The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-23-2016, 04:30 PM

Memory is constructive. That is why reliance on eyewitness testimony can lead to innocent men being convicted of crimes. I don't think we need to conjure up dramatic claims to explain this.

And there are better justifications for looking carefully at our constructed reality and allowing our certainty in it to be undermined.

Nothing to see here.....
Old 08-23-2016, 07:25 PM

I'd only listen to more of the video if the "announcer" had a nasally Long Island accent.

Maybe...

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 08-24-2016, 07:19 AM

Snopes recently added an article on the Mandela effect.

http://www.snopes.com/2016/07/24/the-mandela-effect/

I watched about 5 minutes of the video posted earlier and couldn't take anymore. I'll go with the Snopes conclusion on this one:

Quote:
The Glitch Is in Your Memory, Not the Matrix
Old 08-24-2016, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypress Knee View Post
I am all for learning new stuff, but after all that trivia I am not going to spend and hour and fifteen minutes of my life watching a propaganda video unless a lot of other people here convince me that it is well worth the time spent.

CK

PS- I do watch all those Stephen Hawking related universe videos, so maybe the time spent is worth it. But don't toss out a dryfly lure in a wetfly season.
Having not watched this particular video, but with what I do know about the underlying "phenomenon", I would definitely not put it in the same category as anything Hawking-related.
Old 08-24-2016, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessupe View Post
Ok, here's the vid if any one wants to watch it. I'm not trying to promote or get anyone to believe any particular thing, I just stumbled across "The Mandela effect" on the interwebs and thought it was pretty trippy...Again I would warn those susceptible to "tripping out" to be cautious of how you take it all in...I would say that at the least it's an interesting observation of how our minds and memories work individually as well as collectively, when "everyone" knows what "it is" is

There are several other vids on this out there, I just picked this one because it goes over many of the "anomalies" HOWEVER the narration is done with an English woman computer generated voice, which could be annoying to some in that it has weird inflection now and then, but anyways, it is what it is, or it's what it is, haha

All I can say is the Dolly thing in Moonraker's tripping me out and makes me think there is a tear in the space time continium,

Again, I don't think I'd take any of it too seriously, but it is strange, just supposed to be a fun off topic post, that's all

The only person I know who actually believes in this BS also KNOWS the government has a secret program to read his mind...
Old 08-24-2016, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
The only person I know who actually believes in this BS also KNOWS the government has a secret program to read his mind...
They DON'T?????

Playing guitar badly since 1964.

Some Taylor guitars.
Three Kala ukuleles (one on tour with the Box Tops).
A 1937 A-style mandolin.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:01 PM

1. Interview with a Vampire
2. "Life is like a box of chocolates. You never know what you're going to get."
3. "Luke, I'm your father."
4. don't know
5. "and they will come."
7. 2 front seats, 1 long seat in the back--5 people total?
Old 08-24-2016, 11:28 PM

Well think of it what you will, but I'm pretty sure Dolly had braces...I can remember the Visa commercial that did a parody of it that they show in the vid, but well what ever the case may be, we'll just let this sleeping dog lie...

Answers are, for what it's worth;

Interview with THE vampire, not A vampire, as most remember it, and I guess the Academy awards that wrote the teleprompter that Letterman was reading got it wrong...As did Anne Rice the woman who wrote it when she was talking about it in an interview.

Life WAS like a box of chocolates, not IS.

"NO, I am your father", not LUKE, I am your father, even though James Earl Jones said the line "LUKE, I am your father" twice in interviews, you'd think he'd remember what his lines were, but I guess not, and I also guess all of us saying that over the years in a joking manner were wrong too...

Dolly apparently does not have braces and never did, even though as I mentioned, commercials parodied it. I sure remember her having braces.

Build it and HE will come, not "THEY will come"

JFK's car is a 6 seater with 6 people in the car, not a 4 seater with 4 people as many remember it and as is shown in the FBI reenactment films or the two museums dedicated to JFK, which have a 4 seat cars

well there you have the answers...but whatever the case, In my mind Dolly had braces, but I guess not.
Old 08-25-2016, 12:55 PM

I don't see any real mysteries here.

When spoken quickly, "Life is like a box.." or "Life was.." or "Interview with a.." or "Interview with the.." can sound pretty similar.

The Star Wars "No, I am your Father" vs " Luke, I am your father" could just be an erroneous pop culture phrase, similar to Casablanca's "Play it again Sam", Rick never said that.

The most puzzling one is the Moonraker example. I have been a Bond fan from the beginning, and honestly I don't remember the braces. But because so many people insist they did, suggests there is something there. Could it be a also a pop culture reference, like maybe a MAD magazine spoof did it? Or a commercial, as others suggest? My wife thought perhaps the original theatre showing contained it, but VHS and Disc releases didn't? I don't know, but that is truly the only puzzling question from those posed. IMO.
Epiphone Dot
Old 08-25-2016, 04:06 PM

This thread gave me a headache...
Old 08-25-2016, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyeetime View Post
I don't see any real mysteries here.

When spoken quickly, "Life is like a box.." or "Life was.." or "Interview with a.." or "Interview with the.." can sound pretty similar.

The Star Wars "No, I am your Father" vs " Luke, I am your father" could just be an erroneous pop culture phrase, similar to Casablanca's "Play it again Sam", Rick never said that.

The most puzzling one is the Moonraker example. I have been a Bond fan from the beginning, and honestly I don't remember the braces. But because so many people insist they did, suggests there is something there. Could it be a also a pop culture reference, like maybe a MAD magazine spoof did it? Or a commercial, as others suggest? My wife thought perhaps the original theatre showing contained it, but VHS and Disc releases didn't? I don't know, but that is truly the only puzzling question from those posed. IMO.
ya, that's the only one that got me too, but , meh, just meh'

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic