The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 07-22-2015, 06:49 PM

Default Custom Squier by fender SA-105 VS

Hi.

I got a bit fed up of my other projects (car restorations) so thought I'd venture into something new.

So I thought I'd customise my squier by fender acoustic, to make it a one off. I know your going to think why?
Well the answer to that is because it was a gift and as said above I want it to be a one off custom guitar.
I've not got far with it yet and don't have many plans on what I'm doing but what I've come up with so far I'll share.

Anyway, I had it bought by my girlfriend for Christmas as my previous acoustic broke.
I played it up until recently and thought it started sounding a bit pitchy and "not right" so thought a set up was in order.
So I bought some new strings firstly ernie ball earthwood medium guage, but before I fitted them I conditioned the fretboard and gave the rest of the guitar a polish. I checked the neck for warps etc and it was dead straight, not even a back bow in the neck, so that answered the fretbuzz question. So I fitted a new saddle and bridge pins, they're some sort of plastic like material but they have improved the sound somewhat, they will eventually be replaced with tusq (possibly brass bridge pins as I'm going to install gold grover tuners and strap hooks)
I was going to install this rosewood bridge too but decided against that as a lot of guitars have these as standard and I want it to be custom so instead of installing this I did this it's different but I like it.
Today I installed a fishman presys blend 301 and I'm quite happy with it
to cut out the recess for the preamp I put masking tape generously over the area the preamp was going to be fitted then drilled holes all the way around then used a Stanley knife to cut it out it gave it a pretty clean cut but was a little tight but that's what I wanted, I then used the Stanley knife to trim it bit by bit so it fitted snugly. Then I drilled the hole in the bottom for the endpin jack
then drilled the hole for the undersaddle pup then I had to modify the saddle to compensate for the undersaddle pickup, to do that I just rubbed it on 80 grit sandpaper. I don't have many photos but I'm sure you get the idea! Anyhow it's now installed and works brilliantly
Next thing I'll be doing is sorting out my noel axe (epiphone ej200) I.E full set up, polish etc. Then I'll gradually get this one done, plans are;
Colour change, I'm thinking either a purple burst or union jack on vintage cream/white, with new binding and a rosewood fretboard like this thanks for looking. Comments/oppinions/thoughts/ideas welcome, criticism is not ✌

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair