The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-04-2009, 08:41 AM
Charter Member

Default Baby Taylor: ACTION TOO HIGH! HELP!

Im about to retring my baby, and I'm always dissapointed. The action is just so high.....I'm kinda dumb when it comes to this stuff....So i have a few questions:

What so the 2 black screws through the fretboard do? Do they just hold the neck to the body?

Why is there a little "wiggle" in the neck with the strings off? The fretboard actually has a little bit of movement in it.. Can I tighten it? Is this normal?

Is there any way to adjust the action? I have the little allen wrench for inside the soundhole....but i dont know which way to turn, and why i'd need to?

Do you have to use light gauge strings? Can I use medium.

Happy New Year and thanks for everyone's help....Thats why I love it here.
Old 01-04-2009, 09:47 AM

The Baby Taylors should use light strings per Taylor's recommendations.

You can find info on adjusting the truss rod if necessary at http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/...adjustment.pdf

Test it using the method listed (hold down a string at the 1st and 14th frets and put a business card at the 6th fret. The string should be just touching the card or very slightly above it. If that is the case, the truss rod doesn't need to be adjusted.

Here's a link to adjusting the action by altering or installing a new saddle http://www.taylorguitars.com/global/pdfs/action.pdf

The two screws are to remove the neck to put in or take out shims to raise or lower the neck from the body.

My BBT doesn't have any wiggle in the neck with the strings off so I suspect there is something not sitting correctly in the neck joint. I'd call Taylor support 1-800-943-6782 8AM - 4PM PST M-F and explain what you are seeing. They can probably help you out fairly quickly.

Hope this helps.
-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45
Old 01-04-2009, 10:33 AM
*mahoganut*

Thanks for the question, pills, and thanks for the great answers JimB! Nothing to add to the original question, but I will mention that I just put a bone saddle on my Baby and it really added some tonal "color" and sustain. Easy to do, low cost ($20), and great instructions from Bob Colosi.

rr

Paragon RW/Macassar Ebony Baritone
Rainsong S OM1100-N2
Woolson LS RW/30s African mahogany LG 12
Baranik LS RW/"tree" mahogany OO
Baranik Blue Spruce/"tree" mahogany OM
Boswell RW/koa OO
Baranik Retreux Parlour Adi/Pumaquiro
Baranik Blue Spruce/Coco Meridian "Geo"
Baranik Blue Spruce/Kingwood OO
Woolson T13 RW/Walnut SIG
Old 01-04-2009, 10:38 AM

I had to have a neck reset done on my Baby due to an extremely high action a couple of years back. Taylor did it no questions asked. It cost me shipping to them only. (about 20 bucks) They also did a low string set up per my request, put a new set of strings on it , and touched up a couple of finish flaws around the rosette. I was very pleased.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion