The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-03-2009, 09:12 PM

Default What is a short scale guitar?

How does it differ from a regular scale one? Are there less frets? shorter neck? smaller differece b/w frets?
Castillo 3/4th Size Nylon
Epiphone DR-212 Twelve String Guitar
Old 01-03-2009, 09:19 PM

25.5" is usually considered standard scale while 24.9" would be a short scale. Different mfgs could vary but that's a good start.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks4life View Post
How does it differ from a regular scale one? Are there less frets? shorter neck? smaller differece b/w frets?
Varies but most consider it under a 25 inch scale.Slightly less tension on strings and slightly less distance between frets. Same number of frets.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 PM
Eric Skye

The distance between the saddle and nut is 24.75 inches http://www.santacruzguitar.com/acous...etails/oo.html , so the frets are closer together, and the strings slacker compared to a regular scale which is 25.5-ish. Though historically 24.75 was the norm and 25.5 was a long scale guitar...

My main guitars are 25.5, which I like for the slightly increased tension and subsequent volume, and I like the feel... But The short scale has it’s own merits. My Short scale Cruz is my prized possession. It’s so subtle to play... and sweet in tone....
Old 01-03-2009, 09:23 PM

The two most common scale lengths are 25 1/2" and 24 3/4", usually called long and short, respectively so, obviously, there will be a small decrease in the distance between frets in the latter.
There are both longer and shorter scale lengths but the longer are generally reserved for baritone guitars and shorter for travel guitars.
These are generalisations.
Old 01-03-2009, 09:24 PM
Charter Member

Hi y4life...
When you measure the distance between the nut and the saddle, a normal scale guitar usually measures 25.4 inches.

Short scale guitars measure between 24-25'' and the shorter 'scale' makes the strings press more easily, and depending on the builder, the short scale guitars may be a bit softer and sweeter in tone.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-03-2009, 09:31 PM

thx 4 the gr8 answers every1
Castillo 3/4th Size Nylon
Epiphone DR-212 Twelve String Guitar
Old 01-03-2009, 10:36 PM
Humanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanks4life View Post
The answer to your questions are that both the nut-to-saddle distance is shorter, and each of the frets are a bit closer together with a shorter scale length.

The number of frets built into any guitar does not at all specifically relate to scale length.

When measuring scale length for a guitar you have in-hand, one general (and fairly accurate) approach is to measure from right at the front edge of the nut to the middle of the 12th fret. Doubling this number will get you pretty close to the scale length on that specific guitar.

Assuming one wants a guitar tuned to standard pitch, the shortest scale I have seen (for this purpose) is 22.75", which is what the CA Cargo uses. Anything shorter, and a standard EADGBE tuning would be a bit floppy, but this also depends on what gauge string you are using.

So "short" can be as short as this, and even shorter if you consider 6 string instruments such as the Tacoma Papoose a "guitar." The Papoose scale is in the 19.1" range, but you do have to tune up from standard pitch (3 full steps).

Where "short" becomes "standard" is an undefined number. Gibson's old standard scale (and current short scale) is 24.75. Martin's regular scale used to be 24.9" and now this number is considered their "short-scale."

A handful of builders use 25" even as their standard, and some use 25-1/4" as standard.

All of the above are of course shorter than the 25.4" and 25.5" numbers that are what most manufactured guitars get built at, today.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 01-04-2009, 12:28 AM

My happy spot is 25" +/- 1/4", and that's all shorter than the "standard" 25.4 or 25.5. It's all relative, and you know how relatives are!

*everything* is a tone control
Old 01-04-2009, 07:19 AM

I'll repeat what others have said above and add:

As you get older, short scale = more comfortable playing for old joints.

A couple of guitars
A Merida DG16 Classical Guitar
A couple of banjos
A Yueqin
A Mountain Dulcimer that I built
A Hammered Dulcimer that I'm currently building
And a fiddle that I built!

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.
Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Carey View Post
I'll repeat what others have said above and add:

As you get older, short scale = more comfortable playing for old joints.
rats! I'm OLD. Stop reMINDing me!

*everything* is a tone control

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion