The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-02-2014, 09:15 PM

Default Best beginner guitar?

Sorry if this has been asked before. Just got into acoustic guitar about four months ago and really enjoying it. Would love to try electric as well (not electric acoustic but all electric) and wondering if there are recommendations out there for a good beginner instrument, or what to look out for in a less expensive instrument. Trying to keep cost under about $250 if at all possible, but would love to hear everyone's feedback.

Thanks!
Old 11-02-2014, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverland View Post
Sorry if this has been asked before. Just got into acoustic guitar about four months ago and really enjoying it. Would love to try electric as well (not electric acoustic but all electric) and wondering if there are recommendations out there for a good beginner instrument, or what to look out for in a less expensive instrument. Trying to keep cost under about $250 if at all possible, but would love to hear everyone's feedback.

Thanks!
Yeah, it's probably been asked before, but no worries.

I've always liked the simplicity of the Fender line, and I think Squires are a decent place to begin.

This package gives you everything to make noise. Spend $35 getting it set up at your local shop, and you're good to go. Better yet, support your local shop -- maybe they can put together a good package deal for you at the same price, even if it's slightly used gear. Just don't let anyone tell you that you must upgrade pickups right away, etc. Just play.

(You can get the dirtier humbucker sound from an Epiphone package at the same price, if that's what you want.)
Old 11-02-2014, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK View Post
Yeah, it's probably been asked before, but no worries.

I've always liked the simplicity of the Fender line, and I think Squires are a decent place to begin.

This package gives you everything to make noise. Spend $35 getting it set up at your local shop, and you're good to go. Better yet, support your local shop -- maybe they can put together a good package deal for you at the same price, even if it's slightly used gear. Just don't let anyone tell you that you must upgrade pickups right away, etc. Just play.

(You can get the dirtier humbucker sound from an Epiphone package at the same price, if that's what you want.)
Agree, but check local Craigslist for a few days, you can get more used. A decent Squier strat and a better amp than what comes with the "packs" could be had that way. I would also not worry about setup at first, and if you feel you need to it's quite easy to learn to adjust the neck, string height, and intonation via You tube and Google. It's a cheap guitar, do it yourself instead of paying someone a third of what you paid for the guitar for a set-up.

First, though, I'd say just play.
Old 11-02-2014, 11:08 PM

If you go Epiphone, I'd avoid the Les Paul Special II. I had a new one cross my repair bench a coupme of months ago, and it had several problems. Most I could fix, but the pickups were not even centered on the strings. The bridge was really subpar, with two loose saddles that rattled around audibly too. Even the tuners felt like they were really bargain basement and sloppy. My wife, however, had one we bought about six years ago, and it shared a lot more in hardware and quality with the Standards. The next step up in price gets you a better built guitar with better hardware.

The Fender Squiers I've looked over have been pretty solid values and fairly solidly built.

Nothing wrong with used, definitely. Especially if the previous owner already had it set up.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 11-03-2014, 10:48 AM

Hi River, a belated Welcome to the AGF.

A couple of questions:
  1. Is an amp included in your $250 budget?
  2. What kind of music do you like? That may help determine whether you want single coils or humbuckers.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
[*] Is an amp included in your $250 budget?[/LIST]
This is certainly part of the question/situation that should be addressed before I can provide feedback as well. If you have an amp, I think an MIM Strat or Tele is a great beginning guitar, and you can usually find one used in the $200-250 range if you peruse Craigslist often. GC will have them used at $300 99% of the time.

But if you also need an amp, I recommend the Fender 25R. It's a small solid state with a few effects, and you can probably find one used around $75 bucks, if not less by being really patient. That would still leave you some cash for a used Squier.

Of course, I think you can tell by now that I am partial to Fenders... That being said, there are a good number of decent electrics out there in that price range. I had a Peavey Firenza with P-90s that I got for $200 that was a great guitar. The neck was true, the pickups were hot. I miss that guitar sometimes. Used Schecters might also do the trick, and some of the Epiphones, as previously stated, can be good guitars in that range.

Good luck with your search! Please let us know what you decide to do.

Martin 000-15M, Cordoba Fusion 14 RS, Alvarez AD60CE, Ibanez M510 Mandolin, Fishman Loudbox Mini, Fender Hwy 1 Tele, Fender MIM Strat w/ Custom 54 pups, American Fender Pro Jr
Old 11-03-2014, 01:04 PM

There are all kinds of beginner guitars out there, just make sure it plays in tune and the action is good and you are good to go.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:41 PM

Thanks for all the replies. Growing up I always loved the sound of Gibson's Les Paul (I described it as roaring) but not having any experience, I'm not sure what I'd be missing going with one type of pickup over another.

My budget is including an amp (don't have that either). What do you all think of this -- is it a good deal/amp?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/fender-elect...p2054897.l4275
Old 11-04-2014, 08:52 AM

The guitar almost doesn't matter. Your tastes will change and there are too many variables to decide the first time. There are really just 2 requirements (and a few options).

1. You like the way it looks
2. It intonates, plays, and stays in tune.

Optional:

a. It holds its value so you can offload it when you make up your mind later
b. It is versatile for exploring a lot of different genres.

Through a cheap amp, all guitars sound the same. You should look for a nicer amp, and worry less about the guitar.

You can sound good at home for that price range... just look around. We have a local brand here ("Guitar Works") that can be had very cheap on the used market, but is very playable. That paired with a decent amp is a lot of fun.

On my craigslist I see a Mustang II for $150, and a "Guitar Works" strat (local brand, but very playable) for $60. For $210, you can do some serious rocking... and then resell for minimal loss when you upgrade. If you never plan to play out, you can get a used mustang I for 45... now you're looking at $95 for a very versatile setup. Now you can satisfy the electric urge, and save some $$ while discovering what you really want to buy later

(Some people claim to gig with a Mustang II - my son uses a Guitar Works strat with a Mustang III)

Edit: This won't give you an iconic les paul sound, just my example

Last edited by Pualee; 11-04-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 09:04 AM

Be careful of the low budge Epiphones if you go for an LP clone - Epi quality is really hit-or-miss these days.
Check out the deals at guitarfetish.com - these Chinese knockoffs can be surprisingly good, but a good set-up is usually needed on new ones. You rarely see these used anywhere, because people keep them!

The 'package' deals for beginners usually are not very good deals at all, so you'll probalby do better picking up an amp and guitar separately.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-04-2014, 09:49 AM

Based on your stated wants, Hadean makes nice quality instruments. Here's a Les Paul copy with an arched top and nicely figured wood, along with humbucking pickups for $130 bucks:

http://www.rondomusic.com/eg532lrd.html

Add to that a Fender Frontman 25R, about the most amp you'll find in the $25 buck price range:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/fender-2...90-i1479747.gc

Don't forget the cable:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Live-Wir...31-i1128377.gc

...and a gig bag:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone...34-i1173437.gc

Old 11-04-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverland View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Growing up I always loved the sound of Gibson's Les Paul (I described it as roaring) but not having any experience, I'm not sure what I'd be missing going with one type of pickup over another.

My budget is including an amp (don't have that either). What do you all think of this -- is it a good deal/amp?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/fender-elect...p2054897.l4275
At that price, I'd go with a new:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Acoustic...93-i2158504.gc

Old 11-04-2014, 12:47 PM

Default If you'd rather go new....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/guita...ic-guitar-pack
Old 11-11-2014, 01:18 PM

The Yamaha pack seems like a pretty good deal. Anyone else have any experience with these?
Old 11-11-2014, 08:32 PM

Best beginner guitar is a good guitar.
Best way to assure a beginner does not learn is get him/her a crumby guitar.
I bought a neighbor..kid..a $300 guitar which was the best guitar I could find,new for the money..no case included.
And I dont think such a guitar is really good enough.
Probably the best guitar for the least money is an electric Fender Stratocaster American Standard..used. If I could not afford that Id look for a beat up one that
can be had for less that has a perfect neck..looks dont matter.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
beginner, electric