The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-21-2016, 07:33 PM

I have good luck with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcRTstH3vao

When I'm in a hurry, I use the house brand disposable blades from the local grocery store. Not sure if they're double or triple tracked but, they work just fine in a pinch.

Ray
Old 08-21-2016, 09:15 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RayCJ View Post
I have good luck with this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcRTstH3vao

When I'm in a hurry, I use the house brand disposable blades from the local grocery store. Not sure if they're double or triple tracked but, they work just fine in a pinch.

Ray
Ray you are one brave man.
Old 08-22-2016, 03:13 AM

I use gillette ultra or whatever they call them. I change the blade when it starts feeling a little blunt. How long that takes, buggad if I know. Probably, at least a month only use soap and shave whilst I am in the shower and haven't needed a mirror for about 40 years. If it feels alright, then I'm happy. There's way more to life than worrying about a razor blade.
Old 08-22-2016, 08:35 AM

Tell you what a luddite I am. I'm still shaving with the Gillette adjustable double-edge blade razor my I got from my parents back in high school when LBJ was president. It works and gives me better results than anything else I've tried and is a cinch to clean, too. The only problem I have with it is that calcification from hard water after daily use over 50 years has made the opening dial a little hard to twist, but that's it.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it. Just because someone has a new idea doesn't always mean that it's better... despite what the advertisers tell you.
Old 08-22-2016, 09:35 AM

I just tried one last week. It has good blades, and the handle they give you is comfortable, but for some reason it just wouldn't get the corners above my lips shaven cleanly...that drives me insane. I don't know if I'd use them on a regular basis just from that.

Then again, I have very thick whiskers that seem to eat razor blades but that's just me.

Otherwise, they're good blades at a great price delivered to your door.
Old 08-25-2016, 05:26 AM
Charter Member

Harry's is OK--I tried a full set with shave cream, handle and blades. I used it up and didn't order more because I felt they weren't as durable as the Gillette and probably ended up costing nearly as much. Too bad cuz i've really had it with Gillette's price gouging. I plan to try Dollar Shave Club too, but don't have high expectations. Actually, the razor I really liked was the Gillette Sensor, which is a two-blade design long ago abandoned. I learned recently you still get blades for it on Amazon, so I might try that again for a while. Those blades are expensive now too, so you can't win.
Old 08-25-2016, 06:54 AM

This might ruffle some feathers but any razor with more than two blades on it seems like nonsense. Even two seems like nonsense, but the cheapie Bics I use have two so I use them.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 08-25-2016, 11:22 AM

I use an old Gilette safety razor got from ebay ten years ago. New old stock from long ago, but if you want a brand new one Merkur and Edwin Jagger are widely available, excellent quality, and cheap ($40 & one will last a lifetime). I tried the expensive premium blades like Feather, they were no big deal, switched to Derby brand blades, made in Turkey: under $10 for 100 blades, each lasts 4-5 shaves.
Old 08-25-2016, 11:26 AM
Charter Member

I use the ones from Dollar Shave Club. So much cheaper than buying at the store and work just as well for me. I agree the wide razors make it kind of hard to shave under your nose, but I have a big nose. I've adapted...

Love the service.
Old 08-29-2016, 07:54 PM

As stated earlier in the thread they have Harry's at my Target.

Highly recommend Cremo shave cream. I don't know about the Doctor Carver Harry's is pushing, but Cremo is amazing and lasts forever. Also available at Target.

I would try Harry's but I have a 10 year old Gillette handle and bought a 30 pack of blades at Costco a month or two ago. I rarely shave with blades. Only when I go 2 or 3 days without using the electric.
Old 08-31-2016, 04:14 PM

Dovo straight razor, badger hair brush, and Baum.be shaving cream when I have time. Otherwise, it's a Mach 3 with shaving gel.

"Life has no limit, if you're not afraid to get in it"-Mason Jennings
Old 08-31-2016, 08:06 PM
Charter Member

Myself and a friend got them -- friend shaves his head and the blades cut the living crappe out of him. I can use them on my face and neck but do not feel they give as good/close a shave as I get from Gilette.

Sharing halves your sorrows and doubles your joys!

2013 Taylor 314ce ("Cecelia" = patron saint of musicians)
1997 Taylor 414ce ("Winnie" - for my Mom)
Zager ZAD-50ce ("Tommy" - my stepbrother KIA Viet Nam)
Ibanez AM73B-TF
Seagull S6 Original ("Herbie," my Dad)
Martin X Series GCPX2AE
Old 09-01-2016, 11:08 AM

The thread title made me think of this very depressing song by Lou Reed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsPiMIN4kn8

When you write, you wouldn’t just throw words into a bowl. There has to be a beginning, middle and end. Same thing with phrasing on the guitar"

Jimmie Vaughan
Old 09-01-2016, 12:39 PM
Charter Member

I have a fairly heavy dark beard. I've had the free trial blade and cream for 4 shaves now - with no signs of dulling. I think Harry's makes a good razor, but nothing that would make me eager to switch from my Gillette. The cream is ok, but a little too fragrant for my liking. I don't have any trouble getting a close, cut-free shave on any part of my face. And I can shave under my nose with no problem. The packaging clearly states not for use shaving heads. I find the small single blade on the back intended for trimming and tight spots virtually useless. I will probably accept my first paid shipment and see how I like it for a month of shaves. It's cheap enough.
Old 09-02-2016, 12:34 PM

They are doing excellent marketing.

I still and will continue to say till my dying breath that short of a straight razor it doesn't get any better than this:

I personally favor the Merkur 34C with Feather Blades but that is just me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic