The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-28-2015, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

Default Taylor strap button vs. Taylor strap thickness

There are several other threads but I wanted to post a quick thank you to whoever commented about this, in passing.

Taylor's tailpin has a very narrow slot. Thickness-wise, not diameter-wise.

Their nice quality Levis (of Canada) made straps are very thick.

Unfortunately the straps don't really fit in the slot and its quite a struggle getting them to fit properly.

I replaced my tailpin on one Taylor and was unhappy with the other because it let loose once already (quick reactions and lucky conditions averted a disaster).

Two days ago, on AGF I read a passing comment about squishing the strap in a vise.

Well, last night I soaked the tip of the strap, thoroughly wetting it.

I clamped it between two stainless washers in a vise and cranked it down very tight.

I let it dry that way for 24 hours. And now my Taylor strap fites my Taylor strap pin perfectly.

I'm very pleased at this clever solution apparently several folks here on AGF shared.

Thank you AGF-ers.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 07-28-2015, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
There are several other threads but I wanted to post a quick thank you to whoever commented about this, in passing.

Taylor's tailpin has a very narrow slot. Thickness-wise, not diameter-wise.

Their nice quality Levis (of Canada) made straps are very thick.

Unfortunately the straps don't really fit in the slot and its quite a struggle getting them to fit properly.

I replaced my tailpin on one Taylor and was unhappy with the other because it let loose once already (quick reactions and lucky conditions averted a disaster).

Two days ago, on AGF I read a passing comment about squishing the strap in a vise.

Well, last night I soaked the tip of the strap, thoroughly wetting it.

I clamped it between two stainless washers in a vise and cranked it down very tight.

I let it dry that way for 24 hours. And now my Taylor strap fites my Taylor strap pin perfectly.

I'm very pleased at this clever solution apparently several folks here on AGF shared.

Thank you AGF-ers.
Interesting! Good post. (Though this one might even be best to share in the General section.) Levis used to make their straps here in Nova Scotia near Antigonish where I went to university to study jazz and music. I don't know if they are still making them there, or if they have joined the race to the bottom and are outsourcing now.

Ned Milburn
NSDCC Master Artisan
Dartmouth, Nova Scotia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair