The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-13-2016, 05:05 PM

Default A Weakness For Watches

I must admit I have a weakness for nice watches. I'm partial to the "divers watch" kinda stuff with rubber straps. Can't stand digital watches, strictly an analog guy myself. My only problem is the really nice ones are pretty much out of my price range. I've been poking around Amazon lately for a decent looking divers watch in the $100 range, but apparently it's an effort in futility. I might stretch to $150 max, but that's as far as I can go. What are you sporting on your wrist?
Old 08-13-2016, 05:11 PM
Charter Member

I had a nice colelction of watches - no Rolex, just Citizen and Seiko for me. My favorite is this gorgeous gold hardware, white face script-lettered moon-phase watch, with a burgundy alligator pattern band. My other favorite is a really techncial multi-dial seiko. All my watches "died" but I stopped wearing watches when I started carrying cell phones.

I found this pic of my favorite model online

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 08-13-2016, 05:16 PM

I have never worn a wristwatch in my entire life. Wristwatches and rotating machinery do not belong together.
Old 08-13-2016, 05:20 PM

I have no super expensive watches, but some very minorly expensive watches in the overall scheme of watches. I have Edox, Invicta, Fossil, Citizen, and I just got a nice smart watch. Invicta got me into watches because they're fairly well made and they are cheap. However, since I got into the Edox level, I realize Invictas are ok, but not amazing (as they should be for their price point). My favorite non-smart watch is my Citizen Eco Drive. It looks nice and never needs a battery:

But since I got my smart watch, I've been wearing that most of the time:

Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-13-2016, 06:54 PM

I like watches that are accurate, durable and reliable. My $50 Timex's fill the bill. "Take a licking and keep on ticking." In my younger days I had a couple of watches that were more expensive, but less accurate, less water resistant (a must for trout fishermen) and less durable and reliable. Plus, there no longer seems to be such a thing as a good watch repair man these days. Why purchase an expensive watch that can't be repaired. And why purchase an expensive watch that will get dunked in a trout stream, and dropped many times in the process of my hobbies, yard chores and general clutziness. That's my thinking anyway. Besides, the older I get, the less I care about what time of the day, day of the week, week of the month, or even what month it is.
Old 08-13-2016, 07:59 PM

I have many analog watches, and for many years too. My most worn are the B&Rs, one stainless and one of the military type in ceramic od green. 42mm is where I like to stay on these. 46mm is way too clown like on most wrists. Also own a few Invictas, most are the Automatics. Also have a few what I call junkers that I wear mainly out in the yard or swimming. Most detailed are my 4 Renatos. All quartz movements but different in details. A Vulcan, T-Rex, Wildebeast and a Jakal. The T-Rex is the only one with a stainless bracelet, the others all have custom cut rubber, dual metal clasp bracelets.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Looburst View Post
I have many analog watches, and for many years too. My most worn are the B&Rs, one stainless and one of the military type in ceramic od green. 42mm is where I like to stay on these. 46mm is way too clown like on most wrists. Also own a few Invictas, most are the Automatics. Also have a few what I call junkers that I wear mainly out in the yard or swimming. Most detailed are my 4 Renatos. All quartz movements but different in details. A Vulcan, T-Rex, Wildebeast and a Jakal. The T-Rex is the only one with a stainless bracelet, the others all have custom cut rubber, dual metal clasp bracelets.
And if size is important, I would caution against trusting websites other than the original manufacturer for accurate specs. Seems like many of the watches I have been checking out on Amazon show inaccurate sizes. Many say they are 40mm when in fact they are actually 45mm and that can be a deal breaker for some folks.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:24 PM

My nicest watch is a Seiko. But because the largest I can find metal link band is tight on my wrist, I rarely wear it. Historically I'm partial to Hamilton military watches. But have found them not very durable for work wear. And due to increasing rarity, too expensive to repair or replace. I've got 3 "junkers" that didn't survive here that I probably could sell for parts. Currently I'm wearing a Timex Expedition for everyday.
Old 08-13-2016, 08:36 PM

Maybe 5-6 years ago I broke my watch, decided to wait a payday and buy a much nicer one.
Drove me nuts at first but I have never worn another wristwatch.

Side note - when I was very young I could not wear a watch. No matter the make or style it would stop for good in a matter of days to weeks.
Parents and such said it was due to the electricity running in my body.
Anyone else ever heard of this? (sorrry OP, not intending to hijack)
Old 08-13-2016, 09:39 PM

nada, that is what your phone is for.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 08-13-2016, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscmp View Post
nada, that is what your phone is for.

play music!
My problem with cell phone time checks is that you are pretty much unable to sneek a look at the time without being noticed when you don't want to be noticed sneeking a look at the time. With a wristwatch you can always sneek a look without drawing attention to yourself. And it's much easier to sneak that look quickly if you have an analog watch as opposed to digital. Many times when I'm in a boring situation that I know will end due to time constraints, I like to sneek a peak.
Old 08-14-2016, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverwolf View Post
Side note - when I was very young I could not wear a watch. No matter the make or style it would stop for good in a matter of days to weeks.
Parents and such said it was due to the electricity running in my body.
Anyone else ever heard of this? (sorrry OP, not intending to hijack)
One of my sisters is like this. She has tried many times but they all die in short order. Weird.

I used to feel uncomfortable without a watch for a long time. Then I was on a course (admittedly a wee bit of a woo-woo type course...) and we were not permitted any time piece, or jewelry either. I became extremely good at listening to my internal clock, plus deep attention to external clues, and it gave me a better than 95% accuracy in "guessing" the time to within five minutes.

I stopped wearing a watch. I do not have a cellphone so I do not have that alternative. A recently deceased friend in Healdsburg had a $250,000 watch; for the life of me I do not remember what it was. It was...beautiful in its way. However, the idea of a wristwatch having a $250,000 value simply seems stupid to me. Even if I was filthy rich it would seem stupid. Now, a $250,000 (more!) telescope, that would be easy.

Ah, perspective.

Celtic harps: 1994 Triplett Excelle, 1998 Triplett Avalon (the first ever made - Steve Triplett's personal prototype)
Old 08-14-2016, 03:47 AM
Charter Member

I also have a penchant for watches. I prefer rectangular bodies, and chronographs - and my preferred makes are Rotary.

I'm constantly searching for this one in a gold finish :

Old 08-14-2016, 04:11 AM

I've pre-ordered one of these beauties. Manual, hand-wound movement from a newly started company here in UK The Marloe Watch Company.
Old 08-14-2016, 05:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fumei View Post
...I became extremely good at listening to my internal clock, plus deep attention to external clues, and it gave me a better than 95% accuracy in "guessing" the time to within five minutes.....

I used to be like that. I wake up one minute before my alarm every day but the rest of my internal clock is not as accurate.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic