The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 01-23-2014, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveh View Post
Same here; care to spill some beans?

Cheers,
Steve
Hiro used to apprentice for Kenji Sugita in Japan... He moved to the US to apprentice for E. Somogyi. He is the senior apprentice there now and I believe is in his last year. Gustav recommended him to me... I also exchanged mails and considered Chris Morimoto but in the end I took a leap of faith w Hiro.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by usb_chord View Post
Wow, Fsgeek. WOW. I really wish you would post more often. That guitar is astonishingly beautiful. I've never even heard of this builder...
Thanks Brian... BTW I love your Hana video w the Sheppard...

Lets not get lost and go back to all things Kostal

Last edited by Fsgeek; 01-23-2014 at 08:37 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:51 AM

Three Mod-D's and one OM indeed. This is going to be fun!
Luthier Stories
YouTube
iTunes
Instagram

Guitars by Jason Kostal, Strings by Elixir, Gefell Mics and a nail buffer.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:35 PM

Hello, Ron! What a great story! Yes, Jason is definitely not only a master craftsman, but one of the nicest and most upstanding folks you'll ever meet. It's clear that Ervin must have these character qualities as "required" when he decides to take on an apprentice, for I find Ray to be very much the same.

I picked up my Kostal MD at this past year's Healdsburg. Justin was kind enough to have brought his MD for showcasing in addition to mine and BellaD4's. Justin and I had an opportunity to play our MDs across from one another in the courtyard. I'm not anywhere near the player that Justin is, but it was fun to hear the two MDs. As you already know, it's a marvelous guitar.

But, as you noted, the "heart" of your story is about the "heart" of Jason, and I truly believe that anyone who meets him will connect with your experience immediately. I'm fortunate to also be one who calls him "friend."

Enjoy your MD!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Watts View Post
Three Mod-D's and one OM indeed. This is going to be fun!
Wish you had been able to make it to this past year's Healdsburg Guitar Festival. We could have had 4 MDs -- Justin's, yours, BellaD4's and mine! I'm sure it will be a great time when y'all get together when Jason delivers Steve's OM! Fun times with good friends and marvelous guitars!
Old 01-23-2014, 01:53 PM

Hello, Ron! What a great story! Yes, Jason is definitely not only a master craftsman, but one of the nicest and most upstanding folks you'll ever meet. It's clear that Ervin must have these character qualities as "required" when he decides to take on an apprentice, for I find Ray to be very much the same.

I picked up my Kostal MD at this past year's Healdsburg. Justin was kind enough to have brought his MD for showcasing in addition to mine and BellaD4's. Justin and I had an opportunity to play our MDs across from one another in the courtyard. I'm not anywhere near the player that Justin is, but it was fun to hear the two MDs. As you already know, it's a marvelous guitar.

But, as you noted, the "heart" of your story is about the "heart" of Jason, and I truly believe that anyone who meets him will connect with your experience immediately. I'm fortunate to also be one who calls him "friend."

Hi Billy Boy,

First off Thank You for taking the time to read my long post. You are right in saying ""heart" of your story is about the "heart" of Jason, and I truly believe that anyone who meets him will connect with your experience immediately.
No truer words have been spoken. Jason is exceptional person as well as an exceptional Luthier. If the world only had a lot more Jason's. I am fortunate because Jason Kostal reminds me so much of my only son Jason who has turned out to be a 29 year old computer wizard. He was just promoted yesterday to the position of manager over the corporate computer systems and databases of one of the largest healthcare/hospital systems here in Florida. Both Jason's are rising super stars in their own right.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:57 PM

Hi Billy Boy,

First off Thank You for taking the time to read my long post. You are right in saying ""heart" of your story is about the "heart" of Jason, and I truly believe that anyone who meets him will connect with your experience immediately.
No truer words have been spoken. Jason is exceptional person as well as an exceptional Luthier. If the world only had a lot more Jason's. I am fortunate because Jason Kostal reminds me so much of my only son Jason who has turned out to be a 29 year old computer wizard. He was just promoted yesterday to the position of manager over the corporate computer systems and databases of one of the largest healthcare/hospital systems here in Florida. Both Jason's are rising super stars in their own right.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:23 AM

Wolfram Slides
I have the utmost respect for Jason as a builder, a person and a player (often overlooked - he is seriously talented).

I'm going to be lucky enough to be in a room with friends and the man himself, as well as two of his MDs and an OM, in February - to say I'm excited about this would be a massive understatement!

Hi Wolfram,

Thanks for reading my long post. I'm sure you will have a great time with Jason in February. He has a great sense of humor and a very contagious laugh.
He reminds me of my best friend of 30 years, who is just a lot of fun to be with. He is quick witted and will always keep you laughing.
Old 01-26-2014, 04:49 AM

Thin Crust

I had the pleasure of playing Eric Song's Kostal Modified D recently. Congratulations you lucky dog......

Hi Thin Crust,

Thanks for taking the time to read my long post. I'm glad you had the chance to play Eric Song's Jason Kostal MD. At least you had the oppurtunity to experience the Kostal magic. Since I now own a Jason Kostal MD I guess I would have to agree with you I am a lucky dog. Take Care!!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop