The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 10-21-2014, 11:20 PM
Charter Member

Default Proximity Effect Experiments

We started discussing proximity effect in Anton's stereo width thread, which got me thinking that I hadn't played around with mic placements in a long time, and had gotten used to micing pretty closely - maybe backing off was worth a try. I tried 4 short recordings, trying to be pretty extreme in my differences - I tried placing the mics 4 inches, 8, 18, and 30 inches away from the guitar. The mics were 20 inches apart on all takes except for the 30 inches away example - where I widened the spacing out to 36 inches.

At 4 inches the proximity effect is pretty clear, and I tried rolling a little low end off that, and boosting some highs, so there's an EQ'd version of that track. The 4 basic tracks don't have any EQ to compensate. I tried to match volumes as best I could, but they're far from perfectly matched, in part because I played a tad differently each time.

The results aren't too surprising, you can hear the increased bass from the proximity effect on the close tracks, and the 30 inch track sounds rather "stringy" comparatively, tho the room sound seems less noticeable than I expected.

Here's the tracks:

https://soundcloud.com/doug-young/se...ty-experiments

I don't know if this is helpful to anyone, but there's nothing like endlessly messing with mic placement to keep you from doing something more useful, practicing, etc!

Last edited by Doug Young; 10-21-2014 at 11:34 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:24 AM

Terrific. Thanks for posting.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment
Old 10-22-2014, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Thanks Doug.

To me the 18" recording sounds best - a little more detailed and fully developed guitar sound than closer up.

Even cardioid mikes vary in proximity response - some are even designed for use in the near field, such as my Gefell M295s. Please post the mikes you used and if available their proximity response graphs. Also where were the mikes pointed at?

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 10-22-2014, 09:02 AM
Charter Member

The mics in this case are Brauner VM1's. Ive not seen a proximity graph for them. They were aimed fowatd, slighty turned inward. Spaced pairs, 20 inches apart, so not really pointed at anything
Old 10-22-2014, 10:36 AM
Charter Member

Great stuff, i think 18" is best too. Its interesting to hear how much more stringy the sound gets 30" out.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:05 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Very nice! I'd probably favor 18" and up in this application because you can really hear the transient material and top shine.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 10-22-2014, 12:19 PM

Thanks, Doug, for this demo. I'm going to go against the grain and say I prefer the 8" distance: a very nice balance between bass and treble and a sense of "immediacy" (including apparent stereo width) that I think gets lost at further distances. I find the 18" distance a bit too "shimmery" (and I'd be thinking of trying different strings to tone it down!). Maybe my preference is because my ears are never that far from my guitar when I play so I just don't hear a guitar that way...

Phil

I play Crosby, Emerald, Larrivée, Lowden, Rainsong & Tacoma guitars.
Check out my Guitar Website. See guitar photos & info at my Guitars page.
Old 10-22-2014, 05:06 PM

thanks for creating and posting these. i found that very interesting and useful. i'm glad you included the eq'd version of the close mic'd recording. btw, the flat close recording is at a lower bit rate than the rest.

i seemed to prefer the 18 inch version. could the proximity effect ever be put to good use, like with a bass-light parlour guitar? just thinking out loud.
Old 10-22-2014, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc1 View Post
thanks for creating and posting these. i found that very interesting and useful. i'm glad you included the eq'd version of the close mic'd recording. btw, the flat close recording is at a lower bit rate than the rest.
Good catch. I recorded these all at 96K. I intended to export them as 44.1 just to not be huge files for uploading. I exported the 4inch track first, and I guess the 44.1 export setting didn't stick, so the rest stayed at 96. I wondered why they took so long to upload!.

Quote:
i seemed to prefer the 18 inch version. could the proximity effect ever be put to good use, like with a bass-light parlour guitar? just thinking out loud.
Sure. People talk about lots of things like this as if they're bad; proximity, phase, impedance, etc, etc. To me, they're all just tone controls of one sort or another. Distance from the source is one of the controls we have in dialing in a sound without having to reach for EQ knobs.

I'm pleasantly surprised that 18 inches sounds ok in my room - nice to know. I still think I prefer a bit closer. Realistically, I'm probably around 10-12 inches with most of my recordings, which I skipped over here. So maybe between the 8 and 18. But it'd depend on the guitar. I have had to adjust the mic placement for different guitars at times,

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD