the "Sounds of Silence" album...

From this source: https://genius.com/Simon-and-garfunk...he-will-lyrics

In Simon’s own words:

"When I was living in England, about three years ago, four years ago, I worked in a club in a town called Swindon. It’s about 100 miles north of London. I spent the night with a friend of mine in a smaller village called Great Coxswell, not that it means anything, no pun intended. We’d stayed up all night and talked and I said to her “Let’s go out in the morning and do it” (Laughs from audience) You too huh?

We went out at dawn and she recited an English nursery rhyme, it was a children’s rhyme and it was about a cuckoo, a bird. It went “April come she will. May she will stay, June she’ll change her tune. July she will fly. August die she must.”

Funny, but I have visited the town of Swindon, myself.

Thanks so much for listening and commenting, Owen!

- Glenn
Old 01-21-2018, 07:53 PM

Well from my listening I would say it was pretty much a dead heat between you and Simon on that interpretation. I don't think Art gets a look-in.

Simon is getting a lot of reverb on his voice at times...not sure if that is helping him or not.

I guess Simon has the advantage in that you feel this is his song...

But then I feel he is (like I criticised Joel on another thread) a bit of a song-crafter... rather than a song writer - could "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" (brilliant though it is!) have been written if it wasn't for the Beatles' Let It Be preceding it?...I doubt it.

I think this is quite complicated like Simon is: (a) being quite derivative in terms of the song's structure (b) using his own real life experiences (hence, in contradiction to (a), adding a bit of authenticity in the feel) and (c) getting a boost from the audio.

On the basis I feel the Simon version is a bit too crafted all round, I think I prefer yours by a narrow margin! It's like that "found art" thing where artists pick stuff of the streets and make of it real art...OK that's a bit extreme but I think you have taken the slightly problematic Simon version and made it more whole.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owen David View Post
Well from my listening I would say it was pretty much a dead heat between you and Simon on that interpretation. I don't think Art gets a look-in.

Simon is getting a lot of reverb on his voice at times...not sure if that is helping him or not.

I guess Simon has the advantage in that you feel this is his song...

But then I feel he is (like I criticised Joel on another thread) a bit of a song-crafter... rather than a song writer - could "Bridge Over Troubled Waters" (brilliant though it is!) have been written if it wasn't for the Beatles' Let It Be preceding it?...I doubt it.

I think this is quite complicated like Simon is: (a) being quite derivative in terms of the song's structure (b) using his own real life experiences (hence, in contradiction to (a), adding a bit of authenticity in the feel) and (c) getting a boost from the audio.

On the basis I feel the Simon version is a bit too crafted all round, I think I prefer yours by a narrow margin! It's like that "found art" thing where artists pick stuff of the streets and make of it real art...OK that's a bit extreme but I think you have taken the slightly problematic Simon version and made it more whole.
Well, I think you are being very generous to me in your opinion of whose version is better. But thank you very much!

Maybe I have the benefit of being quite a bit older now than Paul Simon was when he made that recording (he was probably in his early 20s), and I have lived a lot more of life by this time. Who knows...

When I look back at Paul Simon's accomplishments over a lifetime of music, I see a great deal of success and a tremendous record of creativity. My musical background is really nothing in comparison. Paul Simon probably wasn't as good of a mechanical design engineer as I was.

- Glenn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Show and Tell