The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-24-2015, 06:20 PM

Default Mini Dremel Sanding Table

Since I'd always put my attention to the acoustic guitars as far as upgrading the nuts and saddles and overall setup, I decided I'd go through all of my ukuleles finally. Well after the second one, my fingers just hurt way too much from sanding and shaping the nuts and saddles. I know you can get a belt sander these days for $40 but I just wanted something small to use with my Dremel. So I made this little stand and table - mines a Dremel 300-1 - and it works great!! I may even go back and redo so of my earlier work!

Here's the link to the thingiverse where you can print this yourself: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:940761
Old 07-24-2015, 07:53 PM

That is cool. I think I need one of those!

Thanks for posting,
Gary
Old 07-24-2015, 08:13 PM

You know that is a really good idea.

Our workshop is two story, the grinding machines, belt sanders are all upstairs. When doing a nut, we go upstairs pre shape it and then finish sanding by hand downstairs on a big granite block.

As a note, I intend to make that on monday, so we can final tweak little things downstairs,

Really cool, thanks

Steve
Maton Messiah
Taylor 814CE
Old 07-24-2015, 09:22 PM

Oh man guys, I just got through a saddle and a nut - ukulele size from blank guitar size - took me half an hour when normally that would take me multiple hours by hand. And a lot of painful fingers. I kick myself for not making it sooner. Definitely use the grinder. By the time I got the hang of sanding, I used the front circular area 100% of the time. Both to flatten sides and to add curves.

To be clear though, I'm using this to get me real close to the shape. I plan to sand by hand the remaining way. Definitely such a time and finger saver though. I'm gonna go order more blanks LOL.
Old 09-02-2015, 02:55 PM

Nice idea, congrats.

I shape/sand my bone nuts/saddles partly manually, and mostly with the dremel - i supposed this is something you did too - is this stand-table really much more efficient/precise?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair