The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-29-2015, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles Tauber View Post
If you were to finish another instrument, would you repeat the process, starting with Tru Oil and finishing with Poly?
[wrote out a 10 minute reply and it didn't take and was lost sorry for the quick reply]

Good question. Tough one.

It would depends on wood types and usage I guess. I think next time I would pore fill better and just use one or the other. That and not wear a watch while doing any wood work.

Part of the love of tru oil is how versatile it is and forgiving.

This does have a look not like one or the other though and I do like it.

I guess 5 or 10 years down the road when I see how this one is holding up, my answer could change.

I finished an electric last month in poly only and enjoyed every aspect.

Old 07-29-2015, 06:56 PM

Was not happy with the top or headstock finish of the Yamaha. Looked great but made a few changes.

Wet sanded with 800# then 1000# then the abrasive pad to even it all out.

Put the thinnest coat of tru oil and rubbed in until it was smooth to the touch and dry.

All the look of tru oil without the labor of building. Satisfied enough the tape is coming off and the finish work is complete. Its a nice soft gloss even finish on top.

I wont even polish the sides or back, the high sheen and gloss looks perfect.

After I get the bridge re glued and the new pickguard installed ill post finished pics.

[Edit]

Poly is not stuck well to tru oil. The tape used cleaning up the bridge area has pulled some of the clear poly up.

I blame myself for not sanding the top enough despite having the gloss knocked off, was still to smooth for proper adhesion.

Damage is minor and bridge is epoxied on, so I will leave it alone.

Last edited by Outhouse; 07-31-2015 at 10:34 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:55 PM

Finished less adding a new pick guard. Im happy with the result for my first acoustic complete refinish. A black pick guard will be coming soon.

Very happy with action and it plays better then it ever has in decades, and I have never owned it so clean and scratch free.

So, new tusq nut and saddle, leveled and polished frets, new bridge plate, new finish with a combo of tru oil and poly. Disassembled and cleaned tuners with copper brush.

Top and headstock tru oil over and under poly, back and neck poly over tru oil.

Bridge was epoxied on due to missing grain and super glue was used to fix cracks in top when bridge was removed.

Sorry just phone pics, I would like to add this was a thrashed dinged and scratched FG260 12 string when I started that spent years in a truck cab in all conditions.

Old 08-04-2015, 11:46 PM

Funny the discoloration was from a deep gouge from a wayward pick mark that went through the clear coat that was in it, in the mid 70s when I first viewed the guitar years before It was bought for me.

Its smooth now and clean but the stain will stay.

This guitar has quite the backstory.

Martin Munson bought it for me because I showed interest in it and didn't have the money to buy it, he instantly forked the money over and handed me the guitar and said dont worry about its yours.

When his murderer's came to steal his weed and threw a sleeping bag over his back and put 5 12 gage rounds in him, I was lucky they didn't get me to and only my intuition saved me.

They showed up earlier the same day he was murdered a day before Christmas. They gave me a spooky feeling as 3 of them were talking to Martin, I put my 38 on the cab of my truck like I was moving it to get something and nodded in there direction and they turned in the driveway and walked back to their car. They stood there talking for a few minutes and so I put my gun away. A few minutes later I got the weird feeling again and didn't like how they were looking over at me. I put my finger in my jacket like it was my gun and shook my head in a "no" pattern back and forth. They all 3 hopped in the car and left. I left 30 minutes later, last time I ever viewed Martin. They came back after I left and murdered him. They later caught he guys and they were all convicted. Sad people.

So that's why I spent the last month researching here and refinishing this guitar as it will be passed down in the family provided the neck or belly stays in good shape.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:56 AM

Geesh Outhouse that's terrible. The guitar looks good and It's nice for you to have a memento of your friend.
Old 08-05-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redir View Post
Geesh Outhouse that's terrible. The guitar looks good and It's nice for you to have a memento of your friend.
Thanks bud. Im thankful im here and survived my youth.

It was almost 30 years ago, Martin was pretty crazy. He had a story of crawling through manzanita to one of his grows and coming face to face with a mountain lion in the canyons of the sierra Nevada on his belly. He knew if was scared it would eat him so he screamed and charged it on his hands and knees and it took off lol.

On another note. This was the first guitar I ever strummed or even touched. The fact it ended up in my hands was dead luck, because I didn't get until 7 or 8 years later.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair