The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-15-2014, 08:37 PM

I got Ric fever bad! 381, two 360/12, 360 and a 330.
Old 11-15-2014, 09:02 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
I got Ric fever bad! 381, two 360/12, 360 and a 330.
You lucky man
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 12-11-2014, 07:13 PM

Just curious, what are the differences between a regular 370/12 and a RM signature model? Thanks........Jack.
Old 12-13-2014, 06:03 PM

I miss having a 360 in the stable. I used my last one as trading material, to get my 1954 Country Club back in 2013. I'd love to get another one, but I just can't afford it at this time. Besides, with my nickel allergy forcing me to get my guitars re-fretted with nickel free (and stainless steel free for that matter, since I'm also allergic to chromium) frets, I'd have to also get it re-fretted. From what I've been told, Rics are even more of hassle to get refretted, than a maple fingerboard Tele, since they have an even heavier clear coat finish on the fingerboard (the fingerboard clear coat finish needs to be busted off around the frets, to get at them for removal)! Ugh!

My last 360
Old 12-13-2014, 07:27 PM

I don't know for sure but I have read that RIC is using stainless steel frets these days.
Old 12-13-2014, 07:30 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Ohhhh... that 650D is one elegant looking Ricky...
Old 12-13-2014, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
I don't know for sure but I have read that RIC is using stainless steel frets these days.
Not that I've heard, Jeff. Anything that deviates from tradition for Rickenbacker is treated with extreme resistance by most of their customer base, which means that they are a bit stuck. They can't modernize and innovate when the vast majority of their output is spoken for by buyers who want one just exactly the way they used to be - and their order books are full for the next two years or more.

Ellen - if you can find a 650D, the refret would be very straightforward. It has an unfinished maple fretboard. Unfortunately, it's a discontinued model - and mine is not for sale

Cordoba Stage

Old 12-13-2014, 08:10 PM

You are probably right, it is just something that I read recently (and of course, everything is true and correct on the interwebz).

As to your 650D, everything is for sale, Ellen just can't come up with that kind of money. Everybody, including me, was certain I would never sell my old 4005WB.........................
Old 12-13-2014, 09:22 PM
Charter Member

Having to sell a 4005 must have been really difficult, Jeff. That model, along with the 360F, are, to my eyes, the most beautiful Rickenbackers ever.
Cordoba Stage

Old 12-14-2014, 09:29 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
how is it that so many people USED to have a ric? what does that say??!!
We have been through a couple of style periods where Rics were the dominant electric guitar. Gear brands come and go in popularity and many with GAS shed and add gear in response. Ric is no exception and it isn't in a dominant swing right now. That's about all there is too it.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 12-14-2014, 09:36 AM
Charter Member

I think Bob is correct. The Ric was one of my last to arrive. My daughter is really in love with it. She want's one and I don't see them disappearing from the radar any time soon. They are as cool as they look. -- Darwin
Old 12-14-2014, 10:36 AM

Stainless steel frets still might be a no-no for me. I also have an allergy to chromium, which is a major component iof stainless steel. My immune system can tolerate some forms of stainless steel (probably those with lower levels of chromium in them), but not all forms. I'd hate to find out the hard way, that the stainless steel in Ric frets, is one of the varieties I can't tolerate.

Jeff - the 650D looks cool, but ah luvs muh hollow and semi-hollow guitars (they look cool, and when you crank the gain up, they sound oh so throaty IMO). I think it's possible that the new walnut bodied 360W and 330W have the same type of "no finish" finger board as your 650D. I tried out a 360W about 10 months ago, and it sure felt that way. Sadly, I couldn't afford it.

360W

330W
Old 12-14-2014, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Here's a recent article describing the Rickenbacker manufacturing process, with some interesting commentary from John Hall.

http://www.guitar-bass.net/features/...ckenbacker-hq/

Btw, Ellen - the 650D is mine
Cordoba Stage

Old 12-14-2014, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Here's a recent article describing the Rickenbacker manufacturing process, with some interesting commentary from John Hall.

http://www.guitar-bass.net/features/...ckenbacker-hq/

Btw, Ellen - the 650D is mine
Oops! My bad! Sorry!
Old 12-14-2014, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
Not that I've heard, Jeff. Anything that deviates from tradition for Rickenbacker is treated with extreme resistance by most of their customer base, which means that they are a bit stuck. They can't modernize and innovate when the vast majority of their output is spoken for by buyers who want one just exactly the way they used to be - and their order books are full for the next two years or more.
This is interesting because the one area in which Rickenbacker has changed is in their pickups. Since about the mid-70s or so Rick has followed the trend to higher-output pickups, meaning that that bright, jangly sound one identifies with the early Beatles records or the Byrds was no longer available on their guitars... unless you were extremely gifted and wanted to unwind a lot of wire off the pickups.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars