The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-14-2013, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murphy Slaw View Post
I have to wonder if there was some bad blood, though.

I mean, Martin and Fender would be THE enemy as far as business goes when it comes to Gibson.

Maybe it's just me.

I've changed jobs before. Usually for more money and better benefits, sometimes to travel less, sometimes both
Old 02-01-2013, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I think Ferguson was the guy that put Bill Monroe's F5 mandolin back together after a vandal went at it with a fire poker. It was an amazing job.
I haven't read the entire thread. Perhaps someone has already corrected you on this, don't know.

In fact, the late Charlie Derrington, is the fellow responsible for resurrecting Bill's mando. We miss Charlie dearly.

Here: http://www.mandolincafe.com/glossary/glossary_82.shtml
Old 07-20-2014, 07:36 PM
AGF Sponsor

Does anybody happen to know who is now heading up manufacturying in Gibson's Bozeman plant since Ren Ferguson moved on?

BTW, I imagine most people here already know this, but Fender is opening a new Guild factory in Oxnard, CA, and Ren has been hired to be in charge of manufacturing.
Old 07-20-2014, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
Does anybody happen to know who is now heading up manufacturying in Gibson's Bozeman plant since Ren Ferguson moved on?

BTW, I imagine most people here already know this, but Fender is opening a new Guild factory in Oxnard, CA, and Ren has been hired to be in charge of manufacturing.
Fender is not opening a new Guild factory in Oxnard. Fender has sold Guild to Cordoba guitars in Oxnard and Ren will be there for the initial set-up only. Everyone is hoping this will be a good move for Guild.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 07-20-2014, 08:14 PM
AGF Sponsor

Bruce, yep, I stand corrected. After my post I found a press release online confirming that Cordoba has acquired Guild from Fender. They will be opening a manufacturing plant in Oxnard under Ren's management.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:49 PM
Charter Member

Great story about the Bozeman factory here

I don't know much about the situation but my "gut feel" tells me that this bodes ill for Gibson. If Ren can work that magic again, Fender might be able to salvage that perpetually sinking ship of their acoustic business. But, I would hope they put Ren to work on Guild. Maybe the two things are intentional.

I think Fender would be so smart to stop making Fender acoustics, point Ren at Guild's new facility and let the magic happen.

000-15 / GC7 / GA3-12 / SB2-C / SB2-Cp / AVC-11MHx / AC-240
Old 07-20-2014, 08:58 PM
AGF Sponsor

Fazool, wow great story and pics. Thanks for the link.

FYI, Fender has officially sold Guild to Cordoba, and Cordoba is opening a manufacturing facility in Oxnard, CA. Ren will run the place. Ren is not working for Fender, but Cordoba.
Old 07-20-2014, 09:05 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmedlife417 View Post
Fazool, wow great story and pics. Thanks for the link.

FYI, Fender has officially sold Guild to Cordoba, and Cordoba is opening a manufacturing facility in Oxnard, CA. Ren will run the place. Ren is not working for Fender, but Cordoba.
Really?!?

Wow....I don't know anything about Cordoba (aren't they primarily a nylon string classical guitar builder?). I think that is a great idea.

but I wonder why they moved Guild if they were just going to sell it anyway, unless the Cordoba deal was already in the works. Most buyers would want the Westerly plant I would imagine.

Old 07-20-2014, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

Wow....I did some Googling.....Ren and Cordoba resuscitating Guild! Sounds very (very) promising.

Old 07-20-2014, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Really?!?

Wow....I don't know anything about Cordoba (aren't they primarily a nylon string classical guitar builder?). I think that is a great idea.

but I wonder why they moved Guild if they were just going to sell it anyway, unless the Cordoba deal was already in the works. Most buyers would want the Westerly plant I would imagine.
No, most Guild fans who A.) frequent online guitar forums and B.) actually post on them might have a nostalgic preference for the Westerly, Rhode Island Guild factory, but most people who walk into music stores neither know or care about that. Simple fact. Let's not make the assumption that our own passion for the details is universal.

As for Fender acquiring Guild and then selling it off a few years later, Fender is carrying a mountain of debt and is simply trying to stay afloat. I doubt any of these transactions are part of any long-term master plan. They're just trying to get through this fiscal quarter.

whm
Old 07-21-2014, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade Hampton View Post
As for Fender acquiring Guild and then selling it off a few years later, Fender is carrying a mountain of debt and is simply trying to stay afloat. I doubt any of these transactions are part of any long-term master plan. They're just trying to get through this fiscal quarter.

whm
I'm told that there is still much turmoil at FMIC; last week I learned that the director of artist relations is gone and over the weekend I heard that the newly appointed president is already gone after being there for less than 3 months. But I guess the sales of Fender wine are pretty good?
Old 07-21-2014, 06:28 AM

Quote:
...but I wonder why they moved Guild if they were just going to sell it anyway, unless the Cordoba deal was already in the works. Most buyers would want the Westerly plant I would imagine.
The move was subsequent to the sale. As to Westerly, been closed over a dozen years.
Brad
Guild F212: 1964 (Hoboken), Guild Mark V: 1975 (Westerly), Guild Artist Award: 1975 (Westerly), Guild F50: 1976 (Westerly), Guild F512: 2010 (New Hartford), Pawless Mesquite Special: 2012, 90s Epi HR Custom (Samick), 2014 Guild OOO 12-fret Orpheum (New Hartford), 2013 12 fret Orpheum Dread (New Hartford), Guild BT258E, 8 string baritone, 1994 Guild D55, Westerly, 2023 Cordoba GK Negra Pro.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

ok long stretch analogy here but it worked in MY brain.

Yesterday my 13yo daughter wanted to play a board game. I agreed but I picked the game this time. I picked Risk. I taught her how to play. She beat me (no I didn't let her win). In explaining strategy to her, I kept emphasizing slow steady progress. Don't spread yourself too thin. Have a focus and goal. Don't lose sight of your current success, either.

Sitting here that conversation just came back to me as I read about Fender wine.....seriously, WTF?

And they wonder why they are floundering in chaos and debt.

They need to circle the wagons, stop the distractions, protect their core business and their former good name.

IMO, Fender should completely get out of the acoustic business. They are not good at that business. They should focus on their core business (electric guitars, basses and amplifiers). Stop dabbling in acoustics, buying other companies, and making wine.

Old 07-21-2014, 07:09 AM

Quote:
IMO, Fender should completely get out of the acoustic business. They are not good at that business. They should focus on their core business (electric guitars, basses and amplifiers). Stop dabbling in acoustics, buying other companies, and making wine.
IMO that's what almost every company should do but that's not how corporations work. Management is nearly always more worried about stock prices, options, buying and selling companies, churning debt in the bond markets etc than they are in actually making anything.

I fear for the future of Martin when Chris retires. They could go down the same path.
Old 11-18-2014, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabdart View Post
I'm just happy I was able to get my AJ reissue before all of this happened.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AronW View Post
It'll be interesting to see what happens to Gibson now, I've said for the past 5 years that the guitars made right now will be looked at as another golden era for Gibson, maybe we just saw the end of it
Pulling this up from the past, I'm curious what people who've really followed the Ren Ferguson era of Gibson would suggest are the really iconic guitars he re-issued, or issued anew.

I'd be particularly interested in any small bodied guitars that are especially worth looking at.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion