The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-04-2013, 05:55 AM

Default Guitar search...martin om-21

Originally I was looking at a Taylor 410ce 2011 fall limited as a new acoustic (still considering) Love the tone and feel. Recently I started looking into a martin om-21 and really like the tone and size of this guitar. I play solo acoustic gigs (which are primarily strumming) so I def need an acoustic electric guitar. I know the om is best for fingerstyle but they seem to strum well. Do they make om 21 with a pickup? If so and more importantly for under $2500? Seems like these guitars are hard to find. Also how do they compare to other om models tone wise? Thanks
Old 09-04-2013, 07:23 AM

According to the Martin website electronics are optional on the OM-21, and of course there are many pickups that can be installed after purchase (i personally have Baggs pickups in my guitars). http://www.martinguitar.com/model/item/201-om-21.html a quick google search should give you an idea of prices and you should be able to stay within your budget, ( if you're thinking new don't forget our sponsors, they're a great source of information, prices and service) in terms of comparing sound I always think that's a personal choice. Good luck finding, buying, and getting to know you're new guitar.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:29 AM

OM-21 is an excellent choice and $2500 is plenty of money for that (I assume you are buying new). I would find one that you like in a store and then have an aftermarket pickup installed (like a K&K pure mini) .
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 09-04-2013, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

The OM-21 will work fine and certainly fits your budget. I vote for a K&K or McIntyre passive SBT's. Both work equally well in my guitars!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 09-04-2013, 07:46 AM

The OM21 is a great choice. There are plenty of pick ups to choose from.

Another to look at is the om28 retro. It comes with the fishman aura pu and has some unique feathers. You can ead up on it on the Martin web site. In a pick up test I helped with it was the favorite of all tested. Although all the pick ups tested had good to great results. They are hard to find and may top out of your budget.

Good luck and have fun. If you pick up an OM 21 you will be very happy.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:54 AM

Who said OM's are best for fingerstyle, I would offer 000's have a slight edge there, but both are very versatile guitars.

You should be able to get an OM-21 for under $2K, leaving more than enough for a pickup system. Fishman, Baggs, K&K and others all have popular add on electronics.

There is one problem with acoustic electrics, and I've owned 3 Martin models (DC-Aura, OMC-Aura , GPCPA1), the built in electronics go obsolete rather quickly, and has major re-sale impact. Adding a removable system to a good acoustic is the more practical solution in the long run, unless it really is a stage guitar that will always be plugged in. That justifies the need but doesn't change the financial hit down the road.

How does the OM-21 fair against other Martin OM's, it's a great versatile guitar. The other considerations are all more money (OM-28V, OM-28 Marquis, OM-42) and are more "different" than better.

I have 3 Martin OM's and love the body size, to me they are the Swiss Army Knife of Martin models, they can handle flatpicking and hard strumming and drop to a whisper for fingerstyle, great guitars.

An OM-21 with an add on system will make a great stage guitar, good luck..

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-04-2013, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

They are hard to come by around here too, dealers say they go out the door as soon as they come in. I guess that's a good recommendation... Good Luck
Old 09-04-2013, 08:54 AM

Thanks for the replies! Good point with the resale value, an external pickup might be the way to go (it will be a solo gig guitar primarily). Any suggestions on top 3 external pickups so I can research? It'll be plugged into a bose L1 compact if that matters at all. Thanks in advance!
Old 09-04-2013, 08:55 AM
Charter Member

the OM21 sure is a nice guitar!

looks LA Guitars has three in stock right now...

have fun
Old 09-04-2013, 09:11 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ycK3Rj3QMp8
OM21 vs EOM10 (>1K)

Let your ears to decide!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkpower View Post
OM21 vs EOM10 (>1K)

Let your ears to decide!
Not even close to me.........the Martin.

Rich Macklin Soundclick Website
http://www.youtube.com/rmyaddison

Martin OM-18 Authentic '33 Adirondack/Mahogany
Martin CS OM-28 Alpine/Madagascar
Martin CS 00-42 Adirondack/Madagascar
Martin OM-45TB (2005) Engelmann/Tasmanian Blackwood (#23 of 29)
Old 09-04-2013, 11:00 AM

Thread hijack! The Martin has more soul. You can feel it in your gut.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:24 AM

I had an Anthem SL installed in my Larrivee and love it, very natural tone and just a volume knob. I like it's simplicity and highly recommend it. Combines under saddle pickup with an internal mic.

You'll get lots of suggestions for pickups. I have never tried a K&K, but they seem to get a lot of love here as well.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 09-04-2013, 12:40 PM

TJ, Martin OM's are remarkably versatile instruments, probably the single most versatile body style they make. I've used an OM and a shorter scale 000-42 as my primary stage guitars for years, both of them strung with mediums, both primarily played with a pick.

My own preference is for getting a good pickup mounted internally. Fewer hassles that way, and less clutter at the gigs. Both LR Baggs and K&K make great electronics; I own and use instruments equipped with both.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 09-04-2013, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkpower View Post
OM21 vs EOM10 (>1K)

Let your ears to decide!

Um...why in the world would anyone compare a rosewood guitar to a mahogany guitar as though they're directly equivalent? Not logical to me at all. Apples to apples...should have chosen an E20om Eastman OR a mahogany b/s Martin. At least it would have made more sense.

Dirk

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion