The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-21-2014, 11:33 AM

Default help me decide please

debating among a reverend buckshot or charger 290, or. a G&L tribute asat bluesboy (solid or semihollow) or tribute asat classic for 64-72ish rock and a little blues. no local reverands to try & limited at best G &Ls. All thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:36 PM

I have a tribute asat classic. Very good for what your looking for. It's got guts ..
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
all sorts of guitar picks, capos and bits n' bobs.
Old 11-21-2014, 03:57 PM

I would go for the G&L, but the Reverend is a very nice guitar as well.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:15 PM

I haven't heard too much about the Reverend but I've heard great things about G&L and their ASATs are very nice guitars.

Is there a reason you're not including Fender in your search?
Old 11-21-2014, 07:16 PM
Charter Member

Both are quality guitars. Do you have a strong opinion on nut width? I loved everything about the G&L I had except for the 1 5/8" nut, which was just too narrow. The Reverend charger (possibly the other one too, but I didn't check) has a 1 11/16" nut width, which will give you just a little bit more room. I found that I like 1 3/4" nut width on my electrics as I do my acoustics. Options are fewer there, but they can be found.
Old 11-21-2014, 10:17 PM

Would prefer a wider width but my ibanez also is narrow and am used to it. Giving fender consideration as well but it seems as if you get more value with the "lesser"brands. Lots of online reviews seem to give consistently good reviews to reverend & g&l with some mixed for recent fender qc on the less expensive models,although not enuff to base a decision on. I sorta like the notion of not having what everyone else has too. Did have the opportunity tis evening to play unplugged g&l l usa blues boy semi &'was impressed .
Old 11-22-2014, 08:39 AM

I have owned two ASAT Classics, one solid and the other semi-hollow, and both were terrific guitars. I have sort of lusted for a Bluesboy for a while now, so I think that would be a great choice. On the other hand Reverends just might be better designed and made. Their "Bass Contour" circuitry is a great feature as is their dual action truss rod. If you had narrowed your choice down to the Bluesboy or the Charger 290, I'd pick the Reverend - but then, I love P-90 pickups.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:53 AM

Are you referring to the usa or tribute series or both when comparing the g $ l's to reverend build quality as being better? I ask because of the price differentials among the three. I prefer to stay under 1k but long term quality is important to me.
Old 11-22-2014, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Prior to coming to Corvallis, I had no "hands-on" experience with the Reverend guitars/ Since living here, my favorite local shop, Bullfrog Music, is a dealer for them and I've played quite a few...

I have been mightily impressed by every Reverend I have played; they seem to do a bit more than just copying classic designs. All the tweaks and improvements are just that; improvements and useful additions...

Of all the ones I have played, I truly have an affinity for the Buckshot models... now, I have two really sweet older Gibson electric guitars, and I'm not playing in a group where I even use them that much, BUT...

If I were in the market for a new electric guitar, I would seriously look at either the Buckshot or the Sensei models of the Reverend line... fit and finish are stellar, and they are just really good electric guitars for the dough...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-22-2014, 01:40 PM

just returned from being able to play a couple of the asat tributes. very nice & for my taste better overall than comparable fenders. might have walked out with the blues boy semi hollow but for price being way ivar the listed prices online & no owner in the store to talk about it. wish there was a reverend dealer close by to try out & then decide.
Old 11-25-2014, 02:48 AM

G&L tribute asat bluesboy (solid or semihollow)!!

This one is awesome! i like it so much!
Old 11-25-2014, 01:19 PM

thanks all for input. have a great Thanksgiving.
Old 11-25-2014, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekisai29 View Post
Are you referring to the usa or tribute series or both when comparing the g $ l's to reverend build quality as being better? I ask because of the price differentials among the three. I prefer to stay under 1k but long term quality is important to me.
I was talking about G&L Tributes. They are very nice guitars for the money, you won't be disappointed, but I would still go with the Charger 290 in this case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gekisai29 View Post
thanks all for input. have a great Thanksgiving.
Not so fast there, buddy! What did you decide?
Old 11-26-2014, 08:54 AM

embarrassed to say i'm still on the fence. idid get to try a used double agent at GC last nite & much to my surprise it didn't move me at all so leaning to the tribute. sitting home in a snow storm so will mull it over some more. i know iknow should just decide but this is me
Old 11-29-2014, 09:18 PM

There is one in the classifieds as we speak. G&l asat deluxe tribute but it is pending.
Fender RW Flea Jazz
Squier Sonic Pbass
Acoustic 30 watt Bass Amp
Ampeg 20watt bass amp
all sorts of guitar picks, capos and bits n' bobs.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars